Newcomer / Intro Noob Questions

Hi everyone!

I realize a lot of my questions can be found by going through the forums but I am disabled. Searching looking for info requires concentration which makes me very tired. So far every gaming community has been awesome helping me. I gather up a bunch of questions, throw them up and someone (usually a bunch of ppl) answer them for me. It is a massive help for me. I try to make it so your answers can be yes/no but if it's longer don't worry, as long as it is in one place that won't tire me out.

I am doing pirate missions, are they buggy when it comes to spawning? I have found unless I get an email to go to the nav beacon but a large percentage of the time nothing spawns. Can you only have one mission accepted at a time?

I have been trying to learn how to mine but the complication of it makes it very difficult for me (the amount of concentration to learn a new task). I am at the point where I have a ship outfitted and I scanned an asteroid but none of my mining tools mined anything. Is there a decent guide you can link? If find too often the author/narrator rambles on and on and talks as if I understand all the different types of scanners. Does someone know a really basic guide? Or is it just that much of a pain to learn lol?

Can I take different ships to engineers and get the modification? For example the FSD jump range on my Viper and Transport? Can I have more than one blueprint pinned? what does pinning it actually mean?

Can an Interdictor stop someone from jumping? or can it only pull someone out of supercruise?

Thank you very much in advance if you answer any of the above

Fly safe
Cainethejust

I am doing pirate missions, are they buggy when it comes to spawning? I have found unless I get an email to go to the nav beacon but a large percentage of the time nothing spawns. Can you only have one mission accepted at a time
I haven't found them to be buggy in that the targets don't show up. After scanning the Nav beacon go back to supercruise and mission targets should be in your nav panel. They will be highlighted blue making them easy to pick out of other things showing in the nav panel.

The point of scanning the nav beacon is not that the pirates are at the nav beacon, it's to get the rest of the system signals identified, including the pirate locations. Often you can actually skip the nav beacon scan, check your nav panel first...the mission targets for the pirates are usually already there and highlighted blue as soon as you jump into the system.

Can I take different ships to engineers and get the modification? For example the FSD jump range on my Viper and Transport?
Engineering only can be done on modules fitted into whatever ship you are currently in. You can take a different ship, if you first move the modules from the other ship into it (which of course means the modules need to fit in the ship you plan to take. I often do this for utility slot engineering, for example.

Usually though I just fit the ship I need engineering on with a fuel scoop and a guardian FSD booster and go with the ship I want engineered to all of the different engineers in one session.

Another option, of course, is to find a shipyard near the engineer base, take a ship with better jump and use the transfer function to get the ship you want engineered over there. Transfer is slow though, and I personally don't find this option appealing. It's faster to take the ship itself even if it is a lot of jumps. Just mho.

Engineers do have outfitting present, so you could also just transfer a bunch of modules to the engineer and then swap them in to whatever ship you did fly to do engineering. Again though, those modules do need to be able to be fitted into that active ship.

Can I have more than one blueprint pinned? what does pinning it actually mean?
Yes, you can have more than one blueprint pinned but only one per engineer. So choose wisely which blue print you want to pin at each engineer.
Pinning a blue print means you can do the engineering for that blueprint without visiting the engineer, using the "remote" engineering function available at other bases and stations once blueprints have been pinned.

Be advised, pinned blueprints do NOT rep up the engineer, so get the engineer in question to G5 before using a blueprint pinned for him/her. Also be advised that you cannot apply experimental effects from remote engineering.

Can an Interdictor stop someone from jumping? or can it only pull someone out of supercruise?
No it cannot stop you from jumping.

If you are successfully interdicted, however, your FSD does have a rather long cooldown because of the interdiction.

You should either win the minigame or submit (throttle to 0). You don't end up with the long cooldown if you submit rather than lose the minigame. Make a decision quickly regarding "play mini game" or "submit". Changing your mind mid mini-game is a recipe for mucking up and failing it before you get a chance to submit...resulting in that long FSD cooldown.

I left the mining question alone, not a fan of mining so I don't have any guides bookmarked. Hopefully someone else will be along to help you find your way with that one.

Last edited:
I haven't found them to be buggy in that the targets don't show up. After scanning the Nav beacon go back to supercruise and mission targets should be in your nav panel. They will be highlighted blue making them easy to pick out of other things showing in the nav panel.

The point of scanning the nav beacon is not that the pirates are at the nav beacon, it's to get the rest of the system signals identified, including the pirate locations. Often you can actually skip the nav beacon scan, check your nav panel first...the mission targets for the pirates are usually already there and highlighted blue as soon as you jump into the system.

For some reason this isn't happening. If I don't get an email I go to the nav beacon. It's not overly common, just annoying.

For some reason this isn't happening. If I don't get an email I go to the nav beacon. It's not overly common, just annoying.
Maybe you didn't understand the mission briefing correctly. Is it a mission to simply kill an X amount of pirates, or is it a contract to kill a specific pirate?
If it's just general "kill pirates" mission, you can find them anywhere. At the beacon, preying on ariving ships, in supercruise, inthe Resource Extraction Sites if the system has planets with rings,...
If it's a specific pirate, you have to SCAN the Nav Beacon and it will narrow down the area of search. You then have to go there and find them.

If it's just general "kill pirates" mission, you can find them anywhere. At the beacon, preying on ariving ships, in supercruise, inthe Resource Extraction Sites if the system has planets with rings,...
Even those kill pirate missions always give me some blue highlighted signals to go to in order to kill some pirates, despite the mission text saying what you indicated. Pirate killing is one of my favorite combat mission types, simply cause I don't like pirates.

Even those kill pirate missions always give me some blue highlighted signals to go to in order to kill some pirates, despite the mission text saying what you indicated. Pirate killing is one of my favorite combat mission types, simply cause I don't like pirates.
Yes, it's true that not every pirate ship will be marked as "Mission Target" That is caused by the fact that the mission, as well as occupation (security, pirate, trader,...) also targets a particular faction. So if you have a pirate, but from a different faction, they won't be marked.

Pirates are scum and we should return to the days of old and hang their mouldering corpses from gibbets by the station entrances. ;)

(N.B. Please note the use of a winking smiley before flaming me, ta.)

Pirates are scum and we should return to the days of old and hang their mouldering corpses from gibbets by the station entrances. ;)

(N.B. Please note the use of a winking smiley before flaming me, ta.)

I stole a bunch of domestic appliances from a CMDR recently. Aye, a cheap haul for sure, but still not as cheap as your talk!

;)
🏴‍☠️

Top Bottom