"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Agreed ... my fear is they are quietly sunsetting either the PlayStation version or maybe console support in general ... with the “delay” to the console versions of Odyssey simply a way of postponing having to deliver the bad news ...

To be clear, that is just wild paranoia on my part - there is no evidence for this - but the lack of fixes for the existing PS4 version and the “no plans” to support the now current-gen consoles just does not leave me feeling hopeful.
Not sure I agree with this thought. I think graphically they would probably be more ambitious. Looking at what we've seen the graphics are definitely being held back by lower PC specification requirements and the base consoles. Nothing they have showed so far suggests it can't run on console.

My bigger worry is the PS5 will just be left in BC mode for the foreseeable and it's not in a great place imo.

Still if they are planning on ditching consoles they should just come out with it. Hopefully not the case.

Maybe the focus on Odyssey being compatible with the lowest common denominator (base PS4) is because they want the option to port Odyssey FPS to similar, less powerful, console platforms, such as the Switch.

Maybe the focus on Odyssey being compatible with the lowest common denominator (base PS4) is because they want the option to port Odyssey FPS to similar, less powerful, console platforms, such as the Switch.

That will never going to happen. Not unless Nintendo brings out a Switch as powerful as a PS4
Currently PS4 has twice the memory, at least 5 times more gfx power and a real x86 cpu compared with the puny arm cpu used by the Switch.

That will never going to happen. Not unless Nintendo brings out a Switch as powerful as a PS4
Currently PS4 has twice the memory, at least 5 times more gfx power and a real x86 cpu compared with the puny arm cpu used by the Switch.

In another thread the OP suggest that should just port Odyssey by itself without the rest of the game, I'm not sure he understands how games work.

After seeing No Man's Sky space legs, what FD "achieved" with their space legs is
Interesting, any source for that rumour?
If memory serves it was a leak from a source that has been reliable in the past,so take that as you will.
Now the PSVR2 has officially been announced I’d like to reinstate my theory that FD are planning a PS5 Elite VR relaunch 👍

I would assume they're false considering ps4 pro could've handled ED VR but because base ps4 couldn't they didn't do it at all. I would imagine if the base switch can't ED, then the switch 'pro' (for lack of proper branding) probably won't get any love. Just following the FDev logic here. Also this would require effort on FDevs part and we know how they feel about that

Lost one OLED to a combination of Elite / Destiny 2 HUDs ... well, I say “lost” ... it cost so much I’m still using it but every time there’s a red/orange/yellow tinted background and all those burn-in lines show up I feel slightly sick inside ..... now playing with my PS5 hooked up to a standard LCD screen instead ...
Gotta admit since I got my new LG CX I haven’t touched Elite after a saw a report from a Cmdr with a butchered OLED because of the massive, and massively bright, HUD elements like radar, shields etc etc.

Top Bottom