"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

Most PC / Console arguments are rendered obsolete by replacing the word "console" with "medium spec PC"

Or beyond bottom spec PC in my case....

Nothing works on it, a Windows 10 update destroyed Windows 10. Then all my restore points broke. So I don’t really use it anymore, I’m predominantly sitting comfortably in my lounge enjoying my PS4 Pro on my big screen.

I don't mean to equate a console with a medium spec PC. The PS5 is equivalent to a very respectably spec-ed PC. What I mean to say is that when people are blaming consoles for holding a game back, they forget that Frontier still need to support PC's with hardware that is often below minimum console spec. In addition, controller arguments about controllers and MNK are also obsolete. Many PC players play with controller. Many console games support MnKB.

In the age of Cross Play, these petty arguments are wholly obsolete. Any inequalities land on the shoulders of the developer's lack of commitment to console playerbase. As is evidenced by this mammoth thread.

No more questions your honour.

o7

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
As for 4K 60fps raytracing and native PS5 support, Returnal has all that and it plays like a dream, and Housemarque is only 80 people (all roles, like the tea lady, not just developers). I got molested by something with far too many tentacles, but loving it!

According to DF Returnal is only 1080p internally rendered and using some form of reconstruction to 1440p then 2160p.

It's also using only RT for lightning calculations apparently so no impressive RT bling.

Stuck with UE4 probably doesn't help or do it justice. Have to admit it's not really a game which interests me tbh.

I often wonder if the Cobra engine could use reconstruction techniques it would help both PC and consoles performance and boost PS4 Pro / PS5 image quality. Elite only appears to support native resolutions with some very crude form of supersampling on the PC version.

Last edited:
Yeah i saw that after posting. Housemarque claim it's 1440p, then checkerboard 4K, but thats still better than Elite. Ditto 60fps. Ditto at least using the RT for calculations - again more than Elite.
Recently someone was pointing out how PC gamers laugh at consoles using checkerboard 4K, while saying how great DLSS is in their next sentance without any hypocrisy. It's all stuff to make a game look better.

Specifically for Returnal, given it's a fast moving game with lots of bullets flying about, DF themselves point out it's the right decision for this game to cut/construct resolution for stable framerate.

DF video for anyone interested (resolution discussion at about 15:36):

Source: https://youtu.be/8gXNem1Vyz4?t=936

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Yeah i saw that after posting. Housemarque claim it's 1440p, then checkerboard 4K, but thats still better than Elite. Ditto 60fps. Ditto at least using the RT for calculations - again more than Elite.
Recently someone was pointing out how PC gamers laugh at consoles using checkerboard 4K, while saying how great DLSS is in their next sentance without any hypocrisy. It's all stuff to make a game look better.

Specifically for Returnal, given it's a fast moving game with lots of bullets flying about, DF themselves point out it's the right decision for this game to cut/construct resolution for stable framerate.

DF video for anyone interested (resolution discussion at about 15:36):

Source: https://youtu.be/8gXNem1Vyz4?t=936
I have to confess I sometimes get tired of Alex because at heart he's a typical PC gamer you can feel how it pains him to say anything good about consoles and he even gets a dig in about how it would play better on PC, with KBM.

But yeh, it still just doesn't appeal to me as a game.

The problem with Elite is I guess it really is an older engine now which is old school where native was all you got. With newer improved techniques of checkerboard and DLSS (although I think that's Nvidia only, AMD doesn't seem to have an answer) things can be improved.

Even a game like HZD which uses 4K checkerboard and is actually older than Elite on PS4 Pro still holds up today graphically.

I guess the worry for me is the PS5 probably doesn't have the horsepower to run even Odyssey in 2160p natively at 60fps with the way it's shaping up right now.

I've been material farming on my alt account and the crystal shard forests at 1080p destroy the frame rate on the PS5. I was like seriously!? I realise in BC mode the full GPU and CPU clocks are not available but, still. That should not be happening and that's just Horizons.

Last edited:
I have to confess I sometimes get tired of Alex because at heart he's a typical PC gamer you can feel how it pains him to say anything good about consoles and he even gets a dig in about how it would play better on PC, with KBM.
Is he the one with a bias for Xbox and against Playstation too?

There were some ridiculous comparisons in some videos not so long ago, like comparing framerates in photomode with various filters applied and people pointed out in-game was different, but it seemed the only way to show Xbox Series X was better in this one component than PS5.
But yes the PC bias is there too. Still they do very interesting videos, one just has to consider if it's relevant to oneself.

Loving Returnal, but it's defo a niche game.

Other developers such as Dovetail are not so cautious:

Arriving on New Platforms​

Train Sim World 2 will be upgraded to Unreal Engine 4.26 along with new features focused on immersion and released on next generation for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. Playing on these new consoles gives the advantage of faster load times, higher frame rate and improved visuals resulting in a smooth gameplay experience. The Train Sim World 2 update and next generation versions will be released alongside Rush Hour.

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
As it stands,
  • following the announcement of Odyssey in August 2020, an interview on a gaming site quoted two Frontier representatives saying that they had no plans for development on XBox series X or PS5.
  • Frontier, in January 2021, issued a statement saying that they were delaying console release for Odyssey until Autumn 2021 in favour of getting PC Odyssey out of the door within FY2020.
  • April 2021 saw the Elite Odyssey launch page posted, listing PC, PS4 and Xbox. (no mention of anything specific for PS5)

I think you need to bear in mind the timing of the "no plans for development" statement. When this statement was made neither console was out yet. Frontier did have devkits for the new systems but these would have been tied up working on the Planet Coaster console launch which was due to release in November. Also the plan at this time could well have been for a simultaneous release on PC/XB1/PS4 which became a moot point by the time of your second bulletpoint, consoles being pushed back.

If the consoles have been pushed back it is plausible that this extension buys them time to also do XBSX/PS5 support. It doesn't make the first statement untrue, just potentially outdated. If their plan has changed you're not going to get an announcement until much closer to the release window, certainly not in a logo on a video outro potentially 7 months ahead of the console release. Confirming what we already know (XB1/PS4 versions) does not explicitly rule out what we don't.

It's worth noting Frontier were telling people they had no plans for a console version of Planet Coaster as little as a few weeks prior to making the announcement, they also did the whole nothing to announce thing with Oculus Rift support in the base version of Elite until the last minute as they had to wait for Oculus to announce it.

The first statement may still be true but IMO the delay was mainly about buying them time to release on both last and current gen simultaneously.

Only time will tell.

Last edited:
I think you need to bear in mind the timing of the "no plans for development" statement. When this statement was made neither console was out yet. Frontier did have devkits for the new systems but these would have been tied up working on the Planet Coaster console launch which was due to release in November.

Please check the OP. They reiterated the "no plans" spiel at the end of November - after the Planet Coaster release and after the release of both current gen consoles.

Also it was ~5 months from announcement to release for Planet Coaster on PS5.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but there's been no signs to suggest "no plans" is no longer the strategy. Quite the opposite unfortunately.

And I've no axe to grind. I genuinely want a native PS5 version so I can buy Odyssey. I won't be buying it otherwise.

+ IMO the delay was mainly about buying time to finish the PC release, nothing more. After that they'll have the pet PC VR crowd to placate.

Last edited:
It's been almost 6 months since the PS5 release (174 days), so sure re: their statement mid last year, but enough time passed for a follow-up statement like "we're now looking into possibly maybe in the future supporting current gen consoles".

Saying nothing is still saying something, and frames it as they're not supporting ED on PS5.

What I mean to say is that when people are blaming consoles for holding a game back, they forget that Frontier still need to support PC's with hardware that is often below minimum console spec.
And it's always been a nonsensical argument because it ignores how scalable modern game engines are. It's just another example of fanboy thinking.

After that they'll have the pet PC VR crowd to placate.
What, both of them? :ROFLMAO:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
After all this time @boppa_ should know not to hold his breath. I did have a similar thought to be honest would we finally get some console news?

We might but, unfortunately I doubt we are going to get anything positive about current generation. Hope I am wrong.

unfortunately I doubt we are going to get anything positive about current generation
Sounds a lot like doom rather than a dispassionate assessment of what platforms Frontier are publishing on. Remember that they still haven't got back into the office, and therefore still don't know when their capacity will return to more "normal" levels.

Pulling builds down over home broadband for multiple platforms in a single project is much more laborious than working in the office. So it might well be that they need to get the last-gen out of the way first.

Whilst I am also desperate to get my hands on Odyssey, I'm not convinced that even the announced console ports will release on time. However, I would very much hope that we should be seeing some kind of announcement on the current gen in around 6 months time.

I don't have any confidence on Frontier publishing any information at this time.
I doubt Frontier will say anything regarding consoles for a couple of months.

• focus on PC launch at this time (May)
  • focus on post launch, critical patch fixes (June)
  • focus on console development (July) - nothing to share at this stage (the line will be 'we are still on track as per our previous commitments' in any YouTube / Twitch session)
  • console comms kicking in with Console launch trailer just ahead of the August GamesCon 2021

doom, dooom, dooooom !!!!

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Sounds a lot like doom rather than a dispassionate assessment of what platforms Frontier are publishing on. Remember that they still haven't got back into the office, and therefore still don't know when their capacity will return to more "normal" levels.

It's an 'opinion' Scoob, like most of this entire thread and just like your post about what and what are not FDevs remote working capabilities. They are releasing Odyssey on PC so they can't be that 'hobbled' from home working.

I just don't think FDev are going to do the extra work required for SX and PS5 and this will be left a backwards compatibility title going forward.

I reiterate, I hope I am wrong. I just can't see it happening at the moment.

Top Bottom