North American animal pack

In my opinion, the moose is popular because it is kind of iconic from NA (and northern Europe) and it's an impressive animal quite different from any other animal in the game (even different enough from deer and reindeer). If you visit Canada, Sweden, Noray,. Finland, USA it is very easy to find lots of toys and souvenirs that use the moose as a symbol, making it sink in our minds. It is not very common in many zoos, but there are enough northern zoos that have them. I would say they are "somehow similar" to giant pandas in the sense that they are not that common in zoos, but they are very iconic animals.
Right, I know of at least 3 zoos in Czech Republic that have them (the European form but still). And we are a small country.

I'm a European and rightly or wrongly I tend I associate the Moose more with Canada/North US and the Reindeer more with North Europe. In any case we've already had a Nordic themed pack so I wouldn't think a European DLC would have animals from this region. I therefore think the moose makes sense to be included in a NA pack and I would be very surprised honestly if it wasn't

For a 4 pack:
  • Moose
  • Californian Sea Lion
  • Raccoon
  • Cougar

Additional for 7:
  • American Alligator
  • Armadillo
  • Coyote

I never really bother with exhibit animals so I don't really care personally but perhaps a rattlesnake for this.

EDIT: Just added images

North American animal pack? Uh, yes?! Bold are animals I for sure want and would want them in a standard 4+1 DLC:

1. Moose - an iconic animal of north North America
    bull-moose-water.jpg
  2. Puma - a highly adaptable feline found all over the US and ranges to Argentina
    portrait-of-a-cougar--mountain-lion--puma--panther-509738734-1310e31ef4a0491e9d6e08cae24b507f.jpg
  3. American alligator - the final crocodilian, in my opinion, and housed in many zoos
    1200px-American_Alligator.jpg
  4. Collared peccary - a pig-like animal found through Arizona and New Mexico and Mexico
    611Na1T6QdL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
  5. American beaver - a rodent, aquatic, and plain amazing
    American_Beaver.jpg
  6. American black bear - my favorite bear and they've just started returning to Texas (woo hoo)
    gettyimages-187133529-2000.jpg
  7. Gray fox - my favorite living animal and a canine that climbs trees
    Grey-Fox-Carson5.jpg
  8. Axolot (E) - North America, endangered, our 1st salamander
    GettyImages-1058304880-c-0b54061-scaled.jpg

Honorable mentions:

1. Red fox - although more popular than the gray fox, I figured that they'd also fit in a Eurasian pack
2. Wild boar - they may be invasive, but they have had a tremendous impact here
3. White-tailed deer - these are very common all over. Sometimes regarded as a pest
4. American river otter - cute, but Asian small-clawed could also fit this gap (fortunately the Houston Zoo has both species on display)
5. Whooping crane - very interesting and also endangered
6. White-nosed coati - common in Central America and Mexico
7. Raccoon - common all over and an iconic woodlands animal

Last edited:
EDIT: For whatever reason it posted twice, but since I don't want to leave a blank spot I'll post images if the honorable mentions:

IMG_Sweet_cherry_20210624_070821_processed.jpg
Red fox
Wildschwein,_Nähe_Pulverstampftor.jpg

Wild boar
00-Hero-NKN_0920-Photo-Credit-Shane-Indrebo_600-800x600.jpg

White-tailed deer
northamericanriverottersmall.jpg

American river otter
web_apa_2015_karenwilles_282272_whooping_crane_kk.jpg

Whooping crane
5a8feeec96110.image.jpg

White-nosed coati
raccoon-grass_16x9.jpg

Raccoon

Last edited:
1. Cougar/Puma/Mountain Lion (all names for the same critter).
2. American Mink (
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PleNBJ-PMbU
)
3. American River Otter
4. Kit Fox (
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oUS_kD5SvI
) and or Gray Fox (
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_dgIMMskxQ
).
5. Raccoon
6. Sea Lion
7. Black Bear
8. American Alligator
9. Luna Moth (
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4VHcR2h6sQ
)
10. Monarch Butterfly
11. Nine-Banded Armadillo (
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVHpoqMHE48
)
12. Opossum (North America's only marsupial).
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVTxaHV2dmk

13. The Black-Footed Ferret (
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nko2h7vgCi4
)
14. Prairie Dog (
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q05A6WJZ6ng
)
14. Wolverine
15. Bobcat (
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7TQSCkY6y4
) and or Lynx (
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaXmIPHrHmY
)

Last edited:
North American animal pack? Uh, yes?! Bold are animals I for sure want and would want them in a standard 4+1 DLC:

1. Moose - an iconic animal of north North America
  2. Puma - a highly adaptable feline found all over the US and ranges to Argentina
  3. American alligator - the final crocodilian, in my opinion, and housed in many zoos
  4. Collared peccary - a pig-like animal found through Arizona and New Mexico and Mexico
  5. American beaver - a rodent, aquatic, and plain amazing
  6. American black bear - my favorite bear and they've just started returning to Texas (woo hoo)
  7. Gray fox - my favorite living animal and a canine that climbs trees
  8. Axolot (E) - North America, endangered, our 1st salamander

Honorable mentions:

1. Red fox - although more popular than the gray fox, I figured that they'd also fit in a Eurasian pack
2. Wild boar - they may be invasive, but they have had a tremendous impact here
3. White-tailed deer - these are very common all over. Sometimes regarded as a pest
4. American river otter - cute, but Asian small-clawed could also fit this gap (fortunately the Houston Zoo has both species on display)
5. Whooping crane - very interesting and also endangered
6. White-nosed coati - common in Central America and Mexico
7. Raccoon - common all over and an iconic woodlands animal
That would be a great 4+1 pack, i especally like the peccary

Since Frontier really likes San Diego Zoo and communicates with them frequently, I would expect some animals from there.
  • Puma
  • California sea lion
  • American alligator
  • Peccary
  • Axolotl (exhibit)

This is my idea for a North America Animal Pack. I've tried to mix animals from all sizes and biomes. The pack also benefits from behaviours such as diving, climbing and burrowing.

A3 - North America copy.jpg

American alligator: aquatic/tropical. They can dive of course.
Moose: taiga. They could be the co-star of the pack.
California sea lion: aquatic/?. Another diving animal and a fan favourite. Probably the star of the pack.
Cougar: desert, taiga, temperate, tropical and grassland? A very versatile animal that would alo count as a Souh America animal.
Prairie dog: grassland. A good candidate to reuse the meerkats' behaviour.
Musk ox: tundra. It would fit well next to the Arctic wolves.
Raccoon: temperate/taiga. The climbing animal of the pack.
Axolotl: aquatic/tropical. It would probably need a new design for the exhibit box, which is always welcome.

As you can see in the image, all animals are very different to each other, which is something Frontier has done in all the DLC so far.

Wolverines and beavers can come with Europe, and for a smaller otter, it seems that the Asian small clawded is more popular on zoos. i wouldn't mind getting a black bear, but I don't know which animal should be replaced then. Can we get a North America Animal Pack Plus with 10 animals, please? ;)

This is my idea for a North America Animal Pack. I've tried to mix animals from all sizes and biomes. The pack also benefits from behaviours such as diving, climbing and burrowing.

View attachment 243370

California sea lion: aquatic/?. Another diving animal and a fan favourite. Probably the star of the pack.
Cougar: desert, taiga, temperate, tropical and grassland? A very versatile animal that would alo count as a Souh America animal.
Axolotl: aquatic/tropical. It would probably need a new design for the exhibit box, which is always welcome.

As you can see in the image, all animals are very different to each other, which is something Frontier has done in all the DLC so far.

Wolverines and beavers can come with Europe, and for a smaller otter, it seems that the Asian small clawded is more popular on zoos. i wouldn't mind getting a black bear, but I don't know which animal should be replaced then. Can we get a North America Animal Pack Plus with 10 animals, please? ;)
Wow that definetly is a near perfect pack, well done.
Personally i would have snuck in the collared pekari as a dessert animal and maybe a bird, but all of your choices are rocksolid

Pack is great. Personally I would exchange the racoon with the beaver to have a further slot for a potential european/eurasian DLC but your choices are great.

View attachment 243370

Axolotl wouldn't need a new exhibit type - they are bottom crawlers mostly, and would be able to sit quite comfortably in the same exhibit as the diamondback terrapin. Tropical isn't super accurate - they're cold water amphibians. I used to keep them myself, they don't like water above 16 degrees celsius.

Axolotl wouldn't need a new exhibit type - they are bottom crawlers mostly, and would be able to sit quite comfortably in the same exhibit as the diamondback terrapin. Tropical isn't super accurate - they're cold water amphibians. I used to keep them myself, they don't like water above 16 degrees celsius.
See? We need them to educate people like me who have a wrong knowledge about them. Thanks for the info!

See? We need them to educate people like me who have a wrong knowledge about them. Thanks for the info!
It's a weird one with axos because they technically do originate in a tropical environment but they aren't warm water animals. Of course, the vast majority of axolotls come from small captive populations, including the pet trade (all albino axolotls stem from a single mutant individual that came from a scientific center in France). They're fascinating creatures, and although they are active in the pet trade I'd still love to see them in-game (even with their domestic colour variants).

It's a weird one with axos because they technically do originate in a tropical environment but they aren't warm water animals. Of course, the vast majority of axolotls come from small captive populations, including the pet trade (all albino axolotls stem from a single mutant individual that came from a scientific center in France). They're fascinating creatures, and although they are active in the pet trade I'd still love to see them in-game (even with their domestic colour variants).
I always liked axololts, and recently the 1.18 update for Minecraft is gonna make them very popular.

I believe that Maybe they'll have the tropical tag, but lower temperatures than players expect (assuming they ever get added, which they should)

Here are my personal picks for a potential animal pack themed around North America, along with some reasoning as to why I chose them.

• Moose: Easily the mascot of the entire pack. The largest deer alive today, famous for its antlers and being aquatic. Its ongoing population decline is helpful in understanding the conservation towards moose populations.
  • North American Cougar: Iconic predator in North and South American, common in captivity and in zoos. Finishes off the roster of "pseudo-big cats" (with the Cheetah).
  • California Sea Lion: A definite must as it is one of the essential zoo animals. Adds variety to the aquatic roster, second pinniped in game.
  • Wolverine: A fan-favorite that represents the mustelids. Difficult to keep in captivity but has a strong and fearsome reputation.
  • Roosevelt Elk: Represents the elk/wapiti of North America, which were nearly hunted to extinction. Historical influence for the founding of national parks.
  • American Alligator: Iconic predator of the Everglades thanks to being a keystone species and cultural significance in the state of Florida. Should be the last crocodilian put into the game.
  • Bighorn Sheep: Saves room as a "clone" of the Dall sheep, aside from that it is a well known ungulate and it has cultural significance to several indigenous cultures.
  • (EXHIBIT) Monarch Butterfly: Easily the most iconic but one of the most threatened invertebrates native to North America.
Alternate Choices:
  • American Beaver: Iconic animal, fan-favorite for being a freshwater aquatic animal. Largest rodent in North America, famous for altering environment.
  • American Black Bear: Most common bear species in North America, common in captivity. Potentially unnecessary due to overwhelming amount of bears in game.
  • Coatimundi: Common zoo animal, distinct appearance and represents the tropical aspects of North America. Easily fills in the void for raccoons.
  • Florida Panther: Specific subspecies of the North American Cougar native to the Everglades. Endangered and valued species to save in conservation.
  • Musk Ox: Arctic bovid well known for its shaggy coat. Found at the very top of North America, reintroduced to Alaska and Yukon. (Authors Note: genuinely do not know why they were not part of the Arctic Pack)
  • Nine-banded Armadillo: Most well known of the armadillos, common in the southern parts of North America (and South America). Common in captivity, can survive in multiple habitats, well known for its armor and overall appearance.
  • Virginia Opossum: Well known "urban" animal, common throughout continent. Only marsupial alive today in North America.
  • (EXBIBIT) Axolotl: Cute animal, first salamander in the game (I would personally save it for an endangered species pack).
  • (EXHIBIT) Green Anole: Well known lizard from Eastern North America. Ability to change color sparked the myth that (old world) chameleons change color due to being called a "chameleon" in the past.
  • (EXHIBIT) Scarlet Kingsnake: A nonvenomous snake well known for its mimicry of the venomous coral snake. Potentially unnecessary due to number of snakes already in game.
  • (EXHIBIT) Tiger Salamander: One of the largest salamanders in North America. Well known across United States, has distinct tiger-like pattern.
Theming:

If the pack is going for a traditional 5 animal pack with theming, I have some concerns since I believe that it will ignite controversy. Although I am not indigenous myself, I am fearful that Frontier would merge aspects from different cultures and lump them all together (like what happened with the Africa Pack).
To solve this I believe that Frontier should get some insight from indigenous artists from North America, like what they did with the Australian Pack. It will allow the game to have a good way of implementing aspects of indigenous culture all while respecting those specific cultures.

Top Bottom