Nobel prize for the discovery of Dimidum (51 Pegasi b) - ED data incorrect

Come on, why so many hyperbolic/sarcastic comments? I thought the community here is better than that. I didn't say it's the end of the game - yay, I'm still enjoying it - I just recognized it and wanted to discuss it regarding what kind of real data to expect in the stellar forge.

Just visited the first discovered exoplanet (you probably read about the physic nobel prize awarded yesterday for it's discovery) and recognized, that the data are not correct (51 Pegasi 1).

Was wondering a bit, as I thought that ED uses the data of the known star and planet catalogue?

Especially such a famous planet should be correct.

Didn't check all the data, but some examples (real data: http://www.openexoplanetcatalogue.com/planet/51 Peg b/)

ED: 48,7 earth masses ; source: 146
ED: 46.668km radius ; source: >17,9 rEarth = 114.040km

Also the naming: in ED it is 51 Pegasi 1 and all the sources state 51 Pegasi b (you could also think about using the names, in this case Dimidum). Or are letters and numbers both possible for naming planets in astronomy and there is no right or wrong?

View attachment 147096

Looks nice, though :)
AFAIK FDev included in the galaxy the database of the known stars but not planets. I don't think planets data are very easy to retrive.

Moon dog

Banned
AFAIK FDev included in the galaxy the database of the known stars but not planets. I don't think planets data are very easy to retrive.
U mean to tell me every planet we discovered with a telescope is in this game? Amazing,is that what ur saying I still don’t really understand what ur talking about:I apologize

Armchair astronomer here.
I haven't seen one yet, but I'm confident that one day I will see an armchair in space. It is the whole reason I got into this.
Just a shame FDev doesn't support this dream.
#JusticeForArmchairs

U mean to tell me every planet we discovered with a telescope is in this game? Amazing,is that what ur saying I still don’t really understand what ur talking about:I apologize

No, he's saying that while there were a large number of stars (about 100,000) were uploaded into ED's starmap, there wasn't a similar database of planets. About a thousand exoplanets were known back in 2013 when the ED Stellar Forge was being worked on, but I suspect no more than a few hundred of those have actually made it into the game. There are also some exoplanets, like Proxima Centauri b (called Eden in-game), where the ED stellar Forge (or in this case, the original FE2 starmap) made a lucky guess that happened to match subsequently-determined reality. Because there wasn't a database import, each one had to be added, by hand. Errors and omissions are, therefore, to be expected.

Last edited:
Stars, not planets.
There's a database of known stars. Those are in the games. The planets are not

Hang on one bleeding minute! This game has been out since 2014, and these so called 'scientists' say they 'discovered' this 'planet' recently (yes I am attempting to use quotation marks as many times as possible :D ) How the flipping heck do we know these charlatans didn't gleam the info from ED, changed a few things - like the size of the planet - to avoid copyright infringement and walked away with a Nobel beeping Prize. Think about it, how do we know who is right, our Lord and Saviour Sir David Braden (dagnammit, if is isn't Knighted yet someone over there tell Lizzie to pull her proverbial finger out and start polishing that sword!) or some unknowns who 'claim' to be scientist or something. It's not like we can actually go and have to look to see who is right and who lied just to get some stinking prize!

The proceeding was bought to you by the letter T, I and C :D

Top Bottom