Normal maps issue?

I have modeled this millstone and have a little texture issue, when I use normal map. The one on the left side is without Normal Map, the right one was uploaded to the TMT with a Normal Map. As you can see, there are noticeable texture errors on the right stone. After I last uploaded the stone on the left, I am quite satisfied with this version.

But I would like to know what I did wrong with the normal map?

cFCH5Dk.jpg

Can you share what the normal map image looks like?

Also, as it looks like it's the way it's being lit that's wonky, make sure that you've applied the rotation. For some reason, not applying the rotation can cause weird lighting effects.

Can you share what the normal map image looks like?

Also, as it looks like it's the way it's being lit that's wonky, make sure that you've applied the rotation. For some reason, not applying the rotation can cause weird lighting effects.

I hope the grapics are not too big for this forum
The base image (BC)
bHAG0a7.png

The normal map (NM)

DWPdJQ0.png

Sorry, if the graphics are too big, I can make them smaller for the post and add a link with downloadable files

How did you go about creating the normal map? The reason I ask - it looks like a purple-hued filter over the top of your image, which won't have the same effect. A normal map consists of very specific colors, the main one being a purple color at exactly #8080ff, but with other subtler hues of yellow, turquoise, pink, and blue. That's what tells the renderer how the bump mapping should look. Usually you'd want to bake the normal map from a 3D program, or use a generator like this one: http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

Painting one by hand is also technically possible but pretty tricky to get right; there's a lot of info about that in this thread: https://polycount.com/discussion/115173/tip-handpaint-normal-maps-with-less-effort

I have used a program called xNormal for creating the map, but after reading your post, I have tried out the online generator and the map looks totally different. So I open my program again and checked out the different options. xNormal allows you to create Normal Maps from a picture with one click. I have used the option "normal from photo", which gaves the dark puple picture above. I have used now "Height Map to Normal" and the picture looks like a real normal map. I will try both Normal maps (from the generator and the new one from my program) and test them in the game. Thanks a lot for the hint. As always it was very helpful.

(l: Online Generator / r: XNormal Height Map to Normal)
ZPLcL1x.png
PYr71ov.png

Top Bottom