"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

Kicked into the long grass

They're going to concentrate on the PC build,I think that's the best thing for the game right now,I'd rather see it working on PC before it gets ported to consoles.

Word from DB himself too! Ah well Sir David, we'll always have Beagle Point...

ED_DB.jpg

So yeah doesnt sound good for consoles. Of course they could plop out Odyssey as an actual separate-to-download beta for anyone with an existing Elite account.

Then we'd be in the same state as PC players; they could get feedback on console performance (while dodging Sony certification); and let people try it out.

The problem being they couldnt really charge for it, and many potential sales would think "stuff this for a game of marbles" if things were really bad. Oh and it would take more than minimal effort on their part.

Last edited:
Word from DB himself too! Ah well Sir David, well always have Beagle Point...

View attachment 249664

So yeah doesnt sound good for consoles. Of course they could plop out Odyssey as an actual separate-to-download beta for anyone with an existing Elite account.

Then we'd be in the same state as PC players; they could get feedback on console performance (while dodging Sony certification); and let people try it out.

The problem being they couldnt really charge for it, and many potential sales would think " this for a game of marbles" if things were really bad. Oh and it would take more than minimal effort on their part.
That makes too much sense to be considered as a reality.

60994827.jpg

Kicked into the long grass

If only there were some new-gen consoles with more processing power that could run this … hey, we should start a thread about that …

Is the new Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PS4, or just PS5? I know I could google this, but it's as much as a point of conversation as it is a question.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Ratchet and Clank was the biggest selling game in the US in June. A PlayStation 5 only title. Clearly noone can get hold of these consoles.

Why would FDev be interested in native PS5 support for Odyssey? Makes zero sense to revitalise the game on console. Right? 😉

My biggest issue with the delaying the consoles release (which makes perfect sense) is by the time it comes out, there will be nothing new to see as the main 7 or 8 PC content creators will have covered, recovered and covered again in the Nth degree of detail anything Odyssey has to offer. So by the time we jump in game on console release day it will feel like its already old as the new feeling of discovery and wonder will have long since gone.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Interesting, Odyssey on PC is getting AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) support. This should technically be available on the new consoles. PS5 version coming? ;)

Hull Seals warning of dropping console operations if decline in player numbers continues.

Hull Seals Announcement.

In fact, this decrease in players has had a significant impact on the ability for the Seals to respond to requests for assistance - Not only has this reduction in players meant that there are fewer trained seals able to take the cases, spread across both the galaxy and the various time zones in which the Seals operate, there are fewer and fewer new seals being recruited and trained to take up the mantle. On console, this situation has become untenable. More than a dozen times in the last few months, a case has either needed to be turned down or diverted to a nearby carrier instead of dispatching a Seal to the client, because there were no seals in range at the time. This issue plagues all levels to a degree, but is notable with Consoles, particularly PlayStation.

This is the result of "no plans".

In fact, this decrease in players has had a significant impact on the ability for the Seals to respond to requests for assistance - Not only has this reduction in players meant that there are fewer trained seals able to take the cases, spread across both the galaxy and the various time zones in which the Seals operate, there are fewer and fewer new seals being recruited and trained to take up the mantle. On console, this situation has become untenable. More than a dozen times in the last few months, a case has either needed to be turned down or diverted to a nearby carrier instead of dispatching a Seal to the client, because there were no seals in range at the time. This issue plagues all levels to a degree, but is notable with Consoles, particularly PlayStation.

This is the result of "no plans".
I'd be very curious to see if the Fuel Rats are considering something similar.

I was this close to trying to join the Fuel Rats on PS4 (console commander only myself) but wasn't sure I could dedicate the time to really enjoy the community. That, and, S&R in Elite has always felt even more shallow than most of the game.

I uninstalled Elite after DB's latest announcement, but I hadn't played since February 2021, so...the game isn't "dead" on console, but it's definitely dying if only because players have no new content to work with. The game works just fine (I think, I heard EDO somehow jacked with Horizons even on console, dunno if true) but, ultimately, the playstation side of the galaxy just feels empty. I recall getting ganked at ShinDez once (In my Beluga Liner that was stripped at the time) in the last year of play.

Even the CGs were uncharacteristically calm. It was kind-of nice, actually (I support ganking but don't do it myself), just playing 'multiplayer' in Elite. But...it also spoke to how empty and tame the game had become. I had more fun with my engineered Adder being a goof than actually advancing my career in any way. Because, I mean, advancing career (credits, ranks, engineer)...it's all just grind with no real reward attached.

No story, no personal narrative, no earned cosmetics, nothing.

Played PC for a very long time until I got the PS4 and my PC died. I've come to the theory that console players aren't remotely as patient as PC players when it comes to content holes. That isn't to make some sort of snide "PC Master Race" joke, but to point out a key difference between the two markets. Accessing a fun game on console takes minutes at most and most fun games only take minutes to enjoy.

Elite absolutely wastes your time between supercruise and hyperspace travel, nevermind the many other ways you 'don't play' the game while playing. I love it for the immersion, to a point, but there has to be more to do or we'll just jump ship and play something else with a longer tail - a la NMS - or just hop into any other title. Serving console is tough, but boy are we desperate for more games like Elite, NMS, and SC. The genre is horrifically empty. It's a tremendous opportunity, one that DB himself pointed out to investors, but it's hard to make it a priority when you keep stepping on landmines of your own making.

I really want to see this game turn around, and voice my opinion here frequently as part of that effort, but to all console commanders:
  • If you are bored, stop playing. Uninstall. Say why in these forums.
  • Keep checking in. Remind them you do exist and you do want to play.
  • If you still enjoy the game as it is, that's great! Say so and say why. Just remember that those of us who quit didn't do so to jab the game or hurt it somehow. It doesn't mean you're a freak for playing anymore than we're idiots for not. It just highlights that Elite has a future on console if FDev would take it seriously.

10 million consoles sold now.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

10 million consoles sold now.

R&C has sold 1.1m copies in a month. Miles Morales is up to 6.5m.

There is clearly no market for an Odyssey push on PS5. 😟

Top Bottom