"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Interestingly I remember the PS4 Pro used to display a message on screen when launching it was in supersampled mode. I did ask Lloyd M about this one way back, never got a response.

I don't know if it still does that. The PS5 doesn't mention supersampling. I wonder if this is why to me the graphics actually seem slightly worse on PS5 maybe coupled with all the things we've covered about HDR, and bloom.

🤷‍♂️

Isn't it odd how Frontier were so concerned that everyone had the same experience when it came to getting cosmetics (ARX), but in other aspects, they don't care whether the experience is universal or not?

Well, this is on Sony, not on FD

My XBox One S plays ED in supersampled 4k mode on my 4k TV. Sure it doesn't look that good as native 4k, but it is definitely better than 1080p
But, that's solely Microsoft's merit, not FD. As far ED is concerned, it churns out frames at 1080p

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Well, this is on Sony, not on FD

My XBox One S plays ED in supersampled 4k mode on my 4k TV. Sure it doesn't look that good as native 4k, but it is definitely better than 1080p
But, that's solely Microsoft's merit, not FD. As far ED is concerned, it churns out frames at 1080p
To be honest I think the PS4 Pro does this too. Maybe the PS5 is doing it also as it's running the game in BC Pro mode.

The PS4 vanilla doesn't support 4K output ofc.

The Xbox X One, Series S and Series X actually support 4K modes in ED.

I remember going to the FDev Expo in 2017 and specifically looking at PS4 vs Xbox One (before One X) and the game at that point definitely looked better on PlayStation. All mute now.

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Yea, but it is quite sad to see FD getting trashed for Sony's PS limitations.
I disagree. Noone is 'trashing' FDev. People are understandably frustrated that the PS5 is not getting love.

Xbox is fortunate as the Series X and Series S can tap into the already enhanced Xbox One X 4K version. Still even Xbox players are asking for a native Series version which I support wholeheartedly.

We just want a PS5 version. Many developers with much smaller teams than FDev are adding PS5 support.

To be honest I think the PS4 Pro does this too. Maybe the PS5 is doing it also as it's running the game in BC Pro mode.

The PS4 vanilla doesn't support 4K output ofc.

The Xbox X One, Series S and Series X actually support 4K modes in ED.

I remember going to the FDev Expo in 2017 and specifically looking at PS4 vs Xbox One (before One X) and the game at that point definitely looked better on PlayStation. All mute now.

Not sure how so many people think that it's a console limitation, probably because they're not informed enough. It's not a console manufacturer's job to bring a developer's game up-to-date on new console hardware, it's solely that developer's job. The console maker makes hardware not software, but hey, it's a forum, and everyone's got an opinion.

It wasn't Sony's job to make Control run the way it does now, or Demon's Souls, or Miles Morales, or NMS, or Wreckfest from Bugbear Entertainment, or The Division 2, or ANY other game that runs close or at 4K in 60 FPS, it was the developer's.

So people coming out and saying it's Sony's job to do that are either utterly uninformed or are just posting for the sake of doing it.

Not sure how so many people think that it's a console limitation

The way a new console is supporting older games is in the console manufacturer's yard.
While in no way i think this should turn into a XB vs PS crap, MS undeniably did a way better job than Sony in this regard

Series S can tap into the already enhanced Xbox One X 4K version.

Nope, Series S runs the game as a XB One/S would do,
Only the Series X can run XB One X enhanced titles.

Also, back on 4k, again it's not FD's fault that PS4 Pro was not powerful enough to run ED in 4k native.

But indeed, i would like to see a native version for the new consoles too.
Hopefully this year, as a consolation prize for the late Odyssey Launch.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Ahh I assumed the Xbox Series S could tap into the One X version. Everyday is a school day. Thanks.

Putting the BC performance of Xbox Series vs PS5 aside. It's not really the problem at work here with Elite Dangerous.

The PS5 is doing the best job it can with with the Pro version. It does run pretty flawlessly with respect to frame rate for me on PS5 albeit with a few crashes and the existing bugs.

I'd just like to see the PS5 graphical power unlocked for Elite. Especially with Odyssey coming.

Also, back on 4k, again it's not FD's fault that PS4 Pro was not powerful enough to run ED in 4k native.

The PS4 Pro may not render in native 4K but its upscaled 4K rendering was more than capable of allowing FDev to support 4K on the PS4 Pro. The power was there but FDev didn't use it because it would have taken effort. That ED didn't get upgraded to 4K for the PS4 Pro as it did for the XBox One X is on FDev and FDev alone, no one else.

As a lucky PS5 owner I'm also quite disappointed about the non existing plans for a native PS5 version. I'm just hoping that at one point frontier sees financial value in releasing a PS5 (and a Series X) version. I would gladly pay for that. Running the PS4 Pro Version ist just not cutting it anymore when the now current gen consoles are so much more capable. I stopped playing on PC 20 years ago for a reason so that's no option for me. Fingers crossed that we'll get positive info later this year...

As a lucky PS5 owner I'm also quite disappointed about the non existing plans for a native PS5 version.

There's a significant difference between the absence of plans and no public announcement of a plan. Were understandably not privy to Frontier`s internal planning, hence this lovely thread full of assumptions and guesswork.

We`ll have more clarity on this when Odyssey is ported to Consoles, at which stage, the lack of current-gen versions will stick out like a sore thumb. So at this stage, it's a wait and see job. Anyone who tells you that all hope is lost is talking nonsense. Keep lobbying.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Am I the only one who is puzzled by the fact, that new consoles don't have full backward compatibility to their predecessors by default?
Erm the PS5 has pretty much full backwards compatibility with the PS4. Literally a handful of games don't work.

The Xbox Series consoles can play all the old Xbox stuff.

This isn't what this thread is about. We want native PS5 support not backwards compatibility.

We have that already.

Keep lobbying.

Just to add some context.

This thread has 63k views, with 1k replies over 64 pages. It's been on the front page of the PlayStation sub-forum consistently since it's inception in August.

In contrast to similarly popular topics in other sections of the forum, there are 0 replies from anyone at Frontier on this thread.

The initial "no plans" information to start the thread came via a verbal quote on a third party website, and was left unconfirmed for months. The Frontier CM team have addressed the subject exactly 0 times, except when questioned directly as part of the now scrapped AMA's. The answer was 12 words of vaguery consistent with the "no plans" quote.

Since that time, the CM team who apparently actively lurk in the forums, and who's job it is to relay and address player's concerns via the Dev team, have consistently ignored this thread's subject on all subsequent live streams, across all forms of social media, and on the forums.

Lovely...

o7

... the CM team who apparently actively lurk in the forums ... have consistently ignored this thread's subject on all subsequent live streams...
That's not quite true :unsure: they acknowledged kinda when one person asked about the PS5 (next gen?) version on a live stream, and the CMs said (paraphrased) the stream was not for that, and when asked again they banned that user.

So the question had been "not ignored" in a roundabout way, and again in a roundabout way we know the CMs know we're asking ;) and we know they know we know.

(i'm going to have a lie down after that pedantic mental contortion)

That's not quite true :unsure: they acknowledged kinda when one person asked about the PS5 (next gen?) version on a live stream, and the CMs said (paraphrased) the stream was not for that, and when asked again they banned that user.

So the question had been "not ignored" in a roundabout way, and again in a roundabout way we know the CMs know we're asking ;) and we know they know we know.

(i'm going to have a lie down after that pedantic mental contortion)
I'm a little confused by how this counts as not ignored. Frontier have given their answer, and will give no other answer until Odyssey is released and stable on Windows. Then the acid test will come.*

* For clarity, this is not based on firm knowledge so is in fact speculation.

In contrast to similarly popular topics in other sections of the forum, there are 0 replies from anyone at Frontier on this thread.

Which means nothing. You can draw negative inferences all you want, but they add no value.

Since that time, the CM team who apparently actively lurk in the forums, and who's job it is to relay and address player's concerns via the Dev team, have consistently ignored this thread's subject on all subsequent live streams, across all forms of social media, and on the forums.

Lovely...

Perpetually smashing the "Doom" button is a real turn off to both fellow forum members and CM`s alike.

Frontier have given their answer, and will give no other answer until Odyssey is released and stable on Windows. Then the acid test will come.*

Something else to think about in the context of that "acid test".

The updated graphics which are coming out of the Odyssey project will clearly trickle down to the base game*. It seems that the base game is getting a pretty significant reworking as part of Odyssey. Were seeing UI design overhauls, functional enhancements to the UI, new features in the base game like autoland - and likely more which we haven't seen yet.

Frontier has clearly used the Odyssey project to make changes to the wider game in an effort to keep it up to date and relevant in today's marketplace.

This is not the behaviour of a developer who is winding down their game.

*Thats my speculation, but seems highly likely at least to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom