No famine systems?

Just now I was looking for a famine system and was surprised to find none. I don't generally deal much with the BGS, assuming that it "just works", but this got me looking. So I found this sub-forum and read through the Known Issues with the 3.3.02 BGS thread.

Am I correct, then, that the BGS is still bugged and that there still are no famine systems around? I made a visual sweep through the Galaxy map, and I also did a search in EDDB...

You can make your own, takes a bit of effort, hence none at the moment. gl!

I have been trying to find out how "you can make your own" and how much work "takes a bit of effort" means. In case someone else is reading this thread and is asking the same questions - I found this interesting post in the "A Full Explanation of Elite: Dangerous' BGS" thread:

[...]

- "Triggers" such as those in pre-3.3 BGS for Boom, Investment, Bust, Famine, Civil Unrest and Lockdown no longer exist, rather they exist as points on the slider.

That last one is the biggest one, and why a significant portion of the guide is no longer valid. One does no longer just "does activities which cause a state". Using the old system, you could quite happily jump from Economic Boom to Famine in a single tick, just by doing "Activities which cause famine". This is no longer the case.

Rather, there are now just activities which increase/decrease economic/security sliders. You can no longer "jump" to a state. So if you were in an Investment state, and wanted to cause Famine, you'd need to do a large amount of activities which reduce the economic state over the course of many ticks, and as this occurs, you'll transition down from Investment to Boom to None to Bust to Famine.... and likewise for security state.

[...]

So even though I still don't know how "you can make your own", I'm giving up on the notion because it's definitely too much work. I just wanted a famine system so that I could farm a distribution centre with wake scanning. So what I'm doing now is gathering random pieces of grade 5 data materials that I can trade in for Datamined Wake Exceptions. Reportedly the Jameson crash site is good for this. See this post in yet another forum thread:

Go to the Jameson crashed Cobra for all your data needs. Scan the 4 beacons and get adaptive encryptor captures almost every time. That's a G5 mat. Then go to the data trader for what you need.

HIP 12099
Planet 1B

I just wanted a famine system so that I could farm a distribution centre with wake scanning. So what I'm doing now is gathering random pieces of grade 5 data materials that I can trade in for Datamined Wake Exceptions.
Since it looks from your signature that you don't mind a bit of travel, I'd recommend Jaques Station in Colonia for wake scanning. The station is busy and has three tourist beacons next to it, so there's always plenty of wakes to scan.

As for Famine, the problem is that there are very few activities which decrease the economy slider below None, and lots which increase it, so anywhere with player traffic the sliders tend to go up, and anywhere without player traffic they drift back to None, so you have to do very specific things (massacre missions targeting a specific faction) in a system that no-one else ever visits.
(And then when you do it, you'll get a bunch of people showing up for the DWEs, running missions, trading, etc. and it'll be gone the next day)

Since it looks from your signature that you don't mind a bit of travel, I'd recommend Jaques Station in Colonia for wake scanning. The station is busy and has three tourist beacons next to it, so there's always plenty of wakes to scan.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. For the moment I will stick to farming the Jameson crash site.

As for Famine, the problem is that there are very few activities which decrease the economy slider below None, and lots which increase it, so anywhere with player traffic the sliders tend to go up, and anywhere without player traffic they drift back to None, so you have to do very specific things (massacre missions targeting a specific faction) in a system that no-one else ever visits.
(And then when you do it, you'll get a bunch of people showing up for the DWEs, running missions, trading, etc. and it'll be gone the next day)

That makes a lot of sense! Many thanks for taking the time to write this explanation for a BGS noob :).

All sounds like a lot of work for some mere DWE’s...

A Viper3/Cobra3 at a nice busy station will get it done in no time at all.👍

Sj6hGXr.png

Unless there are unvisited systems at the edge of the bubble that have fallen into famine, as of yesterday, there was no Famine in the bubble.

Sj6hGXr.png

Unless there are unvisited systems at the edge of the bubble that have fallen into famine, as of yesterday, there was no Famine in the bubble.

Is the prevalence of Expansion slightly misrepresentative, with Expansion being a faction-wide which only really impacts one system?

Also totally unsurprised about the lack of states like Civil Unrest, Bust, Lockdown and Famine. FD desperately need to address this bias in the BGS... but I'm just sick of banging that drum.

Correct, but that only really affects factions that are in multiple systems, so it doesn't skew that badly. But yes, with expansion faction wide, that number is over-inflated.

And I am with you on the negative states. From what I heard was discussed at the Elite Meet, even Frontier thinks that the BGS is a bit "too stable" at the moment, but they're balancing carefully.

Top Bottom