"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

Gotta admit since I got my new LG CX I haven’t touched Elite after a saw a report from a Cmdr with a butchered OLED because of the massive, and massively bright, HUD elements like radar, shields etc etc.

One thing's for sure: a premium display is not required/recommended for playing Elite Dangerous on PS5. You can bung it on any old TV from the last 10 years (is that how long 1080p has been "standard"??!) and it'll look just as bad.

I jest of course.

Or do I..?

o7

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
One thing's for sure: a premium display is not required/recommended for playing Elite Dangerous on PS5. You can bung it on any old TV from the last 10 years (is that how long 1080p has been "standard"??!) and it'll look just as bad.

I still maintain that Elite actually looks better on my PS4 Pro than my PS5 because of the fuzzy effect.

I fired it up today on my PS4 Pro as I was convinced something is not right on PS5 and was shocked how much better the image quality is on the Pro.

Gutted.

Last edited:
I still maintain that Elite actually looks better on my PS4 Pro than my PS5 because of the fuzzy effect.

I fired it up today on my PS4 Pro as I was convinced something is not right on PS5 and was shocked how much better the image quality is on the Pro.

Gutted.
But what happens here? On PS5 it runs in back compat, so basically it's the same version. Why does it then look better on PS4 Pro than PS5? If the quality mode is broken, how come's broken on PS5 and not PS4 Pro?

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
But what happens here? On PS5 it runs in back compat, so basically it's the same version. Why does it then look better on PS4 Pro than PS5? If the quality mode is broken, how come's broken on PS5 and not PS4 Pro?

I've been having a play and if I force the PS5 to output at 1080p the image quality is improved. I still just think the game looks better on the Pro. It could be in part due to fake HDR which seems to mess with the UI on Elite Dangerous on the PS5, on the PS4 Pro it's running in it's native SDR mode. The PS5 outputs everything in HDR even when the original source does not support it. It's not a problem for most PS4 Pro games on the PS5 because, yes you guessed it they support native HDR. Elite never did and is just forced through an HDR container which in my opinion looks worse. It seriously over saturates the image (seen on the UI orange especially) and changing the preferences in game cannot fix it.

I might have a play tomorrow and disable HDR and 2160p on the PS5. It might look better. Should really not need to jump through hoops.

Quality mode is broken on both. The image quality is something else as hopefully explained above.

I've been having a play and if I force the PS5 to output at 1080p the image quality is improved. I still just think the game looks better on the Pro. It could be in part due to fake HDR which seems to mess with the UI on Elite Dangerous on the PS5, on the PS4 Pro it's running in it's native SDR mode. The PS5 outputs everything in HDR even when the original source does not support it. It's not a problem for most PS4 Pro games on the PS5 because, yes you guessed it they support native HDR. Elite never did and is just forced through an HDR container which in my opinion looks worse. It seriously over saturates the image (seen on the UI orange especially) and changing the preferences in game cannot fix it.

I might have a play tomorrow and disable HDR and 2160p on the PS5. It might look better. Should really not need to jump through hoops.

Quality mode is broken on both. The image quality is something else as hopefully explained above.
I've read that the "forced" HDR is really bad on non-HDR games, and once enabled the HDR stays so even in SDR games. But I still use a 27" BENQ monitor at 1080p, which is a non HDR monitor, and the HDR option is off in PS5 settings. So at least in my particular case, I am not sure the HDR has any impact on quality mode.

But there still is something absolutely off with it, since this monitor I used also for PS4 (not Pro) and definitely the UI looked cleaner, not as blurry as it does now. So I don't know what is going on, and FDEV definitely will not say anything as they have other things to take care of now.

And one more thing, today I landed on a planet to scan some biologicals, and it was a combo down there, the fumaroles and in between those, some huge crystals as well. I have to say that from above, like 30-40 meters I had some horrible frame rate drops in quality mode. The fumes, the crystals, and fumaroles, they all brought this game on PS5 down to 20ish something FPS. Switched it to performance, the image wasn't as clear, but no frame drops. All this in solo play.

So ok, quality is really messed up; I don't even want to imagine what frame drops we'll have when Odyssey hits. I think it'll be pretty bad, quality-wise since it's designed to run on PS4.

I’ll certainly be vocal once I get my PS5, but I don’t have anything to visually compare the two Playstation versions at the moment.

So I run the following:
PS4 Pro ‘Quality’ (Currently a broken toggle).

My screen is a 6-7 year old 1080p 40” LCD.
It does not support HDR, forced HDR will look horrible.

I’ll be hooking my PS5 to this, the only chance I will get to play on a better screen is if this one breaks.

I’d really hope for an HDR & improved resolution implementation patch on PS5 at the very least.

o7

I’ll certainly be vocal once I get my PS5, but I don’t have anything to visually compare the two Playstation versions at the moment.

So I run the following:
PS4 Pro ‘Quality’ (Currently a broken toggle).

My screen is a 6-7 year old 1080p 40” LCD.
It does not support HDR, forced HDR will look horrible.

I’ll be hooking my PS5 to this, the only chance I will get to play on a better screen is if this one breaks.

I’d really hope for an HDR & improved resolution implementation patch on PS5 at the very least.

o7
I think it's wasting our time, being vocal that is. We're simply ignored until we shut about it or move on.

Anyway, I am restarting the PS4 now, updating ED to version 1.52 and give it a go, and see how different it looks.

EDIT: sad to say, the game looks way better on PS4 (not even Pro) than the PS5. No blown up colors, no blurriness. clear picture. Same monitor, same monitor settings as the one I use for PS5, something is definitely off on the PS5 and rendering the game in BC.

Last edited:
Fooled around a bit in PS5 settings - what really brought down the blurriness of the UI for was go to Settings > Screen and Video > Video Output > RGB Range. I set this to full instead of Automatic.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Fooled around a bit in PS5 settings - what really brought down the blurriness of the UI for was go to Settings > Screen and Video > Video Output > RGB Range. I set this to full instead of Automatic.

I tried pretty much all the settings today and nothing really helps. It just looks better on my PS4 Pro. Just seems less 'fuzzy'.

My TV is a 10bit HDR panel. A decent Sony 4K panel, XG90.

How did you find it compared to your PS4?

I am guessing it would look better on a native 1080p screen on both machines.

I tried pretty much all the settings today and nothing really helps. It just looks better on my PS4 Pro. Just seems less 'fuzzy'.

My TV is a 10bit HDR panel. A decent Sony 4K panel, XG90.

How did you find it compared to your PS4?

I am guessing it would look better on a native 1080p screen on both machines.
Same monitor, same settings on it, on PS4 the RGB was set to Automatic and the image was clear, no fuzziness; on PS5, had to adjust the RGB to Full, and it looks better than before, not so blurry, but still the UI looks slightly better on the PS4. It's not as bad now on PS5 with the RGB changed, but still.

And really, I am not sure that switch Quality/Performance does anything on PS5. Except for unacceptably losing frames when looking at crowded POI's.

This is where my FPS tanked under 30FPS on the PS5:

vuQC7pe.jpg

While on the ground (see image below), everything was perfect again.

jkpQGgS.jpg

You know, with these inconsistencies on the PS5 vs PS4, we really need that native version for the PS5. But... "no plans."

Top Bottom