Nocturnal Animal Pack DLC/Update 1.11 Speculation

Ok, I know it sounds kind of weird, but this would be a good way to round out the roster and add some highly requested animals into the game. If it got released in early October like the NA Animal pack, it could have a spooky theme for the Halloween season. Imagine the soundtrack for the trailer! I know this pack and theme is HIGHLY unlikely, but let's pretend it is, and please share your versions in this thread! Crepuscular animals are fine too, just limit it to animals that are primarily active at dawn/dusk/night.

Here's mine:
1. Tasmanian Devil
2. Linne's/Hoffmans Two-Toed Sloth (I had no idea two-toed sloths are nocturnal!)
3. Red River Hog
4. Maned Wolf
5. Fossa
6. African Crested Porcupine
7. North Island Brown Kiwi
8. Tokay/Lechianus (Giant New Caledonian) Gecko

Other options mediocre options (no offense): Nine-Banded Armadillo, Wolverine, Red Fox (big no thanks), Kinkajou, Ocelot

I picked these animals, as they are all relatively high up on the meta-wish list. I feel like sloths should have been added forever ago. I know climbing could be an issue, but I think that if Frontier could figure out brachiation, I'm pretty sure they could make a way for sloths to stay in trees/climbing frames 99% of the time. Maybe koalas would actually behave the way they're supposed to. My one issue is the lack of primates. I feel like the game really needs a large South American monkey (spider/howler monkey) and a small one (cotton-top/golden lion tamarin). Sadly, they are all diurnal. I know the roster is relatively mammal-heavy, but most birds are diurnal, and honestly, I don't know any reptiles that I would want more than the mammals that are already on the list. I also think that the lack of a new feature (burrowing, deep-swimming, brachiating) may be an issue and a letdown for some people. Oh, and if we get another amphibian, I think I am going to lose my mind. Don't get me wrong, I love amphibians, but the only one I actually wanted was the axolotl. Plz Frontier!

As far as Update 1.11 goes, I just want a climbing revamp, as well as, brachiation added to the Bornean orangutan and more advanced climbing animations for the other arboreal animals in game. I am sure there are a multitude of other obvious inclusions, so feel to discuss them too!

Last edited:
I do not see your pack happen except there will be end of support after Christmas which I do not hope (and think). And I do not think that a nocturnal pack is likely (for autumn) as I think that a general woodlands/forest pack seems likely after brachiation came to the game.

But nevertheless I will make my nocturnal animal pack

Kiwi
Kirks Dik Dik
Armadillo species
Aye Aye
Civet
Indian/Common Crested Porcupine
Red Fox
Any exhibit

You don't have to come up with such an unusual theme to add wanted animals, all the animals you said (including the ones you couldn't add because they are active during the day) can fit into a tropical package.

You don't have to come up with such an unusual theme to add wanted animals, all the animals you said (including the ones you couldn't add because they are active during the day) can fit into a tropical package.
I really do not see a nocturnal pack as unlikely. But I must say it would fit more as a Winter Scenery pack because Winter is the dark time of the year and it could bring us surely some nice scenery.

At this point a Nocturnal Animal Pack is just as likely as a Tropical Animal Pack. Nobody was expecting Wetlands or Conservation - Frontier is throwing us curveballs. Expect the unexpected.

1659768021181.png

Here's my hypothetical nocturnal pack, which I suspect would be a scenery pack (don't ask me why)

Nocturnal Pack:

1. Tasmanian devil - our star, and the highlight of this pack
  2. Aye-Aye - would be our screwball of the pack
  3. Raccoon - 1st member of its family
  4. Red fox - our "clone". Would be near identical to the Arctic fox. Great way to represent NA and Europe (personally, I'd prefer the gray fox, but whatever)
  5. Tokay gecko (E) - our first gecko

I don’t see why a nocturnal pack is unlikely - I’d class it as a lot more likely than most other suggestions I’ve seen.

Edit: also, neither the devil or kiwi are tropical.

Last edited:
I definitely think in the future we will see dlc in this style, it's like in the style of a wetlands & conservation pack, as if to include animals from different regions, but they have in common, in this case it's all nocturnal animals, so I really would be so happy to see the dlc if it includes crested porcupine, it's already my favorite dlc

At this point a Nocturnal Animal Pack is just as likely as a Tropical Animal Pack. Nobody was expecting Wetlands or Conservation - Frontier is throwing us curveballs. Expect the unexpected.
Exactly this. If anything I feel Frontier's overall plan of action for this year's DLCs seems to be "get a theme to unite as many heavily requested animals as possible", so whatever theme fits that goes really.

All I want are anti-light panels or something like that. Some kind of 'fix' for the godrays problem. It's so annoying that during the day time nocturnal houses just don't work because light leeches in through building pieces.
TBH, that's the one thing I'm afraid about when it comes to a nocturnal pack. I honestly don't think we'll be getting stuff to make indoor nocturnal houses. We know it's an issue related to the engine, because even in PlanCo they had to pull crazy tricks to make dark rides by turning it to night when you ride them, so it's going to take some work to get make it possible. And that's where my doubt starts to set in.

I'm not convinced that Frontier is going to make it a mechanic that requires you to build a custom house. They have systems in place so that you basically don't ever have to build anything yourself except for habitats, and I just can't see a way to really make blueprints that will work as easily as the current blueprints to make nocturnal houses with. It's the same reason why I think if aviaries would ever be a thing, they'd give us a tool like JWE2 so that you really don't have to do any custom work.

If we get a nocturnal pack, with the aforementioned things in mind, I'd rather see them not spending time on something as difficult as getting nocturnal houses to work but instead focus more on the "night at the zoo" stuff some modern zoos seem to have.

We know it's an issue related to the engine, because even in PlanCo they had to pull crazy tricks to make dark rides by turning it to night when you ride them, so it's going to take some work to get make it possible. And that's where my doubt starts to set in.

Hmmmm,. I didn’t realise it was done like that on PC (haven’t actually seen it in action). That would seem to indicate that it’d be harder than I’d hoped to implement.

Ok, I know it sounds kind of weird, but this would be a good way to round out the roster and add some highly requested animals into the game. If it got released in early October like the NA Animal pack, it could have a spooky theme for the Halloween season. Imagine the soundtrack for the trailer! I know this pack and theme is HIGHLY unlikely, but let's pretend it is, and please share your versions in this thread! Crepuscular animals are fine too, just limit it to animals that are primarily active at dawn/dusk/night.

Here's mine:
1. Tasmanian Devil
2. Linne's/Hoffmans Two-Toed Sloth (I had no idea two-toed sloths are nocturnal!)
3. Red River Hog
4. Maned Wolf
5. Fossa
6. African Crested Porcupine
7. North Island Brown Kiwi
8. Tokay/Lechianus (Giant New Caledonian) Gecko

Other options mediocre options (no offense): Nine-Banded Armadillo, Wolverine, Red Fox (big no thanks), Kinkajou, Ocelot
I love that animal list :) i think is perfect

I'd prefer a scenery pack for a nocturnal pack, with some actual nocturnal house animals like Galagos and Lorises. Most of these animals are activeat night, but not something you'd find in nocturnal houses in zoos.
I feel like the best parts of a nocturnal house could be added in the free update, since the base game does include traditionally nocturnal species (aardvark, pangolin). If they do find a solution to their godray problem (even if they introduce some kind of system which makes the interior of certain marked buildings switch to 'night mode' or something, like dark rides in Coaster), then they could add that in the update, plus some traditional nocturnal house scenery (new lights and such).

Really though the only nocturnal animal anywhere high on the meta-wishlist that actually requires nocturnal viewing is the kiwi. Others, such as the porcupine, or animals in the game already like the aardvark, clouded leopard, and giant anteater, tend to adapt to a crepuscular or diurnal lifestyle in captivity based on feeding schedules (at my local zoo the best time to view the crested porcupines is either early (they have a feed just after 10am which they don't miss), or in the late afternoon just before closing (in the winter, this is when the sun is just starting to set).

With that in mind a Nocturnal Pack of whatever variety doesn't necessarily need to include nocturnal house functions (I'd just like it to properly display kiwi, if they arrived).

I feel like the best parts of a nocturnal house could be added in the free update, since the base game does include traditionally nocturnal species (aardvark, pangolin). If they do find a solution to their godray problem (even if they introduce some kind of system which makes the interior of certain marked buildings switch to 'night mode' or something, like dark rides in Coaster), then they could add that in the update, plus some traditional nocturnal house scenery (new lights and such).

Really though the only nocturnal animal anywhere high on the meta-wishlist that actually requires nocturnal viewing is the kiwi. Others, such as the porcupine, or animals in the game already like the aardvark, clouded leopard, and giant anteater, tend to adapt to a crepuscular or diurnal lifestyle in captivity based on feeding schedules (at my local zoo the best time to view the crested porcupines is either early (they have a feed just after 10am which they don't miss), or in the late afternoon just before closing (in the winter, this is when the sun is just starting to set).

With that in mind a Nocturnal Pack of whatever variety doesn't necessarily need to include nocturnal house functions (I'd just like it to properly display kiwi, if they arrived).
I think a nocturnal pack should be composed nearly entirely of actual nocturnal house species, species which in no way can not be displayed in a diurnal exhibit, like Loris, Galago, Kiwi, Aye-aye... And most of these are far from the top of the wishlist, but they may have appeal like what haooened with the aquatic pack.

Nocturnal packs aren't as weird as you may think, and have been speculated for some time. I think your animal selection is pretty good as it includes high-demand species from different parts of the world. I also think it would fit good as an Autumn/Winter pack with nights becoming longer again in the North and Halloween being held in this time of year.

I actually think a Nocturnal pack is one of the most likely things to come this year, though I would hope it will be a scenery pack as there are many things that can be added in such a pack, including new tile walls, many lights, Halloween decorations, weathered wood items, spider webs, cave decorations, climbable items (for animals like sloths and tarsiers if they come) and plants that flower at night.

Top Bottom