Notable Stellar Phenomena?

Interesting – I just stumbled on some Stolon Pods out in the rim. I note that I found these in a K Class star system, but the codex noted that they were found in Y class star systems. I also note that my discovery information was not updated to the CODEX following my findings? Isn’t that sort of the point of the Codex – if I find it in another star system it updates the Codex to help others find it?

I say this because a couple of week s ago I was wandering around Y class star systems exclusively, trying to find one – with no success and then here I accidentally bump into them in a K class system when I had stopped looking.

But was there a Y class secondary/tertiary star in the system? This was how I turned up a 'Y' NSP in a 'M' system :)

Last edited:
@ Lngjohnsilver1: The requirement is that there must be a class Y dwarf star in the system, not that it has to be the main star.
That said, was there?
Don't forget that the Codex is seriously bugged still, so finds might not register, listed requirements might be incorrect, and so on.

I'm sure there's quite a few "traits", but so far only Biologicals in Orbit (Space) ever exhibited any for all I know.

Plus... *ehm*... What's the point?
All you get for discovering new "traits" is a lousy 2500Cr, a bugged placeholder String HUD Message (lol) and the additional line in the Codex (not even your name attached to it).
I've discovered a few but nothing ever came of it.
Well, exactly. It's nice if Frontier meant you could poke at them, but what for? The known rewards for doing so are peanuts, and while there might be undiscovered interactions (I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't, and Frontier just thought we didn't try everything simply because the tries didn't register on their end), none of what has been found so far has led to anything. All the obvious and less-obvious stuff has been tried, so there might be obscure things Frontier thought we'd do but we didn't - but if you try a plethora of interactions, and nothing happens on any of them, then that should be little wonder.

A good example of how they could have done things right were the Thargoid Probes. Those exhibit logical, consistent behaviour, things which needed to be analyzed, and also found plenty of useful extra in-game use when the Thargoid surface structures were introduced. Oh, and they could also be used in UA bombing as well, if memory serves.

I hope that someday, we'll see hand-crafted galaxy content that at least approaches that of the Thargoid content, or at least the newer Guardian stuff's.

I'm wondering what else there is to try with some of those space creatures. People try lots of things, such as honking at them, flashing the lights, ramming them, pushing them, flying around them, and even shooting them. I'm not sure what else can be done, unless there are specific weapon types that have to be used, or drop certain types of cargo (or guardian/thargoid objects) near them. But these are things that explorers are extremely unlikely to have with them in deep space.

Personally I haven't seen any effect from hitting them with multicannons, flak, and mining lasers, as examples.

Last edited:
But was there a Y class secondary/tertiary star in the system? This was how I turned up a 'Y' NSP in a 'M' system :)

Ohh that's thin - no offense to you because you didn't do it, but that would make the CODEX entry seriously misleading. I did not check if it had a Y class star in the system - i checked the Main Sequence Star and it was a K. Given the value of that information i would assume that the Codex would, by necessity, reference the MAIN SEQUENCE star as being a critical factor and include secondary sequence requirements under another heading. Otherwise - how would i intentionally go looking for the feature? I'd have to physically visit every system everywhere (because of course i cant get the internal system layout without visiting it!) and hope i find a Y class sequence star somewhere in the system? At least i van filter for K or Y class Main sequence stars in the Galmap.

I think i prefer the 'codex is broken' argument.

Otherwise - how would i intentionally go looking for the feature? I'd have to physically visit every system everywhere (because of course i cant get the internal system layout without visiting it!) and hope i find a Y class sequence star somewhere in the system?

You can actually see the types of stars in the system from the galaxy map, not the planets though.

I just flew a few thousand light years through the 'Sagittarius-Carina Arm' (filtered for O, B and F) and more than 50% of the systems I've visited had NSPs in them.
So if someone wants to find absurd numbers of NSPs I'd suggest this region. The second I've crossed the border to 'Trojan Belt' I stopped finding NSPs.
Naturally I can't tell if there are as much NSPs in non-F class systems, but somehow I doubt that it is restricted to them.

I just flew a few thousand light years through the 'Sagittarius-Carina Arm' (filtered for O, B and F) and more than 50% of the systems I've visited had NSPs in them.
So if someone wants to find absurd numbers of NSPs I'd suggest this region. The second I've crossed the border to 'Trojan Belt' I stopped finding NSPs.
Naturally I can't tell if there are as much NSPs in non-F class systems, but somehow I doubt that it is restricted to them.
According to the Codex, they spawn in class F, G, K, M systems. Which is the overwhelming majority of stars. (Due to M dwarfs being included there though.)
So yeah, if their chances are like this in G-M as well, then that's overkill. If.

Hm, that's a first I've heard. Like the others mentioned, they appear to be rare in the IOS, and practically non-existent in other sectors. Personally, I visited 3,000 systems before I wrapped up what I wanted to explore, found two in the IOS (even though I've spent at best a hundred jumps there) and none outside.
However, now that I look at the Notable Phenomena Repository again, even with the small data set, Dryman's Point does seem to have a more than the average amount. Interesting.

Maybe Frontier's planning on opening up the Dryman permit region first?

I did a google search to see if I was the only one thinking this. I've been through Dryman's Point twice now since 3.3 dropped and both times I have run into an insane number of these as compared to other sectors. Sort of like the neutron and black hole fields around the core. It might be interesting to have exceptional areas like these cataloged at some point, probably by someone far more organized than myself :3

Same here.
I´ve been taking a hike around all the outter sectors of the galaxy, and since i did crossed the Sagittarius-Carina Arm i´ve been finding lots and lots od NSP´s
I had noted that around 50% of the systems where they are present have amonia or water based life, water or amonia worlds, or eath-like.
It´s good to pay attention on the FSS of those systems, there is a good number of them with biological signals on the surface (Cristaline clusters on all of them untill now... perfect to fill up your G5 raws... really, i did not knew that those cristal cluster would provide anly the most valuable materials, and enougth to collect all the 150 in a blink!)
But have not found any NSP on any other sectors since i left on my counterwise circunavigation!

currently in Drymans Point and cant move for the blighters! in the past kylie (maybe 10 jumps)i have found four systems with 4 out of the 5 Peduncle Trees.

6WlaIDo.png

Top Bottom