Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Right so here im gonna outline why asking for sace legs is ultimatley a pointless excersize.

Space legs would require some technical hurdles that I can't see realistically solved anytime soon,inluding a new game engine bolted into the pre existing one, a whole new physics model and new control schemes and interactable content. These are VERY major hurdles in game design. but thats not really the issue here.

The issue is that so many people are SO vocal about it that the Devs might actualy consider it. But oh thats where things get dark...

The community seems to think (delusion) that those cinematic shorts give clues to space legs, without really putting a thought to just how long it would take to do it properly, and how long it would take in implement content within that sphere that is engaging past walking around your ship or the docks. I would much rather they fix things ike the basic stability and core game mechanics LONG before space legs.

My worry, and its quite a justified one, is that FDev do decide to implement it quickly, just off the back of an overly vocal community, that lets face it, are constantly harping on about it, and then, much like multicrew, im worried It ends up being a mess that everyone whinges about, then ignores. Because people we're so focused on having it NOW. Which is the general undertone i get from EVERY SINGLE one of those posts.

Hence why i beleive at this point it is wasted development time at this point and would much ratter see FDev put thier time into making the bit we have more playable isntead of adding more buggy and vapid gameplay just to appease the community. That seems kinda stupid IMO.

Last edited:
I will just correct you on some things

Space legs would require some technical hurdles that I can't see realistically solved anytime soon,inluding a new game engine bolted into the pre existing one, a whole new physics model and new control schemes and interactable content. These are VERY major hurdles in game design. but thats not really the issue here.

No new engine required. COBRA framework and graphics engine built for ED will be able to do it just fine. They have capable people to do what's required to extend it.

No new physics model. There's already physics in this game and they apply to player avatar sitting in chair already.

Content - yes, I can agree on that one. However most of it will be extended from current content.

So still a lot of work - mostly on content - but not as much as you would think.

However I think there's evidence that FD won't do space legs because there's loud demands on Internet. They will do them when they think they can and they have all pieces to do it.

We don't know when, but space legs will come. Deal with it.

This thread is like saying "No to atmospherics" or "No to future content".

Is there an expectation that SL's should work with a HOTAS? I don't see that as enjoyable at all. With that notion would I be required to push my HOTAS aside to make room for a keyboard when I go into SL mode? Please, if SL's do happen, don't make it necessary to use a mouse. I have a physical disability that makes using a mouse for gaming nothing but a chore.

If SL's were to come out as a stand alone piece of DLC, it would go un-purchased by me.

Yeah, gas giant skimming and lifeless atmospherics would enable us to explore 99% of planets. So yeah spacelegs are not really that much for horizon expanding.

Right so here im gonna outline why asking for sace legs is ultimatley a pointless excersize.

The issue is that so many people are SO vocal about it that the Devs might actualy consider it. But oh thats where things get dark...

The community seems to think (delusion) that those cinematic shorts give clues to space legs, without really putting a thought to just how long it would take to do it properly, and how long it would take in implement content within that sphere that is engaging past walking around your ship or the docks. I would much rather they fix things ike the basic stability and core game mechanics LONG before space legs.

My worry, and its quite a justified one, is that FDev do decide to implement it quickly, just off the back of an overly vocal community, that lets face it, are constantly harping on about it, and then, much like multicrew, im worried It ends up being a mess that everyone whinges about, then ignores. Because people we're so focused on having it NOW. Which is the general undertone i get from EVERY SINGLE one of those posts.

Hence why i beleive at this point it is wasted development time at this point and would much ratter see FDev put thier time into making the bit we have more playable isntead of adding more buggy and vapid gameplay just to appease the community. That seems kinda stupid IMO.

Powerplay and CQC were wasted developer time.

Space legs could become very cool with a couple of enhancements of the current gameplay (I just say "Citadel" from Mass Effect, not to mention all the possibilities when it comes to entering ground based stations, gathering materials, leaving the ship for repairs and thousands of other cool ideas).

A straight "No to Spacelegs" certainly doesnt help to develop cool ideas. And a "fix" of core gameplay could also involve space legs.

Is there an expectation that SL's should work with a HOTAS? I don't see that as enjoyable at all. With that notion would I be required to push my HOTAS aside to make room for a keyboard when I go into SL mode?
Didn't even consider that, excellent point. I'd need to get out of me comfy chair which has the HOTAS bolted to it.

Sure it would add to the immersion that you have to get up to get up, but it ignores the harsh reality I'm a lazy sod.

I think OP is saying, despite the title, "don't do Legs if you can't do it well." I believe that is the reason why we haven't had Legs to date, but the time must come when this becomes inevitable. We've seen some remarkable teases/reveals that we didn't expect, that indicate FD is a lot further than some people think.

Legs are coming ... sooner than you think ;)

And it won't be at the expense of Atmospheres.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
No to more threads on this subject.

Use one of the existing ones please.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom