No Limits 2 style Custom Supports

What i love about building coasters is designing my one realistic supports to go with the coaster. What i feel most coaster games lack is that freedom to make supports that help make recreations look perfect or supports that can create arches over paths with the ride overhead. No limits have a perfect way of creating supports and something similar would be Great!

Unfortunately I can say with quite a lot of certainty that this can't/won't be implemented. The reason NoLimits 2's support system works is because it's software and you have access to flat grid views of each side of your coaster/park, so can place nodes and such precisely. Planet Coaster won't let you do that since the only view you'll have is 3D (the equivelant to 'Perspective' in the NL2 editor).

There could be an approximation of it though. The No Limits 2 support system is very easy and intuitive to use and gives gorgeous results. P.C. could have something similar with the prefab supports that you can pull apart and change and add beams and flanges and other bits to. It doesn't have to be as powerful as the NL2 system. I'm sure we won't be going for the to the centimetre precision and accuracy in this game that we do in NL2 but I'm sure even with a free-lock perspective view in-game, we could achieve beautiful results.

Last edited:
Yeah, I +1 this idea. When I play RCT3 I can't stand to build a coaster that has an entire section not held up by supports because I wanted to build it over something. Usually I'll just go around whatever it is, but I'd really like to see a system in Planet Coaster where we can attach supports anywhere - perhaps even in the parts of flat rides that guests don't walk on.
Anything but floating coasters. I hate that.

There could be an approximation of it though. The No Limits 2 support system is very easy and intuitive to use and gives gorgeous results. P.C. could have something similar with the prefab supports that you can pull apart and change and add beams and flanges and other bits to. It doesn't have to be as powerful as the NL2 system. I'm sure we won't be going for the to the centimetre precision and accuracy in this game that we do in NL2 but I'm sure even with a free-lock perspective view in-game, we could achieve beautiful results.

That's still a very complex system considering the target market for the game. A large majority won't even care about the details in coasters (such as a certain track type matching a certain train type), so supports won't need to be an in-depth feature. I agree, it'd be cool to have better control over supports (although by the looks of it they've done a decent job at the automatic ones anyway), I just tend to think more realistically about the likelyhood of things.

Last edited:
That's still a very complex system considering the target market for the game. A large majority won't even care about the details in coasters (such as a certain track type matching a certain train type), so supports won't need to be an in-depth feature. I agree, it'd be cool to have better control over supports (although by the looks of it they've done a decent job at the automatic ones anyway), I just tend to think more realistically about the likelyhood of things.

That's exactly the reason that I suggested prefabs which you could pull apart and customise. That way, people who want to just build coasters can, but then the people who want to go deeper into it and want to really go for detail and accuracy can select the support and adjust it, 1 at a time. That way, everyone's happy.

The target market for this game is the same as RCT3's. No one back then expected it to become a park-building tool for creative minds who wanted to put so much detail and realism into it. Now in light of that, I think Frontier is expecting a similar thing to happen. So as they always seem to go above and beyond expectations, (the in-game supports are already beyond amazing), I wouldn't be surprised if they sneak a feature in similar to what I'm suggesting.

That's exactly the reason that I suggested prefabs which you could pull apart and customise. That way, people who want to just build coasters can, but then the people who want to go deeper into it and want to really go for detail and accuracy can select the support and adjust it, 1 at a time. That way, everyone's happy.

The target market for this game is the same as RCT3's. No one back then expected it to become a park-building tool for creative minds who wanted to put so much detail and realism into it. Now in light of that, I think Frontier is expecting a similar thing to happen. So as they always seem to go above and beyond expectations, (the in-game supports are already beyond amazing), I wouldn't be surprised if they sneak a feature in similar to what I'm suggesting.

That's what I was talking about. Putting that into the game would be very complicated for a feature that will be used so infrequently. Wouldn't you rather they put time into coaster styles, themes and other highly requested things instead?

I can't even think how you would edit supports based on what I said about NL2's view system. All you can really do in perspective mode is drag footers around and maybe place some flanges. Wouldn't allow for much customisation.

The only thing I do hope for is that each coaster style has the right kind of supports. Box supports on a B&M would be pretty terrible.

Last edited:
I would quite like the ability to change the type of support. So instead of a column straight down you could have an A-Frame instead. So all you would have to do is click on the support in the coaster editor and select from a list of support types.

We need to be able to customise exactly where supports attach so that they can be attached to things like parts of modular buildings. That wouldn't be too hard, right? It would just require a toggle-able manipulator on individual supports which you can drag around and attach to valid surfaces. Of course, they'd have to make sure it can't just be left to float in midair.

I would quite like the ability to change the type of support. So instead of a column straight down you could have an A-Frame instead. So all you would have to do is click on the support in the coaster editor and select from a list of support types.

That seems reasonable; if they could do that I'd be happy.
(Although, like I said, I'll probably be happy anyway :p)

Last edited:
I feel that would be the most user friendly yet realistic way to do it. NL2 system is just too complex to implement and moving supports around may prove difficult to a non-coaster nerd. This is a game after all and user friendly is something they need which is why the way I suggested is really the only way I could see it working.

Top Bottom