"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

Yea, but it is quite sad to see FD getting trashed for Sony's PS limitations.

That ED didn't get upgraded to 4K for the PS4 Pro as it did for the XBox One X is on FDev and FDev alone, no one else.

FD did not enabled any form of upscaling. They enabled 4k native or not

And unfortunately PS4 Pro was not powerful enough to run ED in 4k in native mode 😒
(12gb ram, 384 bit bus, 326gb/s bandwidth and 6 TFlops on XB1X vs 8gb ram, 256 bit bus, 217 gb/s bandwidth and 4.1 TFlops for PS4 Pro)

oh, well, i rest my 💼

And i really hope they surprise us with a late autumn release of Odyssey with native support for PS5 and XB Series.
Guess it depends on how well the PC launch goes on and how fast they iron out the bugs revealed at release (i would expect at least 3-4 update patches in the first 6-8 weeks post launch)

And i really hope they surprise us with a late autumn release of Odyssey with native support for PS5 and XB Series.
Guess it depends on how well the PC launch goes on and how fast they iron out the bugs revealed at release (i would expect at least 3-4 update patches in the first 6-8 weeks post launch)

Based on my experience of the PC Alpha (of course the Alpha is 'unoptimised') the base last-gen consoles will struggle to deliver a consistent experience in 1080p/30fps without a significant downgrade to visuals.

The "currently" qualifier was delivered in August 2020. We're now 7 months down the line and nothing has changed except that the last-gen console port of Odyssey has been delayed significantly. In lieu of any subsequent announcements (read: deafening silence) I'm inclined to infer absolutely nothing from the fact that they included the word "currently" :rolleyes:
You're right about the timescale, but in 'FDev time' 7 months is not that long. Add the fact that many things in the world have slowed over the last year or so and we can probably bank on waiting a while before we hear anything more from them on this subject - I still think it's more likely to happen than not.

I'm sorry, I can't agree that 'boiling down' statements like "No current plans" or "No plans at present" to a simple "No plans" is an accurate or logical way to sum up those statements. You are removing an important qualifier and altering the original meaning of the statements.

The tone and the "no plans" dogma are lobbying tactics, IMO. To be fair, it's probably a significant reason why this thread is still alive.

FD did not enabled any form of upscaling. They enabled 4k native or not

And unfortunately PS4 Pro was not powerful enough to run ED in 4k in native mode 😒
(12gb ram, 384 bit bus, 326gb/s bandwidth and 6 TFlops on XB1X vs 8gb ram, 256 bit bus, 217 gb/s bandwidth and 4.1 TFlops for PS4 Pro)

oh, well, i rest my 💼

You seem to have conveniently ignored this line in my comment.

The power was there but FDev didn't use it because it would have taken effort.

The PS4 Pro didn't have to run ED in native 4K, it could have run it in upscaled 4K as it did to great effect with so many other games. The difference is that would have required a bit of effort on FDev's part and they obviously weren't prepared to put in that effort otherwise they would have. So once again, the blame rests with FDev an no one else.

You seem to have conveniently ignored this line in my comment.

The PS4 Pro didn't have to run ED in native 4K, it could have run it in upscaled 4K as it did to great effect with so many other games. The difference is that would have required a bit of effort on FDev's part and they obviously weren't prepared to put in that effort otherwise they would have. So once again, the blame rests with FDev an no one else.

There's no value in arguing over why we are where we are with the mid-gen refreshes because it's not going to change anything.

More players lobbying for console ports is better - assuming we can keep things away from console tribalism.
I agree with you, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the case. I mean, there are a few posts above which go into some detail as how Xbox was more powerful than PS4 Pro, so... what does that help in the given situation, in this thread which supposedly discusses about a native PS5 version, not backwards compatibility?

Anyway, we digress again.

Yep it's been wandering, and i'm not sure i'm going to help ;) but someone mentioned about CM engagement, and whilst checking something else on their customer support pages i noticed that they havent updated the Cobra MK4 to the statement given last year ("not coming"), and it still has the 29/09/2018 statement "We recommend PS4 users keep an eye on our social media channels for updates regarding the Cobra Mk IV.":

So not really a great sign* when they can't be bothered aligning a consistent message in all their spaces.

* unless there's still hope for parity and fairness

So not really a great sign* when they can't be bothered aligning a consistent message in all their spaces.

It's not an easy job to be consistent given all the different channels there are for comms and all the people involved in those channels, but even with that qualifier in mind, Frontier are not the best at this. Another reason why I personally don't hang on every word.

Has anyone tried ELITE since the new SONY firmware update for PS5?

Apparently the HDR issue on non HDR games has now been fixed, I think it will actually turn off correctly and no longer force it?!

Wondering if this will help it look a bit better and less blurred and oversaturated like some have stated?!

I cannot confirm, as I rather unluckily cannot get hold of a PS5.... still trying!!!

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Has anyone tried ELITE since the new SONY firmware update for PS5?

Apparently the HDR issue on non HDR games has now been fixed, I think it will actually turn off correctly and no longer force it?!

Wondering if this will help it look a bit better and less blurred and oversaturated like some have stated?!

I cannot confirm, as I rather unluckily cannot get hold of a PS5.... still trying!!!

I had a quick look earlier and it looked marginally better. I'll need to mess around with my gamma and dashboard brightness to compensate but, it's a decent feature to add as it's bugged me that the only way to play PS4 SDR games like Elite without fake HDR was to completely disable HDR on the system.

Now we don't need to. 👍

I had a quick look earlier and it looked marginally better. I'll need to mess around with my gamma and dashboard brightness to compensate but, it's a decent feature to add as it's bugged me that the only way to play PS4 SDR games like Elite without fake HDR was to completely disable HDR on the system.

Now we don't need to. 👍
Interesting ... I only logged on briefly post-update to do some ship outfitting prior to getting stuck into a war tomorrow so will check how things look then!

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Interesting ... I only logged on briefly post-update to do some ship outfitting prior to getting stuck into a war tomorrow so will check how things look then!

Don't expect miracles. It's just so slightly less overblown. It looks more natural as it should on the PS4 Pro. It's still 1080p upscaled to 2160p so still 'fuzzy'.

I've had HDR disabled since Day One and it's always been blurry for me :whistle:

I'll take all I can at this point, it's an improvement for me as I couldn't be bothered messing with HDR at the system level everytime I want to play Elite but, it's not going to magically fix the fact it's still running in 1080p. 🤣

UPDATE:

US NPD HW - PlayStation 5 is the fastest selling console in U.S. history in both unit and dollar sales (lifetime sales with five months on the market)

Reference: Source: https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1383042380018765830
That’s impressive, but I do wonder how many of those are sitting in scalpers warehouses, lockup’s, garages or vehicles.

It’s going to be a considerably long time before demand is met with supply.

Top Bottom