Next Week's Goal: Which reward would you rather have? (Spoilers)

Maybe, just maybe, after some time, they will churn out a gimballed version of those engineerable MCs. For now, I've not decided whether I'll bother with the fixed versions, but I will be fighting for Zende partners regardless.

But the multi-cannon requires expensive (read waste of your in-game time) mats to reload. No indication that it will be necessary for missiles so far.
Also missiles will require similar reload.

Multi Cannons are already excellent against scouts. Not sure what they're aiming for here, maybe engineered AX weapons?
If you are good with fixed - so good that you can hit scouts, you are better to use gauss cannon - it takes cca 3 hits for scout. That's one salvo.
For other people there are turretted AX MC, because there are no gimbals.

I am terrible with missiles, in fact i was ganked yesterday by someone with missiles, further compounding my annoyance.
I do however do da AX(tm), so i think it has to be missiles, won’t somebody please think of the (Relspi’s) children?!
Get turetted AX MC for scouts, they will shred them even when your aim is abysmal. For interceptors you have to somewhat learn fixed and get gauss cannon.

Those new weapons will be probably worse - they just might be useful as addition, however against interceptors you already require 6 hardpoints - 4 gauss, 1 flak and tv beam for utility.
And there is not many ships that can fit so many weapons ... and only few of them are viable.

IF FDev wanted to make thargoids more accessible, they should make gimballed ax weapons ...

Also missiles will require similar reload.

If you are good with fixed - so good that you can hit scouts, you are better to use gauss cannon - it takes cca 3 hits for scout. That's one salvo.
For other people there are turretted AX MC, because there are no gimbals.

Get turetted AX MC for scouts, they will shred them even when your aim is abysmal. For interceptors you have to somewhat learn fixed and get gauss cannon.

Those new weapons will be probably worse - they just might be useful as addition, however against interceptors you already require 6 hardpoints - 4 gauss, 1 flak and tv beam for utility.
And there is not many ships that can fit so many weapons ... and only few of them are viable.

IF FDev wanted to make thargoids more accessible, they should make gimballed ax weapons ...

I learned to use fixed weapons shooting gauss cannons at scouts👍

o7

I recently signed-up for PP to get the packhound missile launchers.

Bought 10 of them, fitted them to every hardpoint on my T10, went to a RES for a bit of hilarity then took 'em off again, put 'em on a shelf and haven't touched 'em since.

So, yeah.
100% MC for me. Not a fan of missiles.

I would be if they were more powerful, mind you.
For me, a couple of missile racks should be a decent defence for a cargo ship.
As things are, they're little more than fireworks.
Missiles are already plenty powerful. Anymore so and they'd be well into overpowered territory. Honestly, even then they probably are, provided you're using them for their intended role which is scouring the surface modules off of targets and quickly tearing down MRP integrity.

-So next week's Community Goal is a Conflict Zone with the option of supporting for a Missile Rack or a Multi-cannon.
-Knowing the community of this game the winner is 100% going to be the Multi-cannon.
-But placing that aside, which Module would you rather have?
-I like the idea of a shiny blue missile flying at my enemies, so I will be attempting to support the Missile Rack side myself, despite the opposition.

-Which side will you be supporting?

Ideally the one with guided weapons or steerable weapon mounts, fixed mounts and point and shoot rockets are so 18th century.

With that not being an option I will probably go random to pick a side, possibly each time.

Edit: though having just looked again at the synthesis menu Multi Cannon look easier to keep fed.

People at AXI did the research / math.

Those multi-cannons will be most probably utter trash against any interceptor.
Reason: Thargoids Interceptors have hardness 100/140/170/?. Multicannons class 1/2 just don't have enough armor piercing. And special effects do not work on thargoids - so corrosive won't help.

Engineered Missiles will be so-so. Hitting will be of course harder - but interceptor is quite big target. And that ill-thought reload ...

See https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/bpe2x4 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/bpe2x4/choosing_the_better_advanced_weapon_for_ax/

Sir this was hell of a reading. Thank you very much for opening my eyes. Now I know what kind of game I play. I grinded same dungeons sometimes 250x in row to drop items I wanted, some never drop. After reading your post I finally admitted to myself that Elite is typical MMO with everything necessary included. No good.

I use AX multi-cannons for killing Scouts, I was all for the Zende multi-cannons until I found out they are fixed only. If the AX dumbfire missiles pack a punch, then they might be a better option for killing Interceptor quicker. Hopefully we get the weapon specs, so we can all make an informed choice.

Maybe if we can get the conflict to end in a score draw so both sides win.

Indeed, at while we're at it, pay a visit to Ram Tah for an alien Guidance system that cant be jammed and jam`s the attackers E.C.M and point defence guns.
Prof Pain for G5 Dirty thrust system, Liz Ryder to enhance the warheads while Tod the blaster can enhance the Ammo with a Size 4 internal ammo rack.

Buy all Xeno ammo from tech brokers thus eliminating mat`s for Mr Easy can't be bothered, Joe.
Empress Josephine agrees with this "let them have cake, and also let them eat it."

Final thought`s, if your ship uses Guarding tech, will the thargoids always pull you out of hyperspace and attack you.
if your ship uses Guarding tech will it affect your ship`s computer with a Virus @ a later date TBA.

Anyhoo Jesting all above.

People at AXI did the research / math.

Those multi-cannons will be most probably utter trash against any interceptor.
Reason: Thargoids Interceptors have hardness 100/140/170/?. Multicannons class 1/2 just don't have enough armor piercing. And special effects do not work on thargoids - so corrosive won't help.

Engineered Missiles will be so-so. Hitting will be of course harder - but interceptor is quite big target. And that ill-thought reload ...

See https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/bpe2x4 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/bpe2x4/choosing_the_better_advanced_weapon_for_ax/

Thanks for that. First I thought those new weapons could be a good idea. Now it seems they might really be pretty useless. Guess I can pack my stuff and fly home again.

I did hope for the multicannons being a viable support weapon for AX fight. Guess AXI is right that due to small size and low AP it will not be the case. Maybe it's going to be a littel upgrade to old AXI MC for decimating scouts? But as others sayd, we already have enough good weapons against scouts. And scouts are not immune against normal human weapons, so there is really no need to give us a weapon that can exceed the 4 experimental limits for scouts only. o_O

So what would make those weapons more worthwhile for combating Thargoid Interceptors? Some ideas:
  • bigger gunz (alll sizes 1-4 should be available for more customization)
  • gimballs or seeker (make it moar eazy)
  • higher AP (Interceptor damage!)
  • better other stats (missile speed, better range, ...)
edit:
I am not sure if its fact yet, that new weapons will have base stats from regular weapon of the same type. Is this confirmed?

Last edited:
After years of fighting the Thargoids, we finally made a technological breakthrough and can now put even more small fixed MCs on out Corvettes! Hurray!

I'm extremely whelmed.

Please please listen to the people actually doing AX work.
Feelz is a bad advice in this game, numbers aren't.

And to kill scouts you don't need any new weapon, you can kill them perfectly dead with gimballed bursts or pulses.
IMHO, neither of what is being offered will make diddly squat difference fighting interceptors. The xeno scanner needs a buff and the existing weapons need gimballed versions and for solo players, the CZs need a few more NPCs who can put up a decent fight.

I am not sure if its fact yet, that new weapons will have base stats from regular weapon of the same type. Is this confirmed?
See reddit article I linked, it has everything there ... or in comments.

FDev stated that the new advanced weapons will have same stats as current, they will differ only in ammo synthesis - that's why it was possible to do this research before the weapons were actually released.

However, it can be changed in the future when they will finally see that those weapons are underperforming. And that will be because people will complain ... not some internal testing.

Interesting - as the groups who actually fight the Thargoids want the missiles. Interested to see if they will have issues overcoming the communities sudden love for fixed multicannons.
AXI isn't the only group that fights thargoids, just the loudest.
It isn't that I disagree. It seems both weapons will be shall we say, not that great. It will come down to preference for which weapon you will would like to end up not using.

Last edited:
I believe this is the best strategy, then one weapon can be tested alongside another. Why miss out on something that should be available anyway ?
Right like your going to be able to tell fed pilots to join the empire side to balance it out and kill the independents...
There are going to be capital empire ships and cutters in the combat zone the feds won't be able to skip these targets...
There not going to back the empire faction... they will side with the Indis over empire... they done it in past CGs...
Politics allway gets in the way... as there are more fed players active than empire any way...
Jump ship to zende before the battle even starts... your zende rep is going to be higher if you took part in phase one, so CZ kill missions if active will pay more from the start on zende side...

Last edited:
Top Bottom