"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

Well, you are in far better shape than me. I have grown increasingly more furious as this gets closer. I have fury in one hand and absolute fear in the other. Fear that at any point they just say it is going to happen at all on consoles.
I have this creeping feeling myself - "Commanders, Horizons is the last version of Elite Dangerous to be launched on consoles." I definitely could see this happen. I mean the way they don't even mask their indifference toward the consoles' version, it's mind numbing at this point.

Will we be able to obtain the pre-order bonus?
Will there be a pre-order at all?
Will Odyssey release for PlayStation?

These are all questions that are starting to float around, I’m happy to wait, but I am slightly concerned.

At least, if Odyssey is broken and needs significant patching, we should be able to continue with our non-Odyssey games unaffected, for now.

My eyes will be on the Alpha threads next week.

o7

These are all questions that are starting to float around, I’m happy to wait, but I am slightly concerned.

At least, if Odyssey is broken and needs significant patching, we should be able to continue with our non-Odyssey games unaffected, for now.

o7
When asked in Twitch chat about the console pre-order for Odyssey, the CM's said they have no available information for now.

o7

In the AMAs before the delay was announced, we started to ask pertinent questions such as "will there be multi-controller support on console, or are we HOTAS CMDRs expected to engage in FPS battles with a flight stick?"

No answers were forthcoming, and shortly after, the delay was announced.

These are questions specific to console that - based on the current communication strategy - almost certainly will not be answered in the next 3 months, never mind during the Alpha...

o7

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
In the AMAs before the delay was announced, we started to ask pertinent questions such as "will there be multi-controller support on console, or are we HOTAS CMDRs expected to engage in FPS battles with a flight stick?"

No answers were forthcoming, and shortly after, the delay was announced.

These are questions specific to console that - based on the current communication strategy - almost certainly will not be answered in the next 3 months, never mind during the Alpha...

o7
To be honest going back to the original PS4 launch trying to get PS4 specific answers or even gameplay footage was very very much the same experience....

And really, I am not sure that switch Quality/Performance does anything on PS5. Except for unacceptably losing frames when looking at crowded POI's.

You know, with these inconsistencies on the PS5 vs PS4, we really need that native version for the PS5. But... "no plans."
Switching “Quality Settings” on on PS5 made lights / shadows on a rotating station less ”flickery” last time I tried A/B’ing the two options. But couldn’t tell any other difference. I actually went back to Performance Settings today as the framerate was getting a bit glitchy in Quality when flying in a wing.

I’m not sure it looks worse for me on PS5 ... hard to say ... I was running my PS4 Pro with an LG OLED supporting 4K and HDR but then moved to a 30” 4K non-HDR monitor. Maybe because it’s a non-HDR panel I’m not getting the ”fuzzy” issue from the PS5? The UI looks very fuzzy/glowy when I tried the PS5 (briefly) on the OLED but the PS4 Pro also looked better when I moved to the monitor, just can’t remember exactly how it looked on the OLED.

TL;DR ... I think ED looks better on a non-HDR screen on any PlayStation.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Dunno my PS4 Pro looks better on my Sony TV than my PS5 (Oddly only with Elite, but then most other games I play have some form of 4K support, so it's probably as basic as that). I do believe it could be due to HDR although I did disable it on the PS5 at system level and still thought the Pro looked better, less 'fuzzy'.

It could all be down to different TVs but, also a smaller screen will look better as it's higher DPI.

So 1080p upscaled will look probably worse the bigger the screen is.

It's just more evidence it needs a 4K mode on PS5.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_2021-03-25-23-21-41-97_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

I was at least hoping for an animation similar to the SRV, your legs are folded over your shoulders as you enter the ship ... ;)
You know what I really hoped, that once we get "teleported" into our ship, there'd be at least 2-3 meters of corridor, or a little nook area, then the doors to cockpit open, and we have the 1st person animation of sitting down... but nope.

Mr Tolmie assured us it's for our own good that we don't have such animations as it could get tedious over time. But it will not be tedious to run around the starport, looking for mission givers and whatnots. Probably every single time, unless they have also the old style menus along with the NPC's.

It's not tedious to look at the same screen and cockpit for hours or months or years on end while playing the game, but it's going to blow my mind with boredom while I go into the ship and go around its interior. Ok, Arthur Tolmie, thanks for saving my life, mate.

You know what I really hoped, that once we get "teleported" into our ship, there'd be at least 2-3 meters of corridor, or a little nook area, then the doors to cockpit open, and we have the 1st person animation of sitting down... but nope.

Mr Tolmie assured us it's for our own good that we don't have such animations as it could get tedious over time. But it will not be tedious to run around the starport, looking for mission givers and whatnots. Probably every single time, unless they have also the old style menus along with the NPC's.

It's not tedious to look at the same screen and cockpit for hours or months or years on end while playing the game, but it's going to blow my mind with boredom while I go into the ship and go around its interior. Ok, Arthur Tolmie, thanks for saving my life, mate.
I blame Thunderbirds. 1, 2 and 3 all had repeated sequences for getting the pilot into the pilots seat and I loved them, it was the signal that the mission was about to begin.

I'd like something similar for Elite Dangerous, but no strings attached.

To summarize...

'We've heard that most of you want some form of ship entry and specifically not a fade to black teleport to cockpit. So we've work hard and long and..... we're going with the fade to black to cockpit.'

Par for the course, right up there with..

"We know a lot of you want ship interiors , especially since we kind of hinted at them more than once during the Kickstart phase. So we've put our best devs on it and..... no ship interiors"

😂😂😂

To summarize...

'We've heard that most of you want some form of ship entry and specifically not a fade to black teleport to cockpit. So we've work hard and long and..... we're going with the fade to black to cockpit.'

Par for the course, right up there with..

"We know a lot of you want ship interiors , especially since we kind of hinted at them more than once during the Kickstart phase. So we've put our best devs on it and..... no ship interiors"

😂😂😂
"Guys, we know it will hurt like hell getting kicked in the balls, we know that... here it comes!!!"

If I ever hated ANYTHING in No Man's Sky, it was running around corridors looking for NPC's with missions.

Top Bottom