Nosedived into planet - :(

Arrrgggh,

I've just nosedived into a planet whilst playing in VR - my headset stopped responding, so I took it off to try and sort, forgetting that the ship will carry on flying
I eventually got it working , only to find 'Your ship has been destroyed' !

I've been out in space for months, so am a bit fed up at the minute - oh well lesson learned I suppose.
If it wasn't early in the morning, I would go and have a nice strong drink.

Think I'll go and play Talos Principle for a while, and calm down.

Fly safely all,
Nick

Fit proper shields, and those accidents will stop.
My exploraConda has 1100 mj shields, with a jumprange of 70+, and my exploraPhantom has 950 mj with a jumprange of 56 ly.

I only laugh about lithobraking and ganking attempts.

Arrrgggh,

I've just nosedived into a planet whilst playing in VR - my headset stopped responding, so I took it off to try and sort, forgetting that the ship will carry on flying

You could....hmm can't call it combat log, litho-log?

Arrrgggh,

I've been out in space for months, so am a bit fed up at the minute - oh well lesson learned I suppose.
If it wasn't early in the morning, I would go and have a nice strong drink.

Think I'll go and play Talos Principle for a while, and calm down.

Fly safely all,
Nick

Very sorry to hear that.
I too suggest a call to the support staff.

Call support staff, it's an accident of the multiverse what has happened to you, so they should be able to get in touch with the insurance company and talk about the issue. I'm not a lawyer, but It should cover your loss, CMDR. Of course they decide if that's the case.

Thanks to all for suggestions,

At the time, I never thought of the fact that the game was still running - as my headset was blank - you get so immersed, you forget about the flat monitor in front of you :)

I hadn't considered support - I'll drop them a line, you never know
If not, lesson learned - will up my shields when I next return to a station (which may be sooner the I hoped :) )

BTW - I'd highly recommend ED in VR - it looks amazing. I can also recommend Talos Principle to anyone with VR - it's great fun, and very relaxing.

----------------
Edit:

Just had a quick go with No Mans Sky in VR - I still can't get into the game for some reason (must be me), but it looks great - If ED can do anything near this (planetary landings etc),
I'll be a very happy man !

Cheers,
Nick

“He hit the ground, the sound was "SPLAT", his blood went spurting high;
His comrades, they were heard to say "A HELL OF A WAY TO DIE!"
He lay there, rolling 'round in the welter of his gore,
And he ain't gonna jump no more.”
- Blood Upon the Risers, U.S. Paratroopers

Great News,

The very nice people at support have re-instated my ship, exploration data and credits, and placed me in the system I was in at the time of my accident :)
I'm a very happy explorer.

The support team are fantastic - shame there wasn't anywhere to put a thank you in the ticket, once it was resolved.

Back to exploring at the weekend :)

Cheers all for the advice,
Nick

Great News,

The very nice people at support have re-instated my ship, exploration data and credits, and placed me in the system I was in at the time of my accident :)
I'm a very happy explorer.

The support team are fantastic - shame there wasn't anywhere to put a thank you in the ticket, once it was resolved.

Back to exploring at the weekend :)

Cheers all for the advice,
Nick
Glad to hear it. I've taken note that they'll fix this kind of stuff in case something similar happens to me. So far the worst I've done is get stranded and need a fuel rat rescue (I'd changed ships and forgot the new one didn't have a scoop yet).

I just overestimated my breaks on a planet with 4.6 g. Full speed in a fully laden T9 and breaking just 4 km above the surface isn't enough time to get to a standstill … before the litho-breaking sets in. Result: shields down to zero, hull down to 10 % … but I survived :)

Than during the start … Me => feeling invincible … next system I want to go to is just above the horizon. So around 3 km above the surface I inititate the FSD and turn sideways … the stupid FSD is fully charged, but it is not locking onto the next system even though it is in the middle of my screen … "align with target" is all i can see … and that I'm losing height … rapidly that is … well, some wiggling didn't help … neither did my shields this time.
But that was not a nosedive … rather a belly flop.

Long story short: Don't get cocky

Awesome news. I wonder why they have been telling cmdrs that they are unable to restore exploration data? Some high profile accidents in the past, the official line has always been 'The ship can be restored, exploration data is gone forever'

Ever heard of throttles and emergency stopping?

Read the OP - You lose control of the ship if the HMD becomes inactive, the game will carry on, the only option is to hope you can fix the issue, or killing the .exe

Last edited:
Awesome news. I wonder why they have been telling cmdrs that they are unable to restore exploration data? Some high profile accidents in the past, the official line has always been 'The ship can be restored, exploration data is gone forever'

Read the OP - You lose control of the ship if the HMD becomes inactive, the game will carry on, the only option is to hope you can fix the issue, or killing the .exe
No key board? No stick? I mostly see VR as glorified headtracker.

I haven't had time to check if my data is there, I won't know 'till I get back to civilisation, but really happy they put me back in the system. They did say this was a good will gesture, and may not always be able to do this - which is fair enough.

I think I need to practice some emergency kill app procedures or similar in case this happens again - but do it from a safe spot - perhaps while safely landed somewhere :)

And as 777Driver said - no control at all - you have to take off the HMD, try and get back control of your mouse, and then kill off the task - all while your Ship is doing who knows what - crashing into the planet in my case!

Top Bottom