"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

I’m particularly worried about this as well. If I upgrade to a PS5, have I got to keep my PS4 to continue playing ELITE?

It doesn’t help, that 2 months on from the initial FC update, Quality mode is still broken on the PS4 Pro. I’m starting to wonder if issues like these, will be sidestepped more often in the future....

Right now Frontier has pretty good base of players for both consoles. I don't see them throwing that possible revenue away. I imagine that they haven't developed for the PS5 yet so as to not lock out their PS4 base. Also, the PS5 console base will be limited at first, most likely taking months to restock after the initial sales, all due to Covid. When the PS5 console numbers are up, I imagine that we see Frontier move forward with the PS5.

Right now Frontier has pretty good base of players for both consoles. I don't see them throwing that possible revenue away. I imagine that they haven't developed for the PS5 yet so as to not lock out their PS4 base. Also, the PS5 console base will be limited at first, most likely taking months to restock after the initial sales, all due to Covid. When the PS5 console numbers are up, I imagine that we see Frontier move forward with the PS5.
That would be a huge mistake. Getting the game running on ps5 before any other space game, showing off tech would be great publicity for the title.

Also it just isn't factual that they aren't looking to capitalize on next gen, planet coaster console release was pushed back so it could simultaneously release on the ps5 at launch.

It appears they just dropped the ball for whatever reason.

Not surprising tbh.

I think, based on what I know of it so far, once Odyssey is out and bombs for being far too little & far too late, that will be it for E: D. 🤷‍♀️

Such a shame. :(
Mayhaps Odyssey will be the swansong for the current gen and another itteration of the Elite Series will raise it's head with lessons learned from ED, I'm sure if they make enough Elite variants there's a chance of getting it right, might have to dig ol' DB up out of his grave to tell him the good news though.

I’ve been with ED from the start, as an Apple Mac owner we were soon left behind on updates and then dropped. Hey ho, I purchased it again on the PS4 to start again, I really hope this is not Dejavu all over again.

I am a lifetime Apple Mac user (Creative Director) and gave up expensive gaming PCs and switched to PS only gaming many years ago and have been an Elite Dangerous PS4 player since launch. However... last night with my new 2020 i5 MacBook Pro 13" I had Elite dangerous running in 1080p at 40fps (via Bootcamp and Windows 10) running from an external SSD drive!. And that is without a dedicated graphics card - just Intel Iris Plus Graphics.

I felt like a sneaky infiltrator into the world of the PC master race!

If your current Mac is up to it I highly recommend trying it. (or if it isn't you can always add an eGPU which I am considering)

Oooh look, it's another one of those PC master race types complaining that other people play 'their' game.

8a32fd9781603207d9349e45e0661d4f.jpg

I wonder how fantastic the game would have been if everyone played it on an equal footing without devs having to spend time accounting for cheats, bots and trainers. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Ugh the rot is spreading! :eek: Can mods ban these PC-interlopers from our forums: that butt-leather lover who keeps popping in too plz :unsure:

(how long before we all transition...)

Well seeing as I am on a Mac and not PC I see myself more as a Mac God!

Don’t worry I won’t be stopping playing on PS4 anytime soon, especially as I bought a PS4 Pro and T.Flight 4 especially for ED prior to launch.

Last edited:
but still confusion on whether we'll actually be able to play Elite on the PS5.
Probably Fdev just opting out of support if/when Sony drops PS4 compatibility.

We already know all PS4 games submitted for certification must be PS5 compatibile, but are not a PS5 game per se.

From the Eurogamer article:
... developers must check to state their game has been tested for compatibility with PS5 hardware. This option was added at the end of April in a new version of Sony's PS4 software developer kit.

Further documentation sheds light on what "compatibility" means. A game will be deemed compatible with PlayStation 5 only if its submission code runs without issues on Sony's next-gen machine, and provides the same features on PS5 as it does on PS4.

According to @Obsidian Ant Frontier have confirmed to him directly that Elite will only be on PS5 via backwards compatibility "if the console supports it". So confirmation that no native version is being planned, but still confusion on whether we'll actually be able to play Elite on the PS5.

So in other words, Frontier intend to spend zero effort in ensuring that it will run on the PS5. If it does - great - if not - tough. 🤷‍♀️

The next (very soon to to be current) gen of consoles - and Frontier won't ensure it works.

And people are still actually arguing that E: D hasn't been EOL'd or de-prioritised by Frontier. Beggars belief really.

Top Bottom