NO2O! The Definitive List of 1.7/2.2-Compatible HUD Colour/Color Configs (please add yours!)

What is interesting about color is that over 50% of men have blue as their favorite color.
Orange is also one of the most disliked colors for both men and women, however, the older people get, the more they seem to dislike orange.

With all the old forum dads playing this game, it's a good thing one can change the default HUD colors xD

Here's my HUD. For purple lovers. The NPC faces are bearable and only suffer a little tinting.

I have to say this is the most contentious one so far :D I had a few mins to test it out, and while the pictures are fairly tinted compared to any of the others so far, I'd prefer to err on the side of covering more options and let the user decide if it's too much for them. I grabbed a few extra screenshots of the Mission Board and included them for that reason. Thanks for including lots of pics and vids too. It's certainly not without its charm. I love the colours in the menus!

The NPC pictures look normal to me with my scheme.

Thanks for the update. I've included this one now too. So vibrant!

What is interesting about color is that over 50% of men have blue as their favorite color.
Orange is also one of the most disliked colors for both men and women, however, the older people get, the more they seem to dislike orange.

With all the old forum dads playing this game, it's a good thing one can change the default HUD colors xD

Tch! Someone cut me a switch so I can teach this whipper-snapper a lesson in respect for their elders! [mad] :D

I was also thinking it was interesting how blue is so dominant so far! Interesting info. I think my disliking stems largely from going from the orange to something nicer and then back in terms of this game. Generally, I find orange to be a very nice and stimulating colour.

Fun fact: Orange rhymes with Blorenge, which is a hill in Wales. [wacky]

Great thread, great initiative.
I found my way here from Obsidian Ants latest video. (https://youtu.be/O5ca3Eb-a54)
Normally I use the default orange, not by choice, but because I like to see reds as red, white as white and greens as green on the radar.
I want to be able to the difference between enemies and allies.
When I don the HMD, I go green:
<MatrixRed> 0.18, 0, -1 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen>-1, 1, -1 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.15, 0.32, 1 </MatrixBlue>
When playing on the monitor, I would prefer to use blue HUD, to match the LEDs on my desk and sometimes the interior of Empire Ships,
but I lose the neccesary colours, so I really don't bother with it.
On a YouTube stream a while back, David Braben mentioned that there are no plans from Frontier to change HUD colours,
as there is a way the community is already modding the HUD and that is good enough.
I really hope that changes, so we can change our HUDs from within the game, without messing around in the config files and retain the
important colours in their default state.
Good on you OP for kicking off this initiative, I hope the Forum gets behind this and brings the importance of it to the developers attention.

Last edited:
Got my own kinda Redish HUD setup, it works well when you use a combat ship, nice red tinge to everything

No issues with the Mission Boards.

HUD and Side Panels look decent:
0gAUtfJ.jpg

uXZwxDB.jpg

For Radar:
Friendly/Allied = Turquoise
Neutral = Pinky Red (same as HUD colour)
Enemy/Hostile = Dark Red (Easy to distinguish)

<MatrixRed> 1, 0, 0.07 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 1 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0, 1, 0 </MatrixBlue>

Last edited:
Awesome Thread!

I have adamantly disliked the orange HUD sense I first started ED. I recall think "Who would pick orange for the stock color?". Heck, My Daughter picked orange for her room color when she was SIX! That should tell you something about that color.

You see, I spent an number of year in the graphics arts trade, mostly screen printing. Sense then, I think orange only belongs in nature. Things like fruit, or in a sunrise or sunset, and in the dying flames of a camp fire after an awesome day of doing campy stuff. Man made orange is an evil, insipid color that should only be used in extreme cases.

As I'm at work, I can't post my HUD colors, but it really ain't much different then some of the blue ones already posted. And for a very short synopsis on the virtues of blue. It's opposite of that evil orange on the color wheel. There for the opposite of evil!:D

LLaP

S1E

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I stopped modifying the HUD a while back, partly because I was submitting video bug reports and fearful that FD would do what a lot of developers do and wash their hands of responsibility the moment they spot a modification (thankfully an unfounded fear; FD are great in this regard) but also because I couldn't ever find a colour scheme that didn't lose more than it gained in clarity.

But Mordu's white/greyscale theme is really pleasing to the eye and I think I might be using that for some time to come. I'm mostly exploring at the moment so I guess the real test will come when I have to engage in combat and try to figure out who's who on the scanner, but for now this is definitely my HUD du jour. Thanks!

I've been posting for ten years now explaining how the orange burns my eyes !
Flimley.

Sorry man, didn't mean to skip over this post, just missed it while updating. I feel ya.

Sure thing! I'll be able to update the screen shots in about 5 or 6 hours.

Cheers for doing that matey [up]

Great thread, great initiative.

Thanks for the support and the submission! It really pains me to do this, but I don't think I can accept this one, as there's some harsh banding issues that clip out a lot of the detail in some conditions. I've added some screenshots so you can see, and if anyone's ok with it, they can still go with it, cos in every other way it's a lovely scheme. Very nice vibrant green that looks great in the darkness of space!

Stylistically, it kind of looks like an old LCD display, and for that reason it could still be acceptable. I'd value opinions from you guys on this one, because I'm torn.

JN9obdw.jpg

rwSdBxi.jpg

ztxf0P3.jpg

Got my own kinda Redish HUD setup, it works well when you use a combat ship, nice red tinge to everything

Cheers for this one! I added a couple more screenshots showing the Mission Board as well.

Awesome Thread!

Haha :D cheers. That's a nice perspective about orange in nature that I'd not considered before. The idea of an orange bedroom does sound pretty ghastly. I do find that orange and blue contrast either really nicely or really badly, again depending on context. Jaffa cakes spring to mind.

I would like to add that I hugely admire all the artists and their work on this game. I appreciate that it's probably no small task to add proper colour options into the game due to how the entire UI is built and whatnot. I don't doubt they know it's a popular request. Part of the idea behind this thread was really to attempt to workaround the current limitations as much as possible in the interim. A community that helps itself is better than..... I don't know, a community that smelts itself. Couldn't think of a good rhyme.

If you have time, it could still be worth sharing your config if it differs from the others. More options is good options.

Edit:
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I stopped modifying the HUD a while back...

But Mordu's white/greyscale theme is really pleasing to the eye and I think I might be using that for some time to come. ... Thanks!

Awesome! That just made this whole thread worthwhile. [up][up]

Last edited:
An oldie, but a goodie.

"Deus Ex Mint-Mocha"
Yep, that's the best name I could think up for this one. It looked more mocha-y about halfway through, but had to sacrifice some of the brown to the contrast gods. That web script is extremely useful, I doubt we'd have this much precision over the colours if we had official sliders.

Friendlies look minty, enemies look sort of burnt orange and the shields & UI background are sort of deep indigo.

cudbll2qb904kux8s.jpg

Services menu & galaxy map:
cudblqpyjfdq0fpos.jpg

cudblww6waoviikss.jpg

<MatrixRed> 0.7, 0.08, -0.08 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0, 1, 1 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.15, -0.15, 1 </MatrixBlue>

This is an old HUD from 2014, I've yet to test it with Engineers, but its a nice change from the Orange to a bit of a brown.

Shall I dig in the archived post for some archived HUDs as well?

Last edited:
Took a few mins to add preview links for each one. Should have done that sooner.

This is a great idea! Kudos for starting this thread.

Cheers :)[up]

This is an old HUD from 2014, I've yet to test it with Engineers, but its a nice change from the Orange to a bit of a brown.

Shall I dig in the archived post for some archived HUDs as well?

Thanks for the config! I had an opportunity to test it briefly. That blue tint to the backgrounds gives it a kind of cross-processed photo quality :D Added, along with some extra screenshots of the Mission Board.

If you can find them, that could be useful, but may be a little time consuming to sort through them!

I would just like to say that I would greatly enjoy a coded HUD color changer, but I think it would be truly cool if we had an engineer who would do it for us that we had to gain reputation for. Said engineer could also do other cosmetic updates to the ship. Maybe it isn't the best idea because then we would need to gain rep and probably materials or scans, but I kind of like the idea of a body shop engineer who could trick out my DBS with some sweet 20" rims.

Another old config.

JADED:
<MatrixRed>0.2, 0.5, 0.2 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0.3, 0.2, 0.4 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 0.3, 0.2, 0.4 </MatrixBlue>
jaded_zpsd59e5fb7.jpg

Yet another Gamma-phase HUD config. Needs testing.

I'll be posting one of these every hour, maybe half hour.

Last edited:
Two for one.

I'm going to be submitting two configs this time, but only because they're within the same color group: Blue.

No0mjJV.png

<MatrixRed> -1, 0.51, 0.99 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 1, -1, -0.26 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, 0.29, -1 </MatrixBlue>

I tried to match the colors of cockpit static panels.

Now for number two.

Here's another DK2 set, that whilst not quite as sharp as the green ramp set, does allow the distinguishing of the radar stalks and is extremely easy on the eyes, (it also looks great in station UI's).

Wake/cargo = Cream.
Friend = Green.
Neutral = Cyan.
Enemy = Navy.

<MatrixRed> 0.0, 0.25, 0.75 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0.0, 1.0, 0.0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1.0, 0.0, 0.0 </MatrixBlue>

http://i.imgur.com/s5AFfBO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cnhRw3T.jpg

Again. Both of these require testing with Engineer/Contact protraits.

... It really pains me to do this, but I don't think I can accept this one...
No need to sound like you are about to commit a warcrime... I failed to mention that those settings I used pre-2.1 update.
I should have checked them with the latest update before posting, so my bad. I feel as if I wasted your time.
If/when I do try changing the HUD colours, I will have to try this one:
Here is mine. Green Elite HUD for VR with RED enemies & ok-ish portraits.
Code:
            <MatrixRed> 0.2, 0, 0 </MatrixRed>
             <MatrixGreen> -2, 1, 0 </MatrixGreen>
             <MatrixBlue> 0, 0, 1 </MatrixBlue>
+1 for posting this one!

Yes, down with orange hud! They should isolate the character and NPC portraits from the HUD colors and add custom HUD color options to ED! [up]
I currently play with a blue colored HUD, sadly it seems to cause problems with portrait coloring a bit, as well as other interface elements I'd rather not have change colors (like friend/foe on sensors).
What's so hard about having simple RGB values for various pieces of the HUD?

Maybe add a combat viability notification to each colour.

Unless the scheme allows for a very distinguishable colour for hostiles then a lot of them are only really partially useful, for trading and exploring really.

Combat pilots Cant use them if we can't distinguish the bad guy!

My son is colorblind and he can't see the orange and reds and greens very well.... in fact the default setting for this game is terrible for him. does anyone out there have a setting for the hud that can help with Red/Green colorblindness?

My son is colorblind and he can't see the orange and reds and greens very well.... in fact the default setting for this game is terrible for him. does anyone out there have a setting for the hud that can help with Red/Green colorblindness?

I don't know if it will help but the little green and red used in my HUD are for very different purposes so may not cause as much mix up. It's listed under the Blues.

Top Bottom