"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Kicked into the long grass

They're going to concentrate on the PC build,I think that's the best thing for the game right now,I'd rather see it working on PC before it gets ported to consoles.

My translation:

• Odyssey delayed for console until well into 2022
  • OG XBox and PS4 dropped

The reason they're not announcing this detail yet is they don't know whether they're going to even bother. Maybe they'll just drop console completely.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted... 🧛‍♂️

Word from DB himself too! Ah well Sir David, we'll always have Beagle Point...

ED_DB.jpg

So yeah doesnt sound good for consoles. Of course they could plop out Odyssey as an actual separate-to-download beta for anyone with an existing Elite account.

Then we'd be in the same state as PC players; they could get feedback on console performance (while dodging Sony certification); and let people try it out.

The problem being they couldnt really charge for it, and many potential sales would think "stuff this for a game of marbles" if things were really bad. Oh and it would take more than minimal effort on their part.

Last edited:
Word from DB himself too! Ah well Sir David, well always have Beagle Point...

View attachment 249664

So yeah doesnt sound good for consoles. Of course they could plop out Odyssey as an actual separate-to-download beta for anyone with an existing Elite account.

Then we'd be in the same state as PC players; they could get feedback on console performance (while dodging Sony certification); and let people try it out.

The problem being they couldnt really charge for it, and many potential sales would think " this for a game of marbles" if things were really bad. Oh and it would take more than minimal effort on their part.
That makes too much sense to be considered as a reality.

60994827.jpg

If only there were some new-gen consoles with more processing power that could run this … hey, we should start a thread about that …

Is the new Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PS4, or just PS5? I know I could google this, but it's as much as a point of conversation as it is a question.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Ratchet and Clank was the biggest selling game in the US in June. A PlayStation 5 only title. Clearly noone can get hold of these consoles.

Why would FDev be interested in native PS5 support for Odyssey? Makes zero sense to revitalise the game on console. Right? 😉

My biggest issue with the delaying the consoles release (which makes perfect sense) is by the time it comes out, there will be nothing new to see as the main 7 or 8 PC content creators will have covered, recovered and covered again in the Nth degree of detail anything Odyssey has to offer. So by the time we jump in game on console release day it will feel like its already old as the new feeling of discovery and wonder will have long since gone.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Interesting, Odyssey on PC is getting AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) support. This should technically be available on the new consoles. PS5 version coming? ;)

Top Bottom