Non binary mission results

I know this is an old thread, but a way around insured price issue is to base it on real life: insure for purchase price or current value, whichever is lower.

And maybe each claim increases the policy fee for subsequent policies... depending on your standing

I want more ways to deliberately fail missions.

It used to be that almost every mission came with a counter-offer to resolve it for another faction, at the detriment of the current faction you were running it for.

Sadly at that time, the only effects were influence and rep... no state effects, so there wasn't much point to deliberately take other faction missions, when more than likely the better result was to run them for the faction you wanted to support.

Of course, the near-100% counteroffers got removed because it was spammy, but now we've got economic/security impacts on missions. Great! Only now you're lucky to get a counter-offer.

Now, we also know that simply taking and abandoning missions for negative effects got removed because it was, well, exploity. But the negative effects to Influence, economy and security can still be achieved if you deliberately fail missions or scenarios. How do you fail missions? There's a few ways[1]...
  • Grab a mission and wait for it's timer to expire deliberately. For Passenger missions, this is in the order of hours... for most standard missions it's 24 hours, and for the rest, it's up to a week. This isn't very effective.
  • Actually fail the mission. This isn't easy in some cases... in others it needs you to even eat a rebuy. But it's this one that in some cases is most effective. Some cases I know of which don't require waiting for the mission to time out are as follows:
  • Load up a passenger ship full of passengers who don't like damage. Shields down, ram the wall of the station, mission failed everywhere, redock, mission failures ahoy.[1]
  • Let cops destroy an assassination target, and refuse to attack it yourself (except maybe to knock it's FSD)
  • Destroy the target ship in a hostage mission

... but they're all kinda kludgy and naff methods. Scenarios currently do it a little better.
  • Black box salvage (War state): Accept the mission and scoop it (positive), or destroy it (negative)
  • Megaship/Outpost defence scenarios: Join the defence of the relevant POI, or join the raid on it. (Pos/Neg allocated per winner/loser)
  • Some Convoy USS: Join the pirates raiding, or defend the convoy. (Pos/Neg allocated per winner/loser)

Not all scenarios work like this; ships needing repair have a positive outcome, but if you accept the mission and destroy the ship, nothing. Some are even bugged... for example; recovering data from a stricken ship can sometimes spawn a pirate wing; destroying it is meant to give bonus inf/rep/security, but when you do, it just hangs stuck. So here's some suggestions:

• Assassinations: On arrival at USS, spawn the option to kill the pirate (usual mission outcome) or kill the ships they have bailed up (bounty/notoriety, but you get the negative outcome)
  • Passenger missions/Hostage rescue: Options to offload the people to a black market, fail the mission for doing so.
  • Salvage missions: Opt to hand in to search and rescue/authorities
  • Cargo Delivery: Sell on black market, fail the mission for doing so (You get the option to sell mission freight iirc, but it's bugged)
  • Massacre Mission: Offer to turncoat against the other side (From the first mission USS you go to)

... just as a few examples. Anyone who knows my postings knows I think antagonistic behaviours are sorely under-represented in the game. I'd be all over this sort of thing if it were an option.

[1] This one might feel exploity, but hardly any passenger missions spawn for Unfriendly or Hostile rank

Top Bottom