No sound in ED through rift

Hi,

Decided to dust of ED a Little in preparation to 3.0.

Rift set do default in playback - check
Sound working with Subnuatica - check
Starting ED through launcher - No sound in game
HMD headphones set in ED 3d options - check

Why is sound not working in ED but in Subnautica??

Do you have another headset plugged in anywhere? If you do, try unplugging it, worked for me. Even though my Rift was set to the default audio device in Windows, having another headset in confused the system for some reason.

Nothing helps.

When ed starts it Cuts the audio from windows also. No audio works through rift. When I quit ed it works again.

LAst time I played some half year back it worked without issue.

Now after Rift and Ed updates it does not work.

Have you set the rift audio to the default audio in Windows settings?

This is the only way I have been able to direct audio to different streams.

RIF. Sorry.

My suggestion is to grab VoiceMeeter...and see what your audio streams are actually doing.

Last edited:
Have you set the rift audio to the default audio in Windows settings?

This is the only way I have been able to direct audio to different streams.

Yep. When ED loads it Cuts audio to rift. Quit ED it works in windows again.

Last edited:
Since Subnautica is working and it is bought in rift store. ED is the separate launcher outside rift. Could there be something with that?
The rift demoscene is also working

SOund works when launching elite up until the wings logo comes on screen in VR then it Cuts out.

Last edited:
It has worked Before flawlessly. I have tried all setting :)

Nothing works.

Since Subnautica launched from Oculus library(Rift launcher) does work and Elite does not work because it has external launcher

What the heck, I cant be the only one!

Yup playes through speaker. But mirroring does not go to the rift phones.
Subnautica works perfectly though :)

I can play the device test tune when launching Elite up until the wings logo comes on screen then it Cuts all audio to Rift. Even windows audio

Verify that the volume/sound settings on windows toolbar is set to rift. For some reason E.D no longer changes this setting automatically

This ^^^

Usually the culprit. Click on the speaker in the Win 10 taskbar. It should show all audio outputs. Make sure Rift Audio is selected.

Alternatively, open the audio settings in the control panel and make sure Rift headset is the default device.

If these don't work, then stumped sorry.

As others have said make sure windows has the Rift as default audio device but just one other thing you could try after running ED try going back into Oculus home and check their Audio settings have not reset to mute.
I say this because even after I set Rift to windows audio default one day I did once experience your problem and after trying everything I eventually found for some strange reason Oculus home was sent to mute after Ed launched.
However this was only a one-off to me so it was just a freak thing that happened but you never know it may be happening to you also.

Last edited:
This ^^^

Usually the culprit. Click on the speaker in the Win 10 taskbar. It should show all audio outputs. Make sure Rift Audio is selected.

Alternatively, open the audio settings in the control panel and make sure Rift headset is the default device.

If these don't work, then stumped sorry.

Checked and it is correct. Thanks,

As others have said make sure windows has the Rift as default audio device but just one other thing you could try after running ED try going back into Oculus home and check their Audio settings have not reset to mute.
I say this because even after I set Rift to windows audio default one day I did once experience your problem and after trying everything I eventually found for some strange reason Oculus home was sent to mute after Ed launched.
However this was only a one-off to me so it was just a freak thing that happened but you never know it may be happening to you also.

That I have not checked. Will do. Thanks

This is exactly the problem I have. The sound cuts out during the loading logo screen in exactly the same point every time. All other Oculus games work perfectly. I can still mirror the sound to my normal speakers if I want to, but the headset is silent. Did this get resolved?

Yes. Set sound quality in windows sound properties to cd quality instead of dvd. Solved it :)

For anyone else experiencing this issue, what @Kiaro said fixed it for me too. Must've spent an hour trying to figure out how to get sound working.

Glad it was this simple in the end!

Top Bottom