nothing in pristine massive hotspots???????????

I first visited a Metal Rich ring with these results:
9iCgbHR.jpg
02xMQ43.jpg

I mined the painite hotspot, about 1Mm from its center. The rocks were broadly spread-out in the ringspace despite dropping into one of the densest-looking ringlets. As expected the painite came from 4 core rocks, averaging 16 chunks per blast. I also spent a lot of time lasering to see what that yielded (I had not done metal rich ring mining before, just icy) and busted a rhodplumsite core as well as painite. Too many hours spent for this return, however.

So far, all is as expected, no dearth of available minerals and if I had spent the time looking only for cores I am sure I could have doubled if not tripled the painite yield.

My metallic ring target is a ways off so I'll put off mining it until tomorrow.

This is the system with the Metallic Ring I mined for this test:
jnwBLdf.jpg

and this is the haul that resulted
MJaQodI.jpg

I used the standard "shoot first and ask questions later" method in this ring, going from rock to rock, occasionally pulsing with the PWS to find SSD and surface scab deposits. I hit quite a few of the glowies, but only one had SSD painite, and that not a great lode. It seems to me that all the metal rich and metallic ring minerals yield a great deal less per SS deposit than those in icy rings.

Total tonnage shows that painite, despite being classified as "rare," outclassed the other minerals I was collecting, only osmium coming close and that because I found three rocks with extensive SS deposits of that metal -- each shot did not yield a great deal but there were many individual deposits and they lasted until nearly the final blue tick mark was exhausted.

Given these results I'd say that painite is alive and well in the black. I know that doesn't shed a lot of light on the OP's concerns, but it's more grist for the mill at least.

This is the system with the Metallic Ring I mined for this test:

and this is the haul that resulted

I used the standard "shoot first and ask questions later" method in this ring, going from rock to rock, occasionally pulsing with the PWS to find SSD and surface scab deposits. I hit quite a few of the glowies, but only one had SSD painite, and that not a great lode. It seems to me that all the metal rich and metallic ring minerals yield a great deal less per SS deposit than those in icy rings.

Total tonnage shows that painite, despite being classified as "rare," outclassed the other minerals I was collecting, only osmium coming close and that because I found three rocks with extensive SS deposits of that metal -- each shot did not yield a great deal but there were many individual deposits and they lasted until nearly the final blue tick mark was exhausted.

Given these results I'd say that painite is alive and well in the black. I know that doesn't shed a lot of light on the OP's concerns, but it's more grist for the mill at least.

Thanks for the report. I have found zero painite in several systems doing laser mining. I did find a single ssd but i am not outfitted for these. I reverted back to the known dual painite locations and have gathered enough to pay for a year of FC maintenance (took about 3 hours). Now to head back to deep space... Thanks again for the feedback.

Im somewhere around 6000 ly north of Colonia. Found a opal and ltd hotspot overlapping each other. Did I found anything? Obviously not. Cruised around for probably half an hour sending away 100 something prospector probes. So yes, hotspots doesn't seem to work as they should.
I have an LTD/Void Opal overlapping 20ly from Colonia same issue. Currently sitting in a 2LTD 1 VO overlap and not a damn thing but Water and various other non-money making deposits.

Hi All.

I'm having same issues with deep core mining in all hot spots for any ore, ive had plenty of surface stuff but non of the high value deep core items, many hot spots are totally empty of said hot spot items.

In the hundreds of systems i've traveled too some being the high mining reward systems over the past weeks since the Fleet Carriers patch i have only mined about 40 plus tons of Diamonds and 10 tons Opals, and i average 3-4 tons per hot spot i find anything worth mining.

If any frontier Dev's read this thread about the mining becoming near to useless PLEASE tell the players WHY!.

It may not even be a patch requirement and may be a fault in the bgs what with all the carrier's now in play
ie just how long do pristine rings last? is there a set % of mineable goods that once mined the ring is depleted?
whatever the reason most would like to know is if the rings say hotspot why does it not reflect this and if its no longer "hot" then why does it say it is
still what with every one mining its hard to imagine a ring depleting as they would probably contain billions of tons

Last edited:
4 hours last night in a LTD hotspot, 2 cores. Oodles of tritium to be found.

Also found 2 bromelite cores and 1 grandiderite, but nearly every rock had zero LTD's in it, didn't find a single LTD SSD all night. Try again tonight before I apparently will have to move to tritium mining and become a serf to all you carrier boys :rolleyes:

I've found 4 large ones 2 of which overlap and not one asteroid has a single bit of painite in them and Ive tried multiple locations in each of the 4 hotspots.

Were these "metal-rich" rings? Or "metallic?" AFAIK, Painite can only be laser mined in "metallic" rings..."metal rich" rings are more common, but only have cores. I wouldn't blame you for not knowing this - the game doesn't exactly make it clear.

Thanks for the report. I have found zero painite in several systems doing laser mining.

Same question as above.

Currently sitting in a 2LTD 1 VO overlap and not a damn thing but Water and various other non-money making deposits.

VO only shows up in cores. Are you only prospecting potential core rocks? Because if you're getting Water, it sounds like you're laser mining. And my experience with LTDs in single hotspots (including in the bubble) is that you'll only find cores. Laser-mineable LTD is super rare, even in a LTD2 spot. If I'm in a LTD2 I bring sub-surface and core equipment, and if I'm in a single LTD I expect to find cores only. In my experience, the only place lasers have ever been effective for LTDs were in triples.

I just finished a mining session in a well-populated-with-hotspots-ring 1545.5LY out from Sol, in the process visiting two LTD hotspots (singles), and using all four mining methods. The general upshot is I found LTDs in all kinds of lodes: Core, SSD, surface scabs, and intrinsic (for lasering), but not really in the numbers I expected for hotspots based on past experience. Given the adjustments being made lately, I don't consider that unusual, I just have to adjust my expectations.

The first hotspot was very lean on LTD, one SSD rock that gave 44T(!) and one standard core for 14T. All else was Tritium, VOs and other high-end minerals.

The second was much more what I expected from a hotspot, with many more LTD cores, though no SSD this time. I did find two rocks with decent (20% or better) intrinsic LTD lodes, but not by laser-sampling though I did quite a lot of that. They showed up when I prospected rocks I knew were likely not cores but bright in the PWA enough to have SSD or surface scabs. They did, but rarely LTD, mostly Tritium. The intrinsic LTD was pure serendipity.

All in all it was a good session, filled my 'Vette's hold, though it was a long one, over 4 hours, so somewhat less than the 100T/hr I've been getting lately.

So far I've not had any substantial difficulty mining any of the easily-marketable minerals. Next jump will get me circa 2KLY out, we'll see if it changes then.
md1d42g.jpg

Top Bottom