Night vision concern

IMHO Silent Run mechanic is thx of that a bit BROKEN in PvP.

Why?

Your sensors do not see cold stuff but your night vision does it. Night vision should be limited to the objects that are in some way "detectable" by sensors.

Sensors could be then also improved. Better sensors could not only mean longer range, but also better object identification capability...

Night vision range could depend from sensor class.

2 km for D
3 km for C
4 km for B
5 km for A?

Dunno i took km from the void.

You do know anyone using VR can keep your "silent running black friday" ship in view 99.9% of the time, right?

Night Vision already seems to be range dependent. You can verify this yourself by using it on a planet.

Still would be noce to get some real life data about that.

BTW. I would love to see a cloak module. ;) Shields or partial transparency would be cool!

Not tried myself but apparently night vision lights up the Cmdr using it like the 4th of July. It's not a HUD projection, the terrain around you is actually painted with the grid texture. I understand it can be seen from 30+km away in an asteroid belt.

Don't know whether this is a bug or intended design.

Silent running doesn't make you invisible anyway, just harder to target.

Yup. But if you silent run in black - you are not super easy to see. This changes things dramatically.

If I turn on Night Vision, every NPC, CMDR are just like a christmas tree.

Last edited:
Yup. But if you silent run in black - you are not super easy to see. This changes things dramatically.

So it evens out then. Your potential target will be easier to find in a large instance from well beyond scanner range, but it'll be harder to get as close without being spotted. They still won't be able to target you as easily, but if you fire on them any turrets set to fire at will can still hit you and provide a manual aim guide for the rest of the player's weapons.

Personally I think adding night vision is a good counter to a cold ship, but I'd prefer that it not make me so visible so I'm unlikely to actually use it in a populated instance if it remains as it is currently.

Still it would be nice if sensor class would have impact on it.

IMO night vision is a bit to good counter to a cold ship and still it is a good chance of making sensors of higher classes more important than they actually are. Win-Win scenario here.

Seems like silent running needs an upgrade to blend in, when using nightvision. I stll love to see the duration doubled and the cockpit lights switching to a dim red, when SR is turned on. Please give us real U-Boot Schleichfahrt feeling, Frontier :) - besides my wishes, the silent running mechanic is pretty cool already. I would not like to see it disapear or it becoming useless.

Seems like silent running needs an upgrade to blend in, when using nightvision. I stll love to see the duration doubled and the cockpit lights switching to a dim red, when SR is turned on. Please give us real U-Boot Schleichfahrt feeling, Frontier :) - besides my wishes, the silent running mechanic is pretty cool already. I would not like to see it disapear or it becoming useless.

Only if Frontier would add "cloak module". Imagine that it would distort sensors and make ship semi transparent. But you would have a choice. Silent run or cloak. (cloak module would disable shields when activated)

Even if you use silent running with black paint your ship still has some external lights on that can't be turned off, also your thrusters will give you away.

IMHO Silent Run mechanic is thx of that a bit BROKEN in PvP.

Why?

Your sensors do not see cold stuff but your night vision does it. Night vision should be limited to the objects that are in some way "detectable" by sensors.

Sensors could be then also improved. Better sensors could not only mean longer range, but also better object identification capability...

Night vision range could depend from sensor class.

2 km for D
3 km for C
4 km for B
5 km for A?

Dunno i took km from the void.

I always thought silent running was to avoid a scan and in combat another method to break weapons lock and not really to make you invisible.

I always thought silent running was to avoid a scan and in combat another method to break weapons lock and not really to make you invisible.

Yes. But it is not about making you invisible but harder to get hit by hitscan (like rail gun).

In deep space, it can be difficult to hit a SR target with hitscan because you barely see it. As a tactic also, some people use heat sink and only bank when they are cold (because they are not targettable) and the only thing that made it easier to hit with hit scan was the SCB effect. You can also loose the sight on a good SR.

Nightvision and new lightning simply restrict a lot the use of SR (in PvP).

Only if Frontier would add "cloak module". Imagine that it would distort sensors and make ship semi transparent. But you would have a choice. Silent run or cloak. (cloak module would disable shields when activated)

I´d also like a radio transmission decoder module, which could be used to scramble other CMDRs voice comms. In combination, those two mechanics would make a wonderful introduction to stealth and scout missions. Could also work on voice-acted NPCs...

Yes. But it is not about making you invisible but harder to get hit by hitscan (like rail gun).

In deep space, it can be difficult to hit a SR target with hitscan because you barely see it. As a tactic also, some people use heat sink and only bank when they are cold (because they are not targettable) and the only thing that made it easier to hit with hit scan was the SCB effect. You can also loose the sight on a good SR.

Nightvision and new lightning simply restrict a lot the use of SR (in PvP).

Do you think there should be a cost to using night vision? Or more of one if it continues to broadcast your location?

You do know anyone using VR can keep your "silent running black friday" ship in view 99.9% of the time, right?

Night Vision already seems to be range dependent. You can verify this yourself by using it on a planet.

This! When the Black friday paints were introduced, i was expecting a few complaints about "pay2win" for PvP because it makes eyeballing a little bit harder than having the white-red paint on the FDL.
This nightvision just brings it back in line IMO so nobody can say anymore paintjobs would be "pay2win".

The downside however is, that visiting the SCB effect isn't easy with nightvision on. Chances are high, that you miss the effect and miss the chance for your feedback rail.

So at the end in sum, i think it is absolutely okay how it is now [up]

Do you think there should be a cost to using night vision? Or more of one if it continues to broadcast your location?

Just a thought (around combat) but maybe it could be restricted to analysis mode and/or a range of 1km max.
It could also have drawback (when used in combat) like :
- taking shots while using nightvision affect your hud and might blind you for a couple of seconds.

Top Bottom