"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

Another Dev has announced a PS5 update to a PS4 game, this time the approach they are taking is to deliver fairly substantial improvements - 4K / 60FPS/ Graphical quality updates - in the form of a £10 update.

I'm guessing most on here would pay a similar price for Elite if it were available? I know I would.

Or would you only consider it as a free update, but alongside purchasing major DLC like Odyssey perhaps?

I know FDev don't have any plans for either, but maybe keeping the discussion going here helps keep this in focus as a core requirement for PS5 CMDRs who've so far been largely ignored.

o7

Another Dev has announced a PS5 update to a PS4 game, this time the approach they are taking is to deliver fairly substantial improvements - 4K / 60FPS/ Graphical quality updates - in the form of a £10 update.

I'm guessing most on here would pay a similar price for Elite if it were available? I know I would.

Or would you only consider it as a free update, but alongside purchasing major DLC like Odyssey perhaps?

I know FDev don't have any plans for either, but maybe keeping the discussion going here helps keep this in focus as a core requirement for PS5 CMDRs who've so far been largely ignored.

o7
I would pay for an upgrade to PS5 version. And for Odyssey, if they upgrade it.

And to add some more salt, Bugbear Entertainment, the developer @boppa_ just posted will upgrade Wreckfest has 28 employees!!! 28!!!

And yes, their game is multi-plat, all of them platforms, Windows, Xbox, PS4/PS5.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Ask yourself this question... is it even worth it?
It took me 30 seconds. I doubt it will ever be read.

o7

I would happily pay a little - £10 seems reasonable - for a PS5 native version with 4K/60fps and whatever other improvements might be possible - such as this “bloom” thing.

TBH, I would be more likely to pay for that than for Odyssey ... I’m still on the fence as to whether I am that bothered about being able to walk around in the game I bought to fly spaceships ... whereas an improvement to the flying spaceships part would be far more appealing.

I would happily pay a little - £10 seems reasonable - for a PS5 native version with 4K/60fps and whatever other improvements might be possible - such as this “bloom” thing.

TBH, I would be more likely to pay for that than for Odyssey ... I’m still on the fence as to whether I am that bothered about being able to walk around in the game I bought to fly spaceships ... whereas an improvement to the flying spaceships part would be far more appealing.
I really don't care walking about stations or ground bases to do... things, but I will be very much interested about the on-foot exploration. So basically I am interested in phase 3 of the alpha.

o7
When I switched from ps3 to ps4 on gta5 I had to purchase the game new again and just transfered my Rockstar acct. I would be more than willing to pay full price for the game if released on the new platform. I thought that was the standard 🤷‍♂️. I wonder if they didn't do it thinking we would want it for a free upgrade?

Was thinking about this the other day and it could be as simple as unlocking 1440p for PS5 and calling it a high resolution mode. The PC can of course select a lot of extensive graphics options not available on console. Maybe they could detect the PS5 and allow us some further options. 🤔

I'd be willing to beta test it. 😁
Fairly sure the the PS5 doesn’t support actually outputting at1440p ... as part of an up-scaling to 4K solution, though? Maybe!

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Fairly sure the the PS5 doesn’t support actually outputting at1440p ... as part of an up-scaling to 4K solution, though? Maybe!

You are right it doesn't support an output at 1440p but many, many games even on the Pro internally render at resolutions smaller than 2160p and then are upscaled to 2160p.

Very few if any games on PS4 Pro run at native 4K and even with the PS5 many run between 1440p and 1800p internally before being upscaled to 2160p

This is probably why we'll never see it as the the Cobra engine might not even support different internal rendering vs output. Although on PC it does have super sampling options available.

I am not sure with Odyssey the PS5 will be able to sustain great performance at 2160p but, I guess it's all mute.

Interestingly Planet Coaster runs at native 4K on the PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom