No water rides (log flume, rafts, etc) at launch?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm really glad to see that Planet Coaster at least gives us all the basic rides from real theme parks. Rapids and log fumes will do it for me.

Please don't celebrate yet as they have neither confirmed nor denied that those will be the water rides they were referring to.
For all we know they could be talking about row boats.

Please don't celebrate yet as they have neither confirmed nor denied that those will be the water rides they were referring to.
For all we know they could be talking about row boats.

I'd take that as just about acceptable in the very beginning. So long as I know they're really working on proper water rides (which they have confirmed). Obviously, I think we'd all feel better accommodated by this game if they gave us just a basic flume though.

But in the Q&A just now they said some stuff about coasters that alone is exciting enough for me to be in a very good mood right now :)

I'm now at the stage of thinking, I don;t have to worry that much about UGC or water rides etc. They have said enough in Q&A sessions to make it abundantly clear they're researching and looking at all the stuff we want. And they move fast, so even if it's not in the initial release, I don't think it'll be too long. And to be honest I now know they're working on stuff I would love that I hadn't thought of at all.

I'd take that as just about acceptable in the very beginning. So long as I know they're really working on proper water rides (which they have confirmed). Obviously, I think we'd all feel better accommodated by this game if they gave us just a basic flume though.

But in the Q&A just now they said some stuff about coasters that alone is exciting enough for me to be in a very good mood right now :)

I'm now at the stage of thinking, I don;t have to worry that much about UGC or water rides etc. They have said enough in Q&A sessions to make it abundantly clear they're researching and looking at all the stuff we want. And they move fast, so even if it's not in the initial release, I don't think it'll be too long. And to be honest I now know they're working on stuff I would love that I hadn't thought of at all.

This. Plus there's still 6-10 months of development time left; I have no doubt that this will be a complete game by the time it's released.

Frontier does not do things halfheartedly- not that many of us will even notice.

As for the Q&A, that was probably a CHC thing...so I can't comment on that- but I'm confident that they'll deliver.

This. Plus there's still 6-10 months of development time left; I have no doubt that this will be a complete game by the time it's released.

Stop making me more excited for this game [tongue][mouth shut][squeeeeee]

Frontier does not do things halfheartedly- not that many of us will even notice.

As for the Q&A, that was probably a CHC thing...so I can't comment on that- but I'm confident that they'll deliver.

You're right, when Frontier sets out to do something, they really go all for it. I'm looking forward to what they're going to do and just how impressed the community will be from their final work.

Exactly Deuce, I am with you on what you said. From what Sam mentioned about coasters and water rides and even dark rides, we know that we are in for some really good additions eventually. So whatever we get at Early Access, we will have enough content to keep us amused until more stuff comes on the scene. This is going to be one hell of a great game by the time it reaches final release and even then, we can look forward to more development during 2017 and beyond.

I decided to leave those lake ride out because the majority of the people complaining are not referring to that ride and it's variations....not sure how I forgot the rapids ride though...
but this is the raft ride---which was actually in an expansion pack:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...T1_Icon.png/revision/latest?cb=20141029212409

That's not exactly true....Both variations are still being used...but the non/less-"realistic" one, as you put it, is actually far more common than the original- high maintenance- one, so I believe that that one is more likely to be used. It's cheaper, has a smaller footprint and a few of them are actually well themed like:
Jurassic Park Rapid Adventures (2010)- a river rapids variation of the states version- takes up less room
Grizzly River Run (2001) -Based on the images that have been reveal, it looks like this ride is going to be re-themed
for Disneyland Shanghai
Shipwreck Rapids (1999) -Average theming

In reality, the one from RCT1 and RCT3 Vanilla its not prevalent (I dont think its even in used outside fairs, as its one that you build and then disassemble when the fair closes and need to go to another town) and what you think that uses it (the 3 examples you posted) are in reality the Soaked one (the problem with the soaked is was that it was automatically themed to aztec/atlantean theming, instead of being generic). The most popular rapid rides that you can see in the majority of theme parks are the Intamin River Rapids (or Hafema or Hopkins), but all three follow the same distinct pattern, you buy the simple narrow track and then ask for an array of options (circular station instead of straight long, big curves, big curves with drops, wider parts of the track, shoot the chute elements, whirlpools, etc...) to include in that track. So the diffrence between RCT1 and RCT Soaked is not that one is themed and the other is not, but the elements that they use. RCT1 has very simple (and horribly done) elements, no width change (not only that, but they dont move and inch) and no big turns whats so ever, while soaked has every element (besides the circular station) that Intamin, Hafema and Hopkins give as options when you ask for a river rapids ride from them. Of the 3 examples you posted JP River Rapids is Hafema (uses the same width for the whole track, but has enough space for the gondola to move during the rapids section), while GRR and Shipwreck Rapids are Intamin, and both of them have the more adavanced elements from the Soaked version (never been to Shipwreck, but saw some photos and videos of it, but Ive been to GRR ad DCA and I can confirm it has a very nice turn with drop apart from wider parts).
Just a few more examples that Ive been, there are 3 big theme parks in Spain and two, Port Aventura and Terra Mitica, use Intamin rapids (with varying widths and circular stations) and the other, Warner Bros Park, uses the Hafema Rapids (same as JP River Rapids but with Looney Tunes theming).

If it was me, I wouldnt even add the RCT1 rapids, because its not even used on theme parks (and even on fairs, they prefer to have some simple log flume than a rapids ride, as they are cheaper and more visually attracting for riders). The Intamin rapids is the version they need to include. I really hope they do it generic this time, and let you decorate it with scenery.

BTW This is the river rapids that appear in RCT1, RCT2 and RCT3 Vanilla, so you can see the actual difference from the ones you posted:
Looking+down+on+Mellors+Wild+Mouse+and+River+Rapids.jpg

Last edited:
I would rather wait and get a better White Water Rapids ride, like from RCT3 Soaked, but with more obsticles and stuff.

In reality, the one from RCT1 and RCT3 Vanilla its not prevalent (I dont think its even in used outside fairs, as its one that you build and then disassemble when the fair closes and need to go to another town) and what you think that uses it (the 3 examples you posted) are in reality the Soaked one (the problem with the soaked is was that it was automatically themed to aztec/atlantean theming, instead of being generic). The most popular rapid rides that you can see in the majority of theme parks are the Intamin River Rapids (or Hafema or Hopkins), but all three follow the same distinct pattern, you buy the simple narrow track and then ask for an array of options (circular station instead of straight long, big curves, big curves with drops, wider parts of the track, shoot the chute elements, whirlpools, etc...) to include in that track. So the diffrence between RCT1 and RCT Soaked is not that one is themed and the other is not, but the elements that they use. RCT1 has very simple (and horribly done) elements, no width change (not only that, but they dont move and inch) and no big turns whats so ever, while soaked has every element (besides the circular station) that Intamin, Hafema and Hopkins give as options when you ask for a river rapids ride from them. Of the 3 examples you posted JP River Rapids is Hafema (uses the same width for the whole track, but has enough space for the gondola to move during the rapids section), while GRR and Shipwreck Rapids are Intamin, and both of them have the more adavanced elements from the Soaked version (never been to Shipwreck, but saw some photos and videos of it, but Ive been to GRR ad DCA and I can confirm it has a very nice turn with drop apart from wider parts).
Just a few more examples that Ive been, there are 3 big theme parks in Spain and two, Port Aventura and Terra Mitica, use Intamin rapids (with varying widths and circular stations) and the other, Warner Bros Park, uses the Hafema Rapids (same as JP River Rapids but with Looney Tunes theming).

If it was me, I wouldnt even add the RCT1 rapids, because its not even used on theme parks (and even on fairs, they prefer to have some simple log flume than a rapids ride, as they are cheaper and more visually attracting for riders). The Intamin rapids is the version they need to include. I really hope they do it generic this time, and let you decorate it with scenery.

BTW This is the river rapids that appear in RCT1, RCT2 and RCT3 Vanilla, so you can see the actual difference from the ones you posted:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YaTSYN6UR...wn+on+Mellors+Wild+Mouse+and+River+Rapids.jpg

Wowwww!!! That's pictures of my local fair here in Stamford! It's the mid-lent fair, amazingly the fair has been running for over 1000 years on the same dates, same place (probably didn't have amusement 'rides' 1000 years ago lol.

That must have been taken before I moved here though. I don't remember the rapids. They still have the mouse though, and occasionally another travelling coaster too. The fair itself is actually 3 travelling fairs that meet here once a year, around 60 major attractions and about 100 in total. They line the ancient streets of the town, it's very impressive!

Last edited:
I would rather wait and get a better White Water Rapids ride, like from RCT3 Soaked, but with more obsticles and stuff.
Same! I hate how that Rabbit's looks. RCT3 Soaked has the Rabbit's that I want. [up] (I say Rabbit's because is sounds awesome!)

I suppose that you can argue that it's a mixture of both because of the turns...that's about it- but then again....rct1/2 made several other concessions. All the rides and coaster creator are/were pretty simplistic- it was always more of an amusement park management game than anything else.

If you google the others and compare them Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges and Kali river rapids you'll see the difference and how much more those resemble RCT3's Soaked "White Water Rapids" ride than the others.
as for the fair ride....even that one has large turns... and bends...

Same here. Ive really hated the fairground one since RCT1, and was gald that the one in Soaked finally appeared. I remember trying to do real life recreations of theme park river rapids with the fairground one and *shudders*

Wowwww!!! That's pictures of my local fair here in Stamford! It's the mid-lent fair, amazingly the fair has been running for over 1000 years on the same dates, same place (probably didn't have amusement 'rides' 1000 years ago lol.

That must have been taken before I moved here though. I don't remember the rapids. They still have the mouse though, and occasionally another travelling coaster too. The fair itself is actually 3 travelling fairs that meet here once a year, around 60 major attractions and about 100 in total. They line the ancient streets of the town, it's very impressive!
Wow, super interesting. I suppose it was somethign like a medieval carnival 1000 years ago.
BTW love your new avatar.

I suppose that you can argue that it's a mixture of both because of the turns...that's about it- but then again....rct1/2 made several other concessions. All the rides and coaster creator are/were pretty simplistic- it was always more of an amusement park management game than anything else.

If you google the others and compare them Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges and Kali river rapids you'll see the difference and how much more those resemble RCT3's Soaked "White Water Rapids" ride than the others.
as for the fair ride....even that one has large turns... and bends...

The white water rapids type of ride on theme parks (Intamin, Hafema and Hopkins) has a key difference, it can move side ways on the track and hit from side to side to create a rocking movement, even on its thinnest part (the one that uses JP River Rapids or the ACME Factory). The fairground version doesnt, it only goes down the river flow and only turns around because of turns and drops on the track.
The RCT1, RCT2 and RCT3 Vanilla water rapids uses exactly the same system, it never rocks around hitting the sides of the track, it stays on a straight line all the way until the end. The white water rapids in Soaked though, even on its thinest part, do rock around from side to side.
Could this ride have been done better (for example using existing bodies of water to put a rail track), of course (water rides is one of the aspects that could be greatly improved in Planet Coaster). And the aztec theming really makes it look like one trick pony (although people cleverly have used custom scenery rocks to make the ride the theming they want), but its basically the intamin, hafema and hopkins versions and a great step in the right direction to get the real version of the ride in Planet Coaster.

Wow, super interesting. I suppose it was somethign like a medieval carnival 1000 years ago.
BTW love your new avatar.

'The Deuce'. Its actually the logo of the Deuce Transit system in Vegas. I have a ticket that actually says 'ticket to ride the Deuce', people always laugh at that, but I don't understand why... [sad]

Yea medieval back in... er... medieval times I guess! But these days, it's all about hot-dogs and kids screaming :)

The only issue I noticed with the WWR from Soaked, is that there was not enough special pieces. Only 3 that I noticed.

Last edited:
A handful of water rides will be fine by me, loved the Log Flume from previous games. I'm really hoping we can cut the terrain to create our own white water rapids with some obstacles/ride events that can be placed along its path. Regardless, Frontier being Frontier it will be awesome. [wink]

Wow....did not remember the RCT3 version being that bad- but I was never much of a fan of that sequel anyways. RCT1+2(vanilla) all the way.
The level of realism dropped tremendously..... I can barely notice the rapids... it really does look like a cheap fairground version..
Rapids.png

Still, can't say that about RCT1 and 2's:
scr39_36.bmp

chi26901LARGE.jpg
'
Narrow channels.

The only issue I noticed with the WWR from Soaked, is that there was not enough special pieces. Only 3 that I noticed.

Both rapids rides only had 3 special pieces. whirlpool/rapids/waterfall for the standard and a rock arch, rock debris and waterfall features for the soaked one.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom