No incentive to play Franchise (Some Suggestions on a complete overhaul)

As a whole I don't think Franchise adds anything to the game, That being said I just got the game and I've played 168 hours in the past two weeks of strictly Franchise mode according to Steam. I love the game and I wish the online portion was what I thought it was going to be, but once you get 100k CC there isn't any reason for me to keep playing. I play on medium diff and I never have money/staff issues, all I do at the start is make an efficient 8 or 6 box habitat and ill have 100k cash in minutes. So if Cash isn't an issue and CC's aren't an issue why keep playing Franchise? Id just as well be better off playing Sandbox mode cause I have Unlimited resources in both modes. I'm sure Franchise mode was probably in the crack of the bottom of the barrel for them since the only thing different is a "Player" market but if they have the feature then why not make something of it?

I'm sure the games goal is to allow players with creative minds to fill the whole make with large wonderous habitats and paths but I don't, I'm more of an efficient player and I find this game has some fundamental gameplay flaws. When starting new zoos I do not care about low profit animals I fill them up with trash and put contraceptives on them and refill the habitat with more trash when the old trash dies. The "Online" aspect of this game needs to be slowed way down for everyone no exceptions on an even playing field and rare breeds need to be rarer especially the genetically mutated ones like Albino's.

[Animal Growth] I think one of the biggest changes to Franchise or the whole game in fact and could be very important is selecting which habitat or making the pill stop the animal from aging (IF NOT BREEDING). It is such a pain in the rear to replace my filler habitats with trash every single time they die. If they are on the pill they need to enter god mode because there is no difference between that and sticking them in storage for eternity. You can also make a whole new zoo for 100 CC and make tons of mini pens and stick all the animals you want to keep in them and leave the zoo, they will never die. Or simply making Storage and Neglected Zoo animals die at a slower rate.

Add Value to animals make it like a trading card game. These are just a few things I could think of off the top of my head I don't usually post on game forums because all it ever does is fall on deaf ears but I would like to keep playing this game but currently in a rut and bored of it already. thanks for reading and good luck with the game!

Database
  • For the love of all that is glory why does it take me 20 clicks for an action to happen on the market......
An "Online ever changing Market" is not an excuse

Marketplace
  • Remove the CC cap
Once you can afford one 10k animal what's next? nothing... because all I can do is just buy another 10k animal because all your doing is investing 20k into a mating pair and you'll more then likely coming out with 50k profit of CC in offspring big whoop
  • Add a bidding/buy now system
  • Add filters
Only Gold/Silver/Bronze/Nothing, Only 0-9999 Appeal

Gameplay
  • [Game speed] Pausing the game is fine as that hinders you but allowing players on an online market to accelerate animal growth gives a huge advantage.
2x and 3x have to be disabled
  • Difficulty needs to be standard for everyone.
Allowing Easy mode just to flood the market with Animals? why?
  • Animal growth stopped (Info at the top of the thread ^) but if not see below
  • Animal growth needs to be set standard at around 2.5 which is in the middle of the current options or set up to 5x.
If you want to make less profit and less management

Animals
  • CC Per Release (You can make Pig, Bird and Lizard farms and get Hundreds of almost instant CC)
Releasing CC needs to be about 25% of the value of the animal, releasing the animal to the wild should be the last resort. (ex. Lions buy and sell for around 1k each, they also release for around 800-1k each)
  • Rare animals need to be rare and desirable
Reduce offspring Genetic gains, Make 3 new tiers of Genetics i.e 90%/95%/100% you can make the portriats holographic or add Normal>Bronze>Silver>Gold>Emerald>Ruby>Diamond
  • 3 New Animal Genetics
Size Gene <------>
Longevity Gene <------>
Fertility Gene <------>
Immunity Gene <----->
Energy Gene <-----> (How much do they sleep/shelter vs running around for people to see)
Behavior Gene <-----> Conformation or Structural Soundness (How likely are they to adapt being captive? Do they always start fights? Do they breed?)
Growth Rate <------> (How fast they mature)

*PS Community rewards are hot garbage
  • Add a leaderboard.
  • Add a special board around the portrait of marketplace animals to show that your buying from someone who placed well in the event. also makes there animal standout from the rest.
  • Double the Releasing CC price, make it more rewarding to release during the event.

Last edited:
Database
- For the love of all that is glory why does it take me 20 clicks for an action to happen on the market......
(An "Online ever changing Market" is not an excuse)

For some people on the franchise market, we have found that if you click and animal once and then push ENTER, it will give you better results than clicking 20 times. I'm not a dev, so I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, or even explain why this works, but it might be worth a try if it is giving you trouble.

Well, you already played 168h, so I guess that not everything is bad. ;) But having played several 100h on franchise mode as well, I share a lot of the sentiments you have. But the core problem is, that planet zoo is just not a particularly good management game. Instead, the best features in this game are the possibilities of the piece by piece building and the animal genetics. I still prefer franchise over sandbox, because 1) animals are not that easily replaceable in franchise and 2) I like to have some light management between building, because only building a model to look at would bore me

Last edited:
Well, you already played 168h, so I guess that not everything is bad. ;) But having played several 100h on franchise mode as well, I share a lot of the sentiments you have.
Yeah haha 150 of those hours are in starting 20 different zoos with different layouts until I discovered the 8 Habitat layouts which completely breaks the game with how efficient it is.
But the core problem is, that planet zoo is just not a particularly good management game. Instead, the best features in this game are the possibilities of the piece by piece building and the animal genetics. I still prefer franchise over sandbox, because 1) animals are not that easily replaceable in franchise
I agree its a horrible management game, the genetics I feel are half baked. We need a few more statistics for the animals maybe they should add something like behaviors low % is aggressive <-----------> high % they are passive and able to be in captivity. Right now there is no risk/reward with the animals.

Size Gene <------>
Longevity Gene <------>
Fertility Gene <------>
Immunity Gene <----->
Energy Gene <-----> (How much do they sleep/shelter vs running around for people to see)
Behavior Gene <-----> Conformation or Structural Soundness (How likely are they to adapt being captive? Do they always start fights? Do they breed?)

I still prefer franchise over sandbox, because 1) animals are not that easily replaceable in franchise
I don't/can't play sandbox because I don't like creative mode in most games it bores me to have everything handed to me, so I'm not sure what your referring to when you say animals aren't easily replaceable. I know sandbox has anti welfare and stuff so maybe it has anti death? I never have problems filling my filler habitats with Frontierzoo animals just to generate cash for upkeep. Once I have 5 habitats that can sustain lions which cost $10-30k per feed you pretty much beat the game, sure you can then move on the Gorillas/Elephants/Giraffes but as soon as you have those you have no more goals.

Last edited:
Overall I like the idea of more strategy/challenge in Franchise mode. I basically only play Franchise mode and sandbox for experimenting/practicing

I'm not sure removing the CC cap will help people. It's not a big deal when you have loads but for starters, a big deal. For some that's not much fun. More uses for CC would be nice.
I think after the recent change in the animal trade centre (strict 50 cap) and adding the removal of the CC cap, i'm not sure that mix will work.
In overall bidding in gaming is done poorly, for some people it's a sport to constantly raise the bidding price - even when they aren't interested.

The gameplay suggestions. I really don't like those suggestions (game-speed, only 1 difficulty) Some people (starters) benefit from more animals on the market, I released tons of cheap good animals for others to enjoy. I play a lot on 2x or 3x just for the challenge and to see if I proper managed stuff. (walking away from 30-60 minutes) and see what problems arise.

For the animal suggestions: imo the releasing CC value is part of the actual value. The value on the market is the one that is determined by the community. I think people wouldn't like the overall message of not rewarding releasing animals.
Rare animals should be rare, i agree on that one. But most people want rare animals to be fully accessable to everyone. (long running discussion in the first few months of the game)
The 3 new genes: Growth is determined by age, don't see the need for an extra bar to see how fast they mature. Energy bar doesn't sound that exciting, imo doesn't add much to game. I like the behavior one. Many people want more diversity in animal behavior, could be interesting.

• Add a leaderboard.
  • Add a special board around the portrait of marketplace animals to show that your buying from someone who placed well in the event. also makes there animal standout from the rest.
  • Double the Releasing CC price, make it more rewarding to release during the event.
Like it. More statistics/leaderboards does give an extra motivation to do well.

Some of the things I'm looking for and suggesting would probably require full rewrite of the code but I don't know maybe something for them to think about for Planet Zoo 2.

I'm not sure removing the CC cap will help people. It's not a big deal when you have loads but for starters, a big deal. For some that's not much fun. More uses for CC would be nice.
I think after the recent change in the animal trade centre (strict 50 cap) and adding the removal of the CC cap, i'm not sure that mix will work.
In overall bidding in gaming is done poorly, for some people it's a sport to constantly raise the bidding price - even when they aren't interested.

I didn't know about a restriction cap that's interesting could that be because they don't actually have true dedicated servers? Once the game hits around year 3 they very well could just shut it down as its not finically worth it for them. But you are correct Open Markets can be cancerous but that's a risk I would be willing to take, you could add heavy tax mathematics making it highly unwise to try and sell animals at 1million CC. There are tons of things you could do with out that 50 restriction cap but I'm most certain they just don't want to deal with online servers.

The gameplay suggestions. I really don't like those suggestions (game-speed, only 1 difficulty) Some people (starters) benefit from more animals on the market, I released tons of cheap good animals for others to enjoy. I play a lot on 2x or 3x just for the challenge and to see if I proper managed stuff. (walking away from 30-60 minutes) and see what problems arise.

Any type of speed acceleration is great in an Offline environment, but with an online Economy you just can't have it. If they truely wanted an Online game mode they can't give other players advantages but like I said my suggestions would create a whole new game. This game has NO mid and endgame income mechanics, its great in the start because you can get screwed if you build too big to fast you have to find a balance. Once you get going with 4 or more habitats the game is a joke management wise due to the amount of cash you get.

For the animal suggestions: imo the releasing CC value is part of the actual value. The value on the market is the one that is determined by the community. I think people wouldn't like the overall message of not rewarding releasing animals.

I never researched a zoo before I played this game but from what I read Real Life Zoos don't normally release animals into the wild, they do conservation through education. Releasing a captive animal any older then a very young adult will most certainly kill it as it wouldn't know how to servive. Zoos are a for profit business but they do spend a lot of Research & Development and Conservation projects.

Rare animals should be rare, i agree on that one. But most people want rare animals to be fully accessible to everyone. (long running discussion in the first few months of the game)
The 3 new genes: Growth is determined by age, don't see the need for an extra bar to see how fast they mature. Energy bar doesn't sound that exciting, imo doesn't add much to game. I like the behavior one. Many people want more diversity in animal behavior, could be interesting.

Energy would add and extra layer of "Not getting a good view" if they are a low energy animal they will sleep or rest in a shelter so you would want to breed better energy levels so they stay out in the open more for better donations.

Growth would accelerate the time between newborn and young adult, say the Zoopedia says 2 years to reach mature age. A perfect Growth score could result in the animal reaching the young adult age at 1.5 years, which makes it faster for you to put it on the market or breed.

Behavior correlates in breeding domestication in the animals, adopting rescues should be especially dangerous to your zoo, as they would tend to be more wild and unpredictable then an animal breed in captivity. so having a low behavior score could result in faster damage to your barriers, more consumption of food so they need more of it so it costs you more to feed, I know its in the game already but Alpha Females can prevent mating with others so you would see even more of that making it harder for your to breed.

I think the issue is you're looking for people to tell you how to play the game. You're looking for people to recommend and tell you what to do next. I think you would have WAY more fun if you organically came up with things you wanted to do by yourself. Get creative and if you come up with a fun idea (that you find fun, not what other people want to do) you might get another 168 hr out of it. Find what you like doing and then make your own game out of it.

I love Franchise mode, but ofcourse there is always room for improvement.

Firstly: I disagree with removing the CC cap, as said by NL_mutso, this will mess up the economy for starters, however I would suggest raising the CC cap to 20 or 30 K for some animals, for example: I feel like Gold rated African Elephants could use a higher limit. This would give people a goal to work towards (obtaining enough CC to buy an African elephant) but also give more incentive to breed said elephants... I can easily breed and sell a female Japanese Macaque for 10.000 CC, so why should I bother with breeding elephants, which takes so much more time, effort and room in my zoo.

Secondly I really wish they allowed the maximum entrance ticket price to be higher, because once you hit 75$ entrance fee you can add as much extra animals as you want the guests will refuse to pay more, that means: no incentive to build a really big zoo, as the costs of having more animals go up but you cant have an equal increase in income due to the limited entrance fee.

Thirdly: I wish I could start a whole new franchise, without deleting or getting rid of the one I have. I want to start with 0 CC again and see how I deal with that limitation with all the knowledge I gathered from playing 500 hours of franchise mode.

For some people on the franchise market, we have found that if you click and animal once and then push ENTER, it will give you better results than clicking 20 times. I'm not a dev, so I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, or even explain why this works, but it might be worth a try if it is giving you trouble.

This is a great tip, and just to add to it, the SPACE key also works and I use it all the time when clicks are not registering in the market.

As someone who is a few hours shy of reaching 1k hours of playtime (and 95% of that being in the franchise mode) I definitely agree with you on several points.

Franchise mode is simply not challenging enough after you figure out how to make money and CC. As you said, the most common way is to plop down some exhibits, put in animals that breed a lot, and can sell for quite a sum of money (most notably the scorpions are quite the money makers). Just starting out and need CC? No problem, buy a breeding pair of Nile monitors, have 8 babies, and release them for 100CC each. I have played all 3 levels of difficulty and the exhibit method works every time, without fail.

The reason why I rarely play sandbox mode is that there's no real challenge, everything is handed to me. While I do occasionally hop into a sandbox zoo just to be creative, a few years of franchise end up being the same. I have everything researched, I am rolling in money and CC, every animal is available to me.

Obtaining animals should be more challenging in my opinion. I wish there would be more challenges presented to us along the way. For example, a zoo in India is willing to give you a mate for your female Bengal tiger if you breed 10 gold rated Japanese macaques. If you get your grizzly bear welfare stats all to 100%, a zoo from France will give you a male silver-rated Polar bear as a reward. These might not be the best examples, but I feel we need more and better challenges than the usual "Bring the educational rating of the Goliath frog up to 15%". And then you get 1000$ for completing it. Gee, thanks. Much needed when I already have 5 million in the bank. Don't get me wrong, those challenges are okay for when you're just starting, but after some time, they become pointless.

I actually made a thread some time ago about having more interesting challenges: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...allenges-franchise-and-challenge-mode.558104/

Thirdly: I wish I could start a whole new franchise, without deleting or getting rid of the one I have. I want to start with 0 CC again and see how I deal with that limitation with all the knowledge I gathered from playing 500 hours of franchise mode.

This is a really good idea. Would absolutely love that.

however I would suggest raising the CC cap to 20 or 30 K for some animals
I agree with that entire part, so only quoting this part - I would gladly support such a cap for certain animals. Franchise is the part of the game where you supposed to "struggle" in the beginning. (Not able to get the more expensive animals from the start)

Thirdly: I wish I could start a whole new franchise, without deleting or getting rid of the one I have
Since the animal centre cap is more strict - I think some limitations on that like 1 or 2 more franchises wouldn't hurt as much.
Just to avoid people creating 10 franchises, so they can keep 500 animals in their trade centre combined. That would seriously hurt online franchises performance.
i think it's a great idea - sometimes you just want to start over except not losing your progress from your original franchise.

Don't get me wrong, those challenges are okay for when you're just starting, but after some time, they become pointless.
Even for starters they are pretty bland. During the whole community challenges change (every week to every 2 weeks) some people complained about more community challenges.

I believe the problem lies with the personal challenges - they should improve those challenges. Played a lot of management games since the 90s and the most interesting were the ones with (emergency) situations/disasters. People who played Theme Hospital know exactly what I mean. And TheMovies had yearly awards so you'd know how you compare against rival companies.

I know at this stage very unlikely but I'd like to see a emergency adoption with a species that will need extra care. A very shy individual of a species that normally is very social, so you have to create a new habitat or change the current one, raise it to a specific welfare within 5 years. And a suitable reward for those who are able to handle the situation.

I didn't know about a restriction cap that's interesting could that be because they don't actually have true dedicated servers? Once the game hits around year 3 they very well could just shut it down as its not finically worth it for them.

This is something that I've wondered about quite a bit... What happens to the franchise system once support for the game ends. (whenever that is -- whether 3, 5, or 10 years!). I'm fairly new to online gaming, so I'll ask from those with more experience: What typically happens to franchise mode (equivalents) once we hit that point? I'll admit that part of my reason for playing franchise first is the fear that it might not be around forever, so while I could always come back and play the other modes later, this feels like the last/only/best chance to play in this mode.

This is something that I've wondered about quite a bit... What happens to the franchise system once support for the game ends. (whenever that is -- whether 3, 5, or 10 years!). I'm fairly new to online gaming, so I'll ask from those with more experience: What typically happens to franchise mode (equivalents) once we hit that point? I'll admit that part of my reason for playing franchise first is the fear that it might not be around forever, so while I could always come back and play the other modes later, this feels like the last/only/best chance to play in this mode.

Quite a "scary" (for a game anyways) thought. I wonder if this ended up happening and they discontinued franchise support in a few years, if they would be open to providing a new game mode that was similar to most zoo games I've played- each animal is a set amount every time, and is automatically available and supplied by the game. You still have a market but it's in name only sort of like sandbox. But you still can create a franchise of zoos where all other aspects except animal trading are available just like now.

This is something that I've wondered about quite a bit... What happens to the franchise system once support for the game ends.

Nothing, would probably just switch/replace to a offline mode like the Challenge modes.
It's not the same as other online games where an online connection is needed to actually play the full game.

As a whole I don't think Franchise adds anything to the game, That being said I just got the game and I've played 168 hours in the past two weeks of strictly Franchise mode according to Steam. I love the game and I wish the online portion was what I thought it was going to be, but once you get 100k CC there isn't any reason for me to keep playing. I play on medium diff and I never have money/staff issues, all I do at the start is make an efficient 8 or 6 box habitat and ill have 100k cash in minutes. So if Cash isn't an issue and CC's aren't an issue why keep playing Franchise? Id just as well be better off playing Sandbox mode cause I have Unlimited resources in both modes. I'm sure Franchise mode was probably in the crack of the bottom of the barrel for them since the only thing different is a "Player" market but if they have the feature then why not make something of it?

I'm sure the games goal is to allow players with creative minds to fill the whole make with large wonderous habitats and paths but I don't, I'm more of an efficient player and I find this game has some fundamental gameplay flaws. When starting new zoos I do not care about low profit animals I fill them up with trash and put contraceptives on them and refill the habitat with more trash when the old trash dies. The "Online" aspect of this game needs to be slowed way down for everyone no exceptions on an even playing field and rare breeds need to be rarer especially the genetically mutated ones like Albino's.

[Animal Growth] I think one of the biggest changes to Franchise or the whole game in fact and could be very important is selecting which habitat or making the pill stop the animal from aging (IF NOT BREEDING). It is such a pain in the rear to replace my filler habitats with trash every single time they die. If they are on the pill they need to enter god mode because there is no difference between that and sticking them in storage for eternity. You can also make a whole new zoo for 100 CC and make tons of mini pens and stick all the animals you want to keep in them and leave the zoo, they will never die. Or simply making Storage and Neglected Zoo animals die at a slower rate.

Add Value to animals make it like a trading card game. These are just a few things I could think of off the top of my head I don't usually post on game forums because all it ever does is fall on deaf ears but I would like to keep playing this game but currently in a rut and bored of it already. thanks for reading and good luck with the game!

Database
  • For the love of all that is glory why does it take me 20 clicks for an action to happen on the market......

Marketplace
  • Remove the CC cap
Once you can afford one 10k animal what's next? nothing... because all I can do is just buy another 10k animal because all your doing is investing 20k into a mating pair and you'll more then likely coming out with 50k profit of CC in offspring big whoop
  • Add a bidding/buy now system
  • Add filters
Only Gold/Silver/Bronze/Nothing, Only 0-9999 Appeal

Gameplay
  • [Game speed] Pausing the game is fine as that hinders you but allowing players on an online market to accelerate animal growth gives a huge advantage.
2x and 3x have to be disabled
  • Difficulty needs to be standard for everyone.
Allowing Easy mode just to flood the market with Animals? why?
  • Animal growth stopped (Info at the top of the thread ^) but if not see below
  • Animal growth needs to be set standard at around 2.5 which is in the middle of the current options or set up to 5x.
If you want to make less profit and less management

Animals
  • CC Per Release (You can make Pig, Bird and Lizard farms and get Hundreds of almost instant CC)
Releasing CC needs to be about 25% of the value of the animal, releasing the animal to the wild should be the last resort. (ex. Lions buy and sell for around 1k each, they also release for around 800-1k each)
  • Rare animals need to be rare and desirable
Reduce offspring Genetic gains, Make 3 new tiers of Genetics i.e 90%/95%/100% you can make the portriats holographic or add Normal>Bronze>Silver>Gold>Emerald>Ruby>Diamond
  • 3 New Animal Genetics
Size Gene <------>
Longevity Gene <------>
Fertility Gene <------>
Immunity Gene <----->

*PS Community rewards are hot garbage
  • Add a leaderboard.
I really liked almost all of the ideas. Removing the CC cap I think is the most best & most important recommendation - anyone who has studied economics would know that. It would absolutely incentivize players to work towards & breed "big ticket" animals, which is one of the main reasons to play franchise IMO. I only disagree with you on the game speed. IMO players should be allowed to play how they want to, not how someone else thinks they should play. If someone wants to create breeder zoos and play at 3x, let them. In the end, we all benefit because the greater amount of animals on the market (which is oftentimes quite barren). I don't care if someone has more or made more CC than me by playing on 3x speed, I only care that I'm able to buy good animals for my next habitat/zoo. I liked your idea about adding to the genetics system, which is my favorite aspect of the game. The holographic idea is very cool.

Currently the franchise economy suffers from the endless credit resource and the trade center's unchecked inflation of virtual credits. This is the same economy problem that all MMO games have. Changing the upper CC limit probably won't help. Make the limit 100k and someone will list a Warthog for 100k because we all know everyone has unlimited CC. The listing "value" is irrelevant.

What if the franchise economy was corrected in an entirely new way? Instead of trading credits (which can be gamed) why not trade the Animals directly? For example:
I offer up 13 Warthogs. You offer 5 Flamingos. I'm wiling to trade because I'm looking for Flamingos. But, I'm only willing to give 9 of my Warthogs for those 5 Flamingos.
A bartering workflow of offer, counter-offer, acceptance could be implemented in a way to provide more "management" strategies, for those of us who are looking for more challenges.

And a strong YES to all of these items that have been mentioned above:
  • I wish I could start a whole new franchise, without deleting or getting rid of the one I have
  • Any type of speed acceleration is great in an Offline environment, but with an online Economy you just can't have it.
  • Add a leaderboard. (and make it rolling with top scores over the past 6 weeks, so that it's not just 1 person who makes a bazillion animals and then camps out forever in the leader position)

Database

Marketplace
  • Remove the CC cap
I never have to click more than once, you just need to find the right spot..

And yes, please remove the cc cap, some animals are worth much more, you can already make cc way to easily and i want to spend my 5.1miljon cc, but i gain way faster then i can spend😂

I dunno. I kinda like the relative calm of the game. Not everything has to be about the struggle to make big bucks(however that's defined). I rather hate super competitive games/games oriented mainly towards getting rich (by whatever definition of the term) and I especially dislike games where you have to compete with other online players in order to 'win' something. It seems if you aren't much interested in building interesting habitats for the animals, the animals themselves, nor building interesting zoos (themed, whatever) then maybe the way this game is designed isn't aimed at you?

It's a mild management game with pretty extensive building depth, and pretty detailed animal behaviors/imagry options, which isn't very common in the game world since zoo based games aren't hugely popular.

And, to be frank, sure there are folks who make millions of cc's because all they do is breed and sell animals but removing the CC cap makes it much harder for new players/players who don't focus on raking in the cc's to buy interesting animals.

Not everything has to be about making things hard.

Top Bottom