No Man's Sky changed my perspective.

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date

Deleted member 110222

D
I've said before that I would love to explore the interior of my ship in Elite.

I no longer think like this.

Now, what does No Man's Sky have to do with this? Simple.

That game has pretty much aced "space legs". I mean it is amazing how well done exploring a planet on foot is. Brilliant job.

However...

All I could think about whilst finding animals and building bases was, I wished I were in my ship, flying.

I think that says a lot. Clearly, I didn't realise how much I love Elite's act of piloting until I experienced what I thought I wanted added.

I now am no longer worried about space legs in Elite. It is apparent that I play the game to be a pilot. And I'm happy with that.

That game has pretty much aced "space legs". I mean it is amazing how well done exploring a planet on foot is. Brilliant job.

However...

All I could think about whilst finding animals and building bases was, I wished I were in my ship, flying.

I think that says a lot. Clearly, I didn't realise how much I love Elite's act of piloting until I experienced what I thought I wanted added.

I now am no longer worried about space legs in Elite. It is apparent that I play the game to be a pilot. And I'm happy with that.

Agreed. While I would like space legs in the game, I don't want it to become the main focus of the game like it is in NMS.

However...

Next week: I am bored with flying, can't we have some legs ? :rolleyes:

What NMS Next showed was that it is entirely possible and feasible to get all the things the E:D community wants in a procedurally generated galaxy:

- intergalactic market
- NPC interaction
- freighters/squadrons
- atmospheric landings
- crafting/mats
- engineering/upgrades
- swimming/diving
- first and third person view
- and more...

Admittetly, it did take Hello Games two years from launch but when was E:D released again? Frankly, it's embassaring for FDev. E:D has of course hugely better flight physics, controls, and fighting, but NMS has so much more content.

I took advantage of the NMS sale for the same reason. I think I like the ability to walk, but it clearly taught me how much I appreciated the ship models and flight characteristics in Elite!

I Pre-Ordered for Xbox from Amazon...release date is 27th, I'am looking forward to trying it out. How are the new multi-player features ?

Edit. And I'm seeing reports of 'Save Game' corruptions forcing people to start over anyone getting this ?

Often curious about the desire for space legs. I can walk for real anytime I like, often do in fact, and find it a natural, zesty enterprise. But I can only fly a spaceship in a game, hence I'm fond of ED.

I suppose you might argue that I can't walk in spaceships or over alien landscapes in real life. But that feels like an argument of perspective. What would I gain from seeing those places pretending to walk that I could not from my ship, SRV or submersible?

I am for FD focusing on atmospheric landings first and let's worry about perambulation a little further down the track. If i were FD I would want to be pretty sure that the development cost was worth it to deliver compelling, revenue generating gameplay.

Aps.

Watched a review about nms updates, and there was the suggestion that a lot of players really appreciated getting the update which added ground vehicles, because walking everywhere was quite tedious.

Found that interesting.

I'd rather wish for atmospherics like gas giant and barren atmospheric worlds.. Space legs can wait.

Agreed. Although I would also like to see more life in stations and planetary outposts: engineers working round the pads or in EMUs working outside the station, figures behind the control tower windows, NPC SRVs tootling around etc etc....

Lots of possibilities.

sollisb

Banned
What NMS Next showed was that it is entirely possible and feasible to get all the things the E:D community wants in a procedurally generated galaxy:

- intergalactic market
- NPC interaction
- freighters/squadrons
- atmospheric landings
- crafting/mats
- engineering/upgrades
- swimming/diving
- first and third person view
- and more...

Admittetly, it did take Hello Games two years from launch but when was E:D released again? Frankly, it's embassaring for FDev. E:D has of course hugely better flight physics, controls, and fighting, but NMS has so much more content.

Let's not also forget the disparity in Dev Team sizes.. FDev 100+... And what have they produced? Nothing but bugs. Every major part of Elite is bugged.

However...

Thank you.

I was on the brink of buying nms on the Xbox but you just confirmed the very thing I was afraid of.
ED is about ships in space, the very reason I like it so much.
If base building or walking around doing stuff would be my biggest hope for ED then I might as well play Minecraft.

However...

i personally am less interested in spacelegs than i am in EVA around my ship, both for repairing internal and external parts (though this would mean introduction of a far more complex damage model) - so still directly tied to flying my shop

as well as the ability to salvage from small wrecks, bases and asteroids etc in space. (i am thinking hellion type stuff)

actual 1st person on planets.... as i have said before the issue there is there is a hell of a high bar set in FPS mechanics that i fear ED could never match so for me it is a lower priority.

just my 2p however.....

razzing round in an SRV would be fun on more planet types however again, there needs to be reasons for it imo, not just "fun" (i guess i am just like a purpose in my games)

Top Bottom