"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

Let's just spin that around.... one-third of the entire ED player base is console players. That surprised me, I assumed it would be less, at least that's the feeling I always had as a console player.
We'd guesstimated numbers in the past, like when the "My PS4 Life" let us get decent ranges of players, i think a previous financial report hinted at numbers too.

To add to what Boppa said, if consoles are 1/3rd of revenue, you'd think it's worth spending more resources on console-specific stuff: like community managers / CM engagement effort; developers for bug fixing; streams and give-aways, etc. Maybe not a third, but more than the PC-crumbs the last few years.

Youre incorrect on both parts, there are games such as warthunder, etc that have allowed manual detection and assignment of buttons/axis which makes using other sticks possible. So it is most certainly not a "sony" issue, and because of that point is relevant, as it is very much a factor in sales console side. Im hardly the first person or the last person who left, or is unwilling to comeback or spend any money until said issue is fixed ive talked with many people reddit side and discord about the subject. So theres that

Youre incorrect on both parts, there are games such as warthunder, etc that have allowed manual detection and assignment of buttons/axis which makes using other sticks possible. So it is most certainly not a "sony" issue, and because of that point is relevant, as it is very much a factor in sales console side. Im hardly the first person or the last person who left, or is unwilling to comeback or spend any money until said issue is fixed ive talked with many people reddit side and discord about the subject. So theres that

Can you please point me to something that shows HOTAS other than the licensed Tflight 4 and Hori HOTAS controllers working with war thunder on PS4/5? Interested to see. As far as I know it's not possible without a third party intermediate device mimicking a Dual Shock or Dual Sense controller (which isn't really usable, or what we're talking about here).

Frontier could do the same thing, in exactly the same way, by just allowing custom button/axis capture into the game, if warthunder got away with it for years, guaranteed frontier could do it too.

Someone even posted this to the threads laying down what buttons are what # or axis

Its only comical its map is an "elite dangerous" button mapping to use a t16000m for ps4 warthunder

Last edited:
If frontier would just copy warthunders mapping, kids like me would about it and come back and even probably buy odysee, but until then, thats on them

Last edited by a moderator:
they currently don't even allow more than one controller input method - it'll be interesting to see how they manage Odyssey; whether consoles get an option to use additional controllers, use headlook, even fully utilise mouse and keyboard. Other games, do it, like you say. I wasn't aware that HOTAS support could over-ridden by in-game mapping though. It just goes to show the controller support mechanism they have laid out is needlessly rigid.

100% thanks for being open to see it from the other side, but, i dont expect anyone to just take my word for it. Peeps who want to know can DL WT on ps4/5 and verify if they have a stick that isnt " officially supported". I do however find it sus, that certain individuals here shout down anyone asking for frontier to address this issue on consoles. Edit: that isnt directed at you Boppa

100% thanks for being open to see it from the other side, but, i dont expect anyone to just take my word for it. Peeps who want to know can DL WT on ps4/5 and verify if they have a stick that isnt " officially supported". I do however find it sus, that certain individuals here shout down anyone asking for frontier to address this issue on consoles. Edit: that isnt directed at you Boppa

Don't worry I know it wasn't directed my way :) Generally anything console specific in Dangerous Discussion seems to bring out the worst of the forum. Don't feed the trolls is my advice ;)

Man, why the constant "What the Game Looks Like" crap over & over again. I get it, that some of you are Otocu's, Neets, & Nerds, but the reason we whom remain in this community of Elite Dangerous play because we Love the Game. Little differences in color & clarity are minor. There are Bigger issues regarding Game Play, Story Line, and Mechanics of the game overall that make more sense to discuss and/or argue about.

Little differences in color & clarity are minor. There are Bigger issues regarding Game Play, Story Line, and Mechanics of the game overall that make more sense to discuss and/or argue about.

For me they are not little differences. The resolution downgrade the game takes on PS5 - compared to almost every other game I play on the PS5 - makes me want to switch if off as soon as I see it. In many cases, I do.

I guess you're of the opinion that feature additions and bug fixes should take priority over a native PS5 console port. Congratulations: they already are.

However, I consider an artificial 1080p resolution lock, on a 4K capable console, to be a bug.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Man, why the constant "What the Game Looks Like" crap over & over again. I get it, that some of you are Otocu's, Neets, & Nerds, but the reason we whom remain in this community of Elite Dangerous play because we Love the Game. Little differences in color & clarity are minor. There are Bigger issues regarding Game Play, Story Line, and Mechanics of the game overall that make more sense to discuss and/or argue about.
Disagree respectfully and luckily like me you don't speak for everyone in the community. IMO the PS5 deserves more. It looks great on my PC in comparison at a higher resolution. The whole point of me wanting a PS5 native version is to improve the visuals.

If that's something that doesn't interest you then fair enough. Many other threads on this forum exist but, this one is about wanting and discussing PS5 support.

Disagree respectfully and luckily like me you don't speak for everyone in the community. IMO the PS5 deserves more. It looks great on my PC in comparison at a higher resolution. The whole point of me wanting a PS5 native version is to improve the visuals.

If that's something that doesn't interest you then fair enough. Many other threads on this forum exist but, this one is about wanting and discussing PS5 support.
I logged on today (on PS5) for the first time in months … ran a few cargo missions and CZs for my Squadron … easing back in …

Probably my imagination but it seemed to look a little better than I remembered it … still noticeable “jump loading” textures on space stations, though … and the resolution just looks poor in comparison to the games I’ve been playing in my absence from Elite … I know it’s only the graphics but … isn’t that part of Elite? The awesome spaceships, the stunning planetscapes …

You’re absolutely correct: the PS5 deserve so much more!

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
There really is no market for a PS5 native version and a reinvigorated push from FDev to market Elite there.... Is there?

Deathloop takes No.1 in dominant week for PS5 | UK Boxed Charts​

Overall, it was a big week for PS5, driven by an influx of new hardware coming to retailers. Spider-Man: Miles Morales jumped 223% in sales, rising from No.13 to No.2. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart re-entered the charts at No.4 after a 630% sales spike, while Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut is up 13 places to No.6 after a 233% sales rise.

Top Bottom