"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

Conspiracy Alert

I wonder if the decision to defer Odyssey Consoles to Autumn 2021 was also driven in part by re-allocating the PS5 / Xbox X|S dev consoles from Planet Coaster to Lemmings Gate?

It was previously advertised as early 2021, but announced yesterday that it would launch on PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox X|S and Xbox one in the Summer 2021.

I wonder if Elite had been de-prioritised behind the commercial Lemmings gate launch? (and that Frontier will announce a dedicated current Gen console version soon - once they get their hands on the dev consoles)

Still... the fact remains, not having plans for the fastest ever selling console platform in US history... is a bit strange...

I appreciate me pointing this out isn't going to change your tack, but still, you're deliberately ignoring the difference between internal planning and publicly announced plans, which actually serves to undermine the point you are trying to make.

I appreciate me pointing this out isn't going to change your tack, but still, you're deliberately ignoring the difference between internal planning and publicly announced plans, which actually serves to undermine the point you are trying to make.

Just as easily as you can claim:

"there are plans but they haven't told us yet"

I can also claim:

"there are no plans and what they've told us is accurate"

Unless you work at Frontier and know different, then are you not simply making an assumption, with no factual basis?

Just as easily as you can claim:

"there are plans but they haven't told us yet"

I can also claim:

Unless you work at Frontier and know different, then are you not simply making an assumption, with no factual basis?

I'm not claiming anything of the sort. Framing this as a binary choice serves your argument, but it's not reality. I, just like you, and all other players, haven't got a clue what their internal planning looks like. What I do know (as do you) is that internal planning is a thing and it's a separate thing from what we publicly know today. Someone would have to be quite special to believe that every piece of planned work (whether that be a firm plan, or a plan subject to change) within the team is instantly shared with the player base.

So when you question frontiers wisdom becuase they have ignored the world best selling console, that's so painfully and obviously transparent. Becuase you don't know what the internal discussion on current-gen looks like, nor how that discussion evolves over time. But we all know those discussions have and will continue to take place internally, outside of our gaze. And you know that.

In truth, whilst I absolutely agree with all the lobbying for what people want, I don't think It will be these threads that determine when they pull the trigger on current-gen, I think it will be numbers on a spreadsheet.

EDIT::
I can also claim:

Yes, that's a reasonable claim, Frontier has not shared any plans with us. Once again, that's not informing us (and it's not intended to inform us) about the internal discussions.

Unless of course, you believe there's some kind of conspiracy to suppress internal discussions on current-gen??

Last edited:
Conspiracy Alert

I wonder if the decision to defer Odyssey Consoles to Autumn 2021 was also driven in part by re-allocating the PS5 / Xbox X|S dev consoles from Planet Coaster to Lemmings Gate?
No way we can tell, but wild speculation is half of what this forum is. You would have hoped developers didn't have any shortage of dev kits at this stage, given how many actual game consoles have shipped to customers, despite the global semiconductor shortages.

I personally think what we`ve seen and what we know add up to a plausible explanation:: Everyone got sent home, which has had the effect of reducing the teams capacity, and as a reaction to that, they re-cut the plan and chose to get PC out the door first.

Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule.

I'm not claiming anything of the sort. Framing this as a binary choice serves your argument, but it's not reality. I, just like you, and all other players, haven't got a clue what their internal planning looks like. What I do know (as do you) is that internal planning is a thing and it's a separate thing from what we publicly know today. Someone would have to be quite special to believe that every piece of planned work (whether that be a firm plan, or a plan subject to change) within the team is instantly shared with the player base.

So when you question frontiers wisdom becuase they have ignored the world best selling console, that's so painfully and obviously transparent. Becuase you don't know what the internal discussion on current-gen looks like, nor how that discussion evolves over time. But we all know those discussions have and will continue to take place internally, outside of our gaze. And you know that.

In truth, whilst I absolutely agree with all the lobbying for what people want, I don't think It will be these threads that determine when they pull the trigger on current-gen, I think it will be numbers on a spreadsheet.

EDIT::

Yes, that's a reasonable claim, Frontier has not shared any plans with us. Once again, that's not informing us (and it's not intended to inform us) about the internal discussions.

Unless of course, you believe there's some kind of conspiracy to suppress internal discussions on current-gen??

I'm inclined to take them at their word that they have no plans partly because the last 7 months have proven that to be the case... and partly because the reality is, they answer other similar questions in a completely different manner. As an example, Cross Play consistently get the "we're aware of it, we're looking into it, nothing to announce at this time" treatment.

Like I said when this was announced, I'm happy to go on thinking that they have no plans, until they announce something different, rather than trying to second guess at their actual intentions purely for the sake of being contrary on a forum.

The funny thing is that I expected just the opposite - I expected Frontier to pull the plug on PS4 / XBox when Odyssey came out, switching to PS5 and new XBox. Then they could finally get rid of Elephant Butt Leather! :p

They would not be the first company to do this (thinking back to the PS3 to PS4 transition). It would not even be the first time Frontier had done something like this, thinking back to the Mac version of ED.

Their decision to focus on old tech while ignoring newer tech is puzzling to me...

With not many PS5's on the market, probably the bigger install base for ED is still on PS4 as of now. Dropping support for PS4 for Odyssey will not sell them too many copies of it on the PS4 itself, so I doubt they'll do it.

But I do agree that not yet considering (at least not publicly acknowledged) a PS5 native version is intriguing to say the least.

The funny thing is that I expected just the opposite - I expected Frontier to pull the plug on PS4 / XBox when Odyssey came out, switching to PS5 and new XBox. Then they could finally get rid of Elephant Butt Leather! :p

They would not be the first company to do this (thinking back to the PS3 to PS4 transition). It would not even be the first time Frontier had done something like this, thinking back to the Mac version of ED.

Their decision to focus on old tech while ignoring newer tech is puzzling to me...

Puzzling is right.

Indeed when Odyssey was first announced, it appeared as though they'd timed the release window to coincide with the release of the current-gen consoles (before it got delayed to Q1 2021, and then again to Autumn for consoles....

When they originally announced that, I naively thought they'd be releasing as a launch title on PS5, and that they'd jump on the back of the console release hype. If I'd have known it wouldn't pan out like that, I would've probably stopped playing ED on console at that point (maybe altogether).

To be frank, the way they have treat Console CMDRs throughout all of this has been a real let down.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule.
No word on PS5. Sad face. 😟

1619109463514.png

:rolleyes:

Top Bottom