"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

It still baffles me (for a games company) that they are actually carrying on developing a product for outdated technology knowing that it is outdated technology.

Most (if not all) other studios in the same position have already said they will release a next-gen patch. Some, like Rockstar, are even going back and doing it for their older titles like GTA V.

Frontier: "We have no plans".

Like I said, it's baffling. Especially if they want the game to survive another 2 years, by which time 90%+ of PS4/XB1 players will have switched. :unsure:

Frontier always baffle. I've been following them since the release of Elite Dangerous and they never fail to surprise me 🙄.

Don't hold out for next gen ports because Fdev have proven they're lazy. They don't want to have to work harder on more platforms for patching!

I’m getting intermittent stutters and the occasional crash,in between the stuttering the FPS seems buttery smooth so hopefully an update is incoming and will fix the issue.
I’m just over the moon that I don’t have to hit my console for the disc to read like I have for the past 6 months.
I notice in the store that some titles have updated and placed their game in the PS5 section,so I’d imagine this is what will happen when Odyessey is released.

It still baffles me (for a games company) that they are actually carrying on developing a product for outdated technology knowing that it is outdated technology.

Most (if not all) other studios in the same position have already said they will release a next-gen patch. Some, like Rockstar, are even going back and doing it for their older titles like GTA V.

Frontier: "We have no plans".

Like I said, it's baffling. Especially if they want the game to survive another 2 years, by which time 90%+ of PS4/XB1 players will have switched. :unsure:
It still baffles me that people dissect each public pronouncement to try and detect issues where none exist. Pretty sure that if the interviewer had followed up then they would have clarified "no plans to announce right now".

And yet we still have months long doom threads that fizzle out to nothing like this one, based on a single sentence...

It still baffles me that people dissect each public pronouncement to try and detect issues where none exist. Pretty sure that if the interviewer had followed up then they would have clarified "no plans to announce right now".

Assumption. 🤷‍♀️

I've learned through long experience to never assume anything where FD are concerned, and only to take their statements at literal face value.

And yet we still have months long doom threads that fizzle out to nothing like this one, based on a single sentence...

Which FD have had ample opportunity to expand upon or correct since, either in this thread or elsewhere.

They haven't.

The entire thread is a litany of assumptions and guesswork.

Maybe, but based off a very specific literal statement that Frontier made.

"We have no plans."

Read whatever you want into it (lots of people have, in this thread and elsewhere) but for me, I'll avoid guesswork & take it at face value, thanks.

If you had any first hand experience in managing the expectations of customers versus your actual internal plans, then you would already know why they have stayed well clear.

That's a good point - however, what I was pointing out is that almost all other games companies have given broad strokes answers to the question of next-gen, including either announcing patches at some future (even unspecified) time, or in some cases even releasing them already.

Frontier are currently the exception to this - and that is worrying, if you care about the future of Elite. 🤷‍♀️

Understand: I have little to NO faith in Frontier, so am not interested in white knighting. I'm interested only in actions and cold hard facts. Not assumptions, or wishful thinking.

Last edited:
That's a good point - however, what I was pointing out is that almost all other games companies have given broad strokes answers to the question of next-gen
The title of this thread specifically includes the broad stoke answer to the question of next-gen - you simply didn't like the answer provided. However, you cant specifically level criticism at them for not giving an answer though, can you?

What is FD doing different to the vast majority of games?
All the games I’ve tried so far are just running in backwards compatibility mode,with no apparent boost in graphical improvement past a boost in frame rate.
As the months move on I’m sure we’ll see more titles updating to use the PS5’s capabilities,including ED.

The title of this thread specifically includes the broad stoke answer to the question of next-gen - you simply didn't like the answer provided. However, you cant specifically level criticism at them for not giving an answer though, can you?

Nope - but I can level criticism at those who take that statement and turn it into something they DO like, because it suits them.

FD are not planning anything for PS5 and E: D. Period. Until told otherwise.

Chicken Little always expects the sky to fall in I guess ;)

I don't understand the reference. 🤷‍♀️

The sky isn't falling as far as I know. But even if it isn't, it still doesn't change FD's (lack of) plans for E: D on PS5.

No amount of wishful thinking or assumption on your part will change that.

I don't understand the reference. 🤷‍♀️

The sky isn't falling as far as I know. But even if it isn't, it still doesn't change FD's (lack of) plans for E: D on PS5.

No amount of wishful thinking or assumption on your part will change that.
Why wouldn’t they update ED?
All we’re really asking for is 4K and maybe better quality textures isn’t it?
Seems a bit of a no brainier to me.

Why wouldn’t they update ED?
All we’re really asking for is 4K and maybe better quality textures isn’t it?
Seems a bit of a no brainier to me.

Money, for one. Development isn't free (or cheap). I have three words for you: Elephant. Butt. Leather.

They've said they'll do "plot stuff" involving Galnet and CGs until the end of 2022. So another two years. They haven't said anything beyond that, but feel free to assume. :rolleyes:

PS5 is expected to last at least 5-6 years before being replaced by PS6, going on the last few console release cycles, according to industry analysts.

fdev have spent all year adding console ports to JWE, PC (PC even has next gen!). The idea that they somehow are going to forget about adding next gen to ED is ..

It's not next-gen any more, it's current-gen, and as far as we've been told Frontier have no plans to support it. Should we expect them to make an update for textures, effects and resolution on current-gen? Of course. But then, how long has Quality mode been broken on PS4 Pro for?

Top Bottom