"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

Update on PS5 release day 12-Nov-2020: Elite runs on the PS5 in backwards compatibility mode, 1080p 60FPS. Of the new consoles, Elite will only support 4K on the XBox Series X, according to Frontier.

This is because there is no native version, only backwards compatibility. Frontier had recently been quoted as saying they "have no plans" for the PS5 and XBox Series X. Odyssey is targeting PS4 and Xbox One.

"No 4K on PS5" Source:
Source: https://youtu.be/AUwEx-ZfnxE?t=923

Update 25th November: In the AMA thread, Frontier re-stated that they have no plans to introduce a native or enhanced version on the new PS5 and Xbox Series X consoles.

They also stated they have no plans to introduce in-game 4K for the PS5. This makes Playstation the only platform where Elite cannot be played in 4K. (Xbox supports it in Quality mode on the XBox SX, whereas PC has configurable Display settings up to 4K).

1606320363648.png

The initial post continues after this sentence.

20200819_114732.jpg

Very disappointing. On the plus side, there's no need to rename this sub forum any more.

Last edited:
FWIW, I would hope that PS5 will give you both the Pro's Quality Mode graphics AND Performance Mode framerate at the same time. Don't underestimate how much 60+ fps changes the game for the better. You should also see improvements in things like system and galaxy map generation times, texture and LOD load times, etc.

FWIW, I would hope that PS5 will give you both the Pro's Quality Mode graphics AND Performance Mode framerate at the same time. Don't underestimate how much 60+ fps changes the game for the better. You should also see improvements in things like system and galaxy map generation times, texture and LOD load times, etc.

... If the game is even backwards compatible...

I understand it involves some developer commitment in order for that to happen, and they've just demonstrated that they have almost zero commitment to console players.

Last edited:
... If the game is even backwards compatible, I understands it involves some developer commitment in order for that to happen, and they've just demonstrated that they have almost zero commitment to console players.

You are reading into things

The consoles are not even out yet. Let alone develop a game that needs all the new graphics powers that the new consoles offer. Likely you can just play ED on the new consoles. That should not be much work for Sony/MS

No I am not because these machines all have the same architecture so there is no incompatibility here or need of porting. The console builders decide on backwards compatibility. Not the game studios.

Respectfully, you are wrong:
We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

Source: Hideaki Nishino, Senior Vice President, Platform Planning & Management / Official Playstation blog post.

Source: Hideaki Nishino, Senior Vice President, Platform Planning & Management / Official Playstation blog post.
I believe this need for developers to tweak certain games will only apply to games that are ridiculously optimized to the hardware, like Uncharted. ED, which already is "generic" in that it runs on PC, XBox, and PS4, will probably work on PS5 just fine. Yes, I'm speculating, but I'm speculating as a retired software developer, so I've got at least a little knowledge & experience to back up my speculation :p

I believe this need for developers to tweak certain games will only apply to games that are ridiculously optimized to the hardware, like Uncharted. ED, which already is "generic" in that it runs on PC, XBox, and PS4, will probably work on PS5 just fine. Yes, I'm speculating, but I'm speculating as a retired software developer, so I've got at least a little knowledge & experience to back up my speculation :p
No its required for all game engines that are a buggy laggy not coded correctly mess... And the Poor port of the cobra engine makes it aply to all games that run the cobra engine build..
Direct hardware SSD use on all consoles and faster memory read and write issues to memory of an engine can cause engine crashes with AMDs CPU and GPU emulation modes there building in to the Chip set at the core level...
As AMD is building into the Chipsets the correct modes to emulate the OLD APUs Sony then has to Limit the rest of the hardware using firmware to avoid the bad game engines crashing...

All PS4 games that go thought QA testing at SIE from june have this PS5 testing FORCED on them by SIE. to ensure the game engines are PS5 complaint not just PS4... Games that fail PS5 compliance Do not release on PS4 and are delayed untill PS5 run better...

Last edited:
I am not speculating either way, but there are 2 facts that concern me, as a console player:

a) backwards compatibility is by no means a given
b) there is no native PS5 version planned currently

... and one opinion:

* Frontier's ongoing commitment to console players is limited/questionable.
While I'm one of the few people who believe ED will work on PS5 as a backward compatible title, I long ago recognized that Frontier has no commitment to consoles after the initial cash grab, hence why I moved to PC*.

* for this game, as I still use my PS4 for lots of other games

I'm confused. If its not currently planned for PS5 or Xbox series X, then doesn't that that rule out backwards compatibility?

Surely the only difference between ED on Xbox One and ED on Xbox Series X* would be performance/graphics capability but FDev have shown that they can work around that because the Xbox One X apparently has performance settings that can be adjusted to take advantage of the improved power (over the standard Xbox One) so why not do the same with Xbox Series X**? Is the jump in power so great that this isn't as easy as I'm making out?

* There isn't a thread about this on the Xbox forum (yet) which is why I've crossed no man's land to come here.
** The naming convention used by Microsoft is stupid and is annoying me already.

Also notice frontier don't confirm the series S
I'm confused. If its not currently planned for PS5 or Xbox series X, then doesn't that that rule out backwards compatibility?

Surely the only difference between ED on Xbox One and ED on Xbox Series X* would be performance/graphics capability but FDev have shown that they can work around that because the Xbox One X apparently has performance settings that can be adjusted to take advantage of the improved power (over the standard Xbox One) so why not do the same with Xbox Series X**? Is the jump in power so great that this isn't as easy as I'm making out?

* There isn't a thread about this on the Xbox forum (yet) which is why I've crossed no man's land to come here.
** The naming convention used by Microsoft is stupid and is annoying me already.
BC will need patches if the cobra engine Crashes realy badly on the BRAND new never used before Hardware...
just like Rockstar games RDR2 did not run on Brand new PC hardware and failed to run on many systems at launch...
If Fdev don't fix there code the game will not run on the new hardware...
depending on IF and how bad the cobra engine is and how many QA failures it has on BRAND NEW hardware Fdev may not pay for new hardware fixes...
This is not a built from zero game its altering the exsisting cobras engine to work on new hardware...

Last edited:
Top Bottom