No urgency

Seems console players are on the back burner when comes to issues related to Elite.
Although I believe that since I have to pay my playstation plus dues to play, that Frontier gets a kickback from that? Am I wrong? Not sure of this but if so than a little more urgency is due. Please correct me if im wrong.

i'd be highly surprised if Frontier gets anything from PSN fees*. You pay for the ecosystem, which includes things like security, data transmission and storage and so on.
*Monthly games featured on PS Plus may get money from Sony, but it's case-by-case depending on promotion.

The delay between PC and console patches comes from the protectionism of consoles.
PC can patch, mess things up badly, and repatch the same day. Yes it allows quick turn around, but also no need (except like professionalism :rolleyes: ) to do robust patching.
Consoles (both MS and Sony) want to do additional checks when a dev/pub wants to patch a game. This includes things like not skimming personal data, checking for virus', wont crash the console (handle/mem leaks etc). They can't ensure the patch doesnt break the game more, but moreso to make sure the ecosystem remains robust, and the game doesnt leak out elsewhere.
As a side effect it makes them not submit "maybe it'll fix things" patches, due to the delay and submission cost.

Pros and cons to both ways IMO, and the best way for multiplatform games is often for the PC patches to essentially be beta-testing for consoles, and then a bundle-patch (of 1 or more PC patches) gets pushed to consoles, which is known to be more stable.
Of course this doesn't work if everyone needs to have the same features at once, like Arx or BGS changes.

...and saying all that ^^^ yes consoles are on the back-burner for Elite.
Minor console specific issues get ignored unless they also impact PC users, or are fundamentally game breaking (how long did it take for the console SRV bug to get fixed!), and since Ed left it feels like we're all but ignored by the CMs, again unless something forces their hand to acknowledge.
But i'm not salty, as the game is mostly stable, and developing for PC and sprinkling down is generally fine.

I'd love to see the stats on lower-spec PCs (I used to play it on an absolute min-spec - integrated graphics card PC), as the "consoles hold the game back" is probably only true to a certain point, when a fraction of PCs are only the mega-beasts some like to promote as the norm. The interesting thing will be when PS5 / XboxSX plop out, and are undeniably better than the min PC specs.

tl;dr
Yes.
No.
Yes, you're wrong.

EDIT: clarifications

Last edited:
i'd be highly surprised if Frontier gets anything from PSN fees*. You pay for the ecosystem, which includes things like security, data transmission and storage and so on.
*Monthly games featured on PS Plus may get money from Sony, but it's case-by-case depending on promotion.

The delay between PC and console patches comes from the protectionism of consoles.
PC can patch, mess things up badly, and repatch the same day. Yes it allows quick turn around, but also no need (except like professionalism :rolleyes: ) to do robust patching.
Consoles (both MS and Sony) want to do additional checks when a dev/pub wants to patch a game. This includes things like not skimming personal data, checking for virus', wont crash the console (handle/mem leaks etc). They can't ensure the patch doesnt break the game more, but moreso to make sure the ecosystem remains robust, and the game doesnt leak out elsewhere.
As a side effect it makes them not submit "maybe it'll fix things" patches, due to the delay and submission cost.

Pros and cons to both ways IMO, and the best way for multiplatform games is often for the PC patches to essentially be beta-testing for consoles, and then a bundle-patch (of 1 or more PC patches) gets pushed to consoles, which is known to be more stable.
Of course this doesn't work if everyone needs to have the same features at once, like Arx or BGS changes.

...and saying all that ^^^ yes consoles are on the back-burner for Elite.
Minor console specific issues get ignored unless they also impact PC users, or are fundamentally game breaking (how long did it take for the console SRV bug to get fixed!), and since Ed left it feels like we're all but ignored by the CMs, again unless something forces their hand to acknowledge.
But i'm not salty, as the game is mostly stable, and developing for PC and sprinkling down is generally fine.

I'd love to see the stats on lower-spec PCs (I used to play it on an absolute min-spec - integrated graphics card PC), as the "consoles hold the game back" is probably only true to a certain point, when a fraction of PCs are only the mega-beasts some like to promote as the norm. The interesting thing will be when PS5 / XboxSX plop out, and are undeniably better than the min PC specs.

tl;dr
Yes.
No.
Yes, you're wrong.

EDIT: clarifications
I'm not positive, but I wouldn't be surprised if MS/Sony charge devs for emergency patches so most of them probably go the cheap route. 🤑

But i'm not salty, as the game is mostly stable,

I play on xb1s and since last december on pc too.
The game is really stable on pc. (at least on my pc - a new laptop purchased last october)
On xb not so much.
My xb playing experience includes: Crashes to home (no error), sound loops followed by crashes to home, sound distortion and general stuttering when doing gameplay that involves lots of supercruise/docking - that is running missions. Most of the time after 2-3 hours i have to restart the game because getting through yields annoying sound distortion and if i keep playing it will crash anyways.

In my speculative opinion, Frontier had a very dedicated and talented team to bring ED to the PS4, and then once they felt ED was stable enough, they dissolved that team to move those employees to other projects like JWE and later PZ. When ED first released on PS4, it was amazing IMO. Then the major updates came and slowly began to degrade the quality of game (minecraft textures, elephant butt leather, etc).

When it became obvious that "This is the way," I just gave up and switched to PC. Considering how many other people have done the same, breaking ED on console is a smart business move for Frontier, as many of us have now paid twice for the game and certain cosmetics. Yes, I know, I'm an idiot. At least I got my PC copy on sale!

I am really torn on this one. The PS4 offering was amazing at day 1 in comparison to everything that Sony had done to date.
Then over time, as more things got added, it got slightly clunkier - bit by bit.

I look at the power PCs that are around now and the experience of VR (thanks to trialing it at FX17 and ECM) and wonder whether it is worth moving across.

I am 21% away from triple Elite so will continue until then and then have a long hard think about it.

Thx for input, hoping gets better soon, will not change to PC cause I started on console so will stick to it. Do love the game I must say, and have too much time invested in it so fingers crossed. Have fun in the black

I started on PC (triple Elite on both platforms), and moved to PS4 when it launched as i'm mostly a console gamer, and where all my friends play.
The 2020 update, PS5 support (PS4 cmdr transfer), and PSVR(2) support will decide if i swap to PC or not.

Wait 'n see.

Last edited:
I used to be a PC gamer many years ago, but switched solely to PS after I decided PC gaming was too expensive to keep upgrading plus lots of hassle with drivers etc...

So whilst I would be very tempted to switch to PC (better graphics/framerates etc...) I don't really have the spare time or money. I will wait to see what the 'new era' on PS5 looks like.

I am even happy to start a new CMDR then as the early days whilst working your way up the ship/money tree were some of the most enjoyable I have had in Elite Dangerous. I do think it is maybe a little too easy to make money now.

Seems console players are on the back burner when comes to issues related to Elite.
Although I believe that since I have to pay my playstation plus dues to play, that Frontier gets a kickback from that? Am I wrong? Not sure of this but if so than a little more urgency is due. Please correct me if im wrong.
Everything goes thru Sony's and MS's QA and vetting, thats why its slow. Don't blame FD. There's no "kickback"

I am really torn on this one. The PS4 offering was amazing at day 1 in comparison to everything that Sony had done to date.
Then over time, as more things got added, it got slightly clunkier - bit by bit.

I look at the power PCs that are around now and the experience of VR (thanks to trialing it at FX17 and ECM) and wonder whether it is worth moving across.

I am 21% away from triple Elite so will continue until then and then have a long hard think about it.
<whispers> come over Snowy, you know you want to

I’m going to stick to the console version of ELITE. I gave up a few years back on PC gaming. Partly as my PC is now officially into its 11th year. But mostly due to the investment costs, the minute you leave that store with that PC, it’s outdated.

The last PC game I bought was Skyrim. Which I heavily modded and had a great time with.

I find, for me at least on console I can just pick up the game I want, and play almost immediately without worrying about framerate, or any other specific PC related bottleneck, upgrades are expensive.

I will one day re-invest in a new computer and maybe get back to PC Gaming. But the time isn’t right for me, so PS4 for now, PS5 when it drops.

Top Bottom