"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

I totally agree with you, base interiors are much, much easier than ships' interiors.

Also, imagine going around your ship and using a lot of cockpit customization all over the place? But hey... they could sell a bunch of Arx like that?
very much this, the personalisation levels ship interiors would generate would be worth it surely
the thing is as a business they must have researched stuff like this?

I would rather let my imagination work on the ship interiors...

Not saying that his interiors are not nice, but they're nice at hobby level and while they do have the initial wow factor, they bring nothing to my gaming experience and they will become a burden to the gameplay if i will have to fight with stairs and corners and tight spaces to get in/out of the ship.

So i really hope if they ever get in ship interiors, they will not tie it in any way with the game play.
Running the corridors in Mass Effect or SW:Kotor gets tiresome fast - and while i really loved and replayed a lot those 2 game series, the part where you have to leg it inside the ships to do the talk was... meh...

So - obviously we’ve digressed from our what do we want? “A PS5 Version” when do we want it? “NOW!“ topic ... which I’m fine with ... so ...

Does anyone know what’s happening with the existing “ship menus”? The new menus accessed on foot look much nicer and whilst I’m hoping it will be possible to select missions (either ship based or foot based) via BOTH ship menu and by walking/talking ... if the menus used for each method of mission selection are wildly different that’ll be kinda annoying ... much like Fleet Carrier menus being “flashier” than station menus is nice an all ... but stuffs not in the same place!!

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
So - obviously we’ve digressed from our what do we want? “A PS5 Version” when do we want it? “NOW!“ topic ... which I’m fine with ... so ...

Does anyone know what’s happening with the existing “ship menus”? The new menus accessed on foot look much nicer and whilst I’m hoping it will be possible to select missions (either ship based or foot based) via BOTH ship menu and by walking/talking ... if the menus used for each method of mission selection are wildly different that’ll be kinda annoying ... much like Fleet Carrier menus being “flashier” than station menus is nice an all ... but stuffs not in the same place!!
Was discussed a bit earlier. The suggestion from the live stream implied it would be available in both. I noticed the terminal with missions seemed to show rewards for new Odyssey stuff so I assume you can do it all from your ship menu.

I can't find the exact time they talked about it but, it was briefly mentioned to some degree.

This is basically our PS5 rant thread. 😁

As long as all threads don't become a carbon copy of this one...

Was discussed a bit earlier. The suggestion from the live stream implied it would be available in both. I noticed the terminal with missions seemed to show rewards for new Odyssey stuff so I assume you can do it all from your ship menu.

I can't find the exact time they talked about it but, it was briefly mentioned to some degree.

This is basically our PS5 rant thread. 😁
Cool - I think I caught an abridged YouTube video ... perhaps I need to find the full one!

Really hope that Mission Terminal interface is what the ship-based menus will use as well, as it looked much cleaner. Likewise the ship purchase interface where you could choose manufacturer, see an actual rendering of the ship would be a welcome improvement to the current menu. Just hope menus are standardised regardless of where / how you access them.

PS5 players? Ranting about stuff? Surely not ... ;)

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Having watched a few videos it appears the bonus of doing it in person with mission givers will be the option to haggle for better rewards something the console mission board didn't appear to allow. Would assume the ship mission board is the same. There is speculation about what missions will be available via which mission board. Ie will ship mission boards only be ship based missions or will it be a mix.

Having watched a few videos it appears the bonus of doing it in person with mission givers will be the option to haggle for better rewards something the console mission board didn't appear to allow. Would assume the ship mission board is the same. There is speculation about what missions will be available via which mission board. Ie will ship mission boards only be ship based missions or will it be a mix.
Good point. Now that you reminded me, that "haggling" seemed so out of place for Elite Dangerous. I think I haggled too much in The Witcher 😂

Watch this and feel flat out lied to 😉

@2:43 he says, with no coy phrasing or beat-around-the-bush typical fdev vagueness, "another example that we've built in to the structure of the game is ship interiors..."

Source: https://youtu.be/EM0Gcl7iUM8

So, yea. Lies
"You will be able to walk around your ship" - oh yeah... when, David Braben OBE?

Thanks for posting this, didn't know about it. Now I feel even worse 🤣

I like to think the present discussion in this thread about the Odyssey Alpha reveal is taking place within the context of requiring a PS5 native version, and each additional point raised is another reason that we require a PS5 native version, in order to get the best out of Odyssey on console. (if indeed it ever makes it to console)

Within the context of the PS5:
I find it interesting that the minimum specs for PC are for 720p gameplay...

...and recommended specs are for 1080p gameplay

... and no sign of VR specs at all yet...

That suggests to me that the PS4 is likely to be a container for Odyssey for a long time, and a PS5 native version at modern resolution and frame rate is a long way off in the future. Back of the queue behind the VR implementation.

I think at some point Arthur said something like "Imagine, you're in a firefight, and you have to take off quickly, you cannot just wait and see the animation of going up the ladder every single time, while everyone's shooting at you" and so on and so forth.
With the right design, running up your ship's ramp under fire could be quite exciting surely?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U7sAAcYzA0

my vote would be walk up ramp to airlock (generic for all ships), then fade to black to walking into the cockpit (already modeled for each ship), and player controlled walk to chair; the reverse to exit, button to stand, walk to rear cockpit door, fade to black to airlock above ramp outside.

yes all a bit OT, but PS5 version would allow 1) 4K checkerboard / 60fps options 2) PSVR version to match what PC VR has (no VR for last gen).

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I like to think the present discussion in this thread about the Odyssey Alpha reveal is taking place within the context of requiring a PS5 native version, and each additional point raised is another reason that we require a PS5 native version, in order to get the best out of Odyssey on console. (if indeed it ever makes it to console)

Within the context of the PS5:
I find it interesting that the minimum specs for PC are for 720p gameplay...

...and recommended specs are for 1080p gameplay

... and no sign of VR specs at all yet...

That suggests to me that the PS4 is likely to be a container for Odyssey for a long time, and a PS5 native version at modern resolution and frame rate is a long way off in the future. Back of the queue behind the VR implementation.
To be honest these minimum specification requirements give even more reason for a PS5 version. The PS4 is going to struggle.

yes all a bit OT, but PS5 version would allow 1) 4K checkerboard / 60fps options 2) PSVR version to match what PC VR has (no VR for last gen).

Is the Cobra engine even capable of checkerboard rendering? If the Xbox One X can get a 4K mode there is definitely scope for the PS5.

In this screenshot from the Starport Tour they have a press circled ‘X’ to board Ship. And yes I know that PC’s use controllers too but having it built in graphically into the PC Alpha gives me small hope for release on console.
X to board ship.png

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
The improved Cobra engine on consoles? 😬

Top Bottom