"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

View attachment 239057

It seems as though the new CM initiative to be more active on the forums only counts for Odyssey. If we want some sort of answer maybe we should ask in there.

I'm a little confused though as to why they'd reply to a request for binoculars, but continue to ignore an 80 page thread that's almost a year old, asking about current-gen console plans for Odyssey. Bit strange..

I know they've given the "no plans" statement recently for Ship Interiors, but at least they qualified that with some reasoning and a short explanation. Here, we're left with a very vague statement which is now out-dated and has resulted in a lot of speculation as evidenced here in this thread. It's time we had some clarification.

@boppa_

Address the directly with @s to make sure it shows up in their alerts.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
The wording in the trading update is curious.

when Odyssey comes to PlayStation and Xbox consoles.

A couple of times, it doesn't mention Xbox One or PS4 at all. For balance it doesn't mention XS or PS5 either (in terms of Elite, it mentions all with respect to JWE2).

its deffo coming to last gen consoles as its a dlc for a game that originated on them and Arf (almost) let the cat out the bag saying it was a legal requirement but then backtracked (Lave Radio)

will there be an enhanced PS5 version? I still think so as there's no reason not too maybe the real question now should be will Sony allow that dlc on their platform

its deffo coming to last gen consoles as its a dlc for a game that originated on them and Arf (almost) let the cat out the bag saying it was a legal requirement but then backtracked (Lave Radio)

will there be an enhanced PS5 version? I still think so as there's no reason not too maybe the real question now should be will Sony allow that dlc on their platform

Curious as to why you think Sony would not let Frontier sell an enhanced version of Elite Dangerous or Odyssey for the PS5? (assuming they had plans to develop one ;-))

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

It's not a legal requirement to release DLC. They could just abandon it and not release on any console if they couldn't get it performing to an acceptable standard.

Sony and MS cannot force companies to release DLC on the consoles or indeed any software on their platforms.

I do agree that we wouldn't get PS5 or XS Odyssey only DLC. They would probably have to release on the old consoles first as I am sure there is some legal mumbo jumbo there.

The big question is will the new consoles get further optimisation or enhancements?

To be honest there is some shocking stuff on the PlayStation store. Elite can be very unstable on PS5 in the right (or wrong circumstances). It's still available. Cyberpunk was removed because of the massive backlash.

It remains to be seen how many copies on PlayStation Odyssey can actually shift considering most but the die hard fans have long since abandoned the game and moved on.

Is Odyssey enough to bring people back? Not sure. In its current difficult state on PC I would say no. If FDev can turn it around and get it running and looking great on console? Again at the moment I am pretty pessimistic about it. I think the base PS4 and Xbox are really going to struggle.

If we are stuck in BC mode at 1080p on PS5 as I've said before I probably won't buy it.

When I can play just today games like Jedi Fallen Order in 4K and hopefully next week (if it arrives) the ridiculously good looking Ratchet & Clank also 4K. Elite just looks more and more dated on my PS5 as time goes on.

I was insinuating the dlc would be in such a state that Sony does a CP2077
I think the review process to release a game on Sonys side is pretty standardized and covers mostly that the game doesn't cause system instability etc. Otherwise something like CP and other bug ridden games wouldn't have ever released. Sony isn't doing the QA job for the studios.

I think the review process to release a game on Sonys side is pretty standardized and covers mostly that the game doesn't cause system instability etc. Otherwise something like CP and other bug ridden games wouldn't have ever released. Sony isn't doing the QA job for the studios.
probably was before CP, I can see them paying closer attention to releases now

I watched the PC Gamer E3 stream on twitch last night as Frontier trailed that they would be announcing some new stuff.
I didn't expect to see anything playstation related for Elite (as it was a PC centrc stream).

It was pre-canned video rather than a live Q&A and they were talking about Lemnis Gate, JWE2 & WH40K.
Very light on any sort of details which was fair enough given the purpose of these video clips.
My biggest concern was they were still referring to 'Current Gen and Next Gen' when talking about the potential for releasing on consoles

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
There is definitely a market for a PS5 version. FDev could kickstart the game again and make a fanfare over next gen enhanced Elite. They could..

Ratchet and Clank PS5 only top of the UK physical sales charts.

Chivalry 2 at number 9 was interesting as it shifted more disk units on PS5 than PS4. This is a growing trend with cross gen titles now

I watched the PC Gamer E3 stream on twitch last night as Frontier trailed that they would be announcing some new stuff.
I didn't expect to see anything playstation related for Elite (as it was a PC centrc stream).

It was pre-canned video rather than a live Q&A and they were talking about Lemnis Gate, JWE2 & WH40K.
Very light on any sort of details which was fair enough given the purpose of these video clips.
My biggest concern was they were still referring to 'Current Gen and Next Gen' when talking about the potential for releasing on consoles

By the time Odyssey releases on console, "Next Gen" will be over a year old 😁

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
And yet the financial statement mentions consoles and new platforms in the same breath. I wonder if the shareholders appreciate how misleading this is...
It does? I must have missed that it was strange as Elite quoted PlayStation and Xbox whereas JWE specifically mentioned PS4 and PS5. Why wouldn't FDev announce already if PS5 was getting an enhanced Elite Dangerous?

Top Bottom