As the title says it, but to be specific, it was told that the chances are high we could find a thargoid base, artifacts or anything related to the Thargoids if we explore the galactic core, since their homeworld is in the opposite area of the galaxy but closer to the core than we are.

I've made my journey to Sagittarius A for the first time almost a month ago and I landed on 20 planets in different star systems around the galactic core, and until hours to days of planetary exploration I found absolutely nothing!

I was excited when I finally have fully modified the FSD and began the travel. And as of now I feel my journey a disappointment.

Is it really this much of a waste of time?
Or did somebody out there actually found something around the core?

This is my first thread, by the way.
I'd appreciate helpful answers that could keep me going.
Thank you in advance.

PSN ID: "Midnight90s-"

Last edited:
1) Where did you hear this stuff? Frontier wants players to take part in the storyline, and since most players barely step outside the bubble, it's unlikely they'll put that sort of stuff that far out.

2) 20 planets is --no offence-- ridiculously low in regards to the scope of your research.

1) Where did you hear this stuff? Frontier wants players to take part in the storyline, and since most players barely step outside the bubble, it's unlikely they'll put that sort of stuff that far out.

2) 20 planets is --no offence-- ridiculously low in regards to the scope of your research.

Well, I heard it from one or two Cmdr's saying this in their videos on YouTube. ObsidianAnt, as ya'll probably know about his channel, said it in one of his videos.

Who told you this?

Some YouTubers said it.

o7

Last edited:
IIRC he referred to the permit locked regions out there, I remember that video. It's highly hypothetical, nothing actually in the game or the lore support this, afaik.

20 planets at the core? That really is a needle in haystack scenario. Not sure if Fdev has anything out there or locked away for now but 20 isn't going to cut it unless lottery lucky.
I suggest do 20 more and so on if you're really looking.

So nobody. Unless they are developers don't take their word as law. You can only take the developers words with a grain of salt sometimes as well.

I agree, and I understand now.
I can't say if the YouTuber is a developer or not. ObsidianAnt mentioned about the Permit Locked regions, but it was another YouTuber who literally said it's highly likely to find Thargoid related stuff in the galactic core.

o7

Last edited:
20 planets at the core? That really is a needle in haystack scenario. Not sure if Fdev has anything out there or locked away for now but 20 isn't going to cut it unless lottery lucky.
I suggest do 20 more and so on if you're really looking.

Since I'm still eager to find something, I'll try to keep looking.

o7

I agree, and I understand now.
I can't say if the YouTuber is a developer or not. ObsidianArt mentioned about the Permit Locked regions, but it was another YouTuber who literally said it's highly likely to find Thargoid related stuff in the galactic core.

o7

The number of systems near the core is mind blowing. I've searched 10,000 in an 80 ly cube, and the number of further cubes goes on and on in all directions. None of the 10,000 had been tagged by anyone else, and I very much doubt any had any developer placed specific content
So the chances of finding any developer placed oddities is akin to winning the lottery in real life I think, it's one of the problems with Exploration currently IMHO. Exploration has hit a wall in terms of finding anything you haven't already seen a 1,000 times . All that's left currently (IMO) is numbers (find the most ELW's, the biggest/ smallest etc) and the interaction of player groups on Expeditions.

a hundred of us could search the core non stop for months and barely scratch the surface on systems in the core....a quick jaunt to Sag and didnt see anything? how odd.

Exploration has hit a wall in terms of finding anything you haven't already seen a 1,000 times . All that's left currently (IMO) is numbers (find the most ELW's, the biggest/ smallest etc) and the interaction of player groups on Expeditions.

This is why I am trying to concentrate on just seeing the sights and filling in gaps in what we know. I travel slowly, so I'm not going to get anywhere before anybody else except by taking time to stop and smell the roses that others might rush past. Today I plan to check a couple of previously-discovered Bark Mound sites to see if they're still there (it is questionable), and further survey the bodies they were found on to see if there's anything more. If the sites aren't where they're supposed to be I'll search as best I can to see if they've moved.

Still. Surely there's something out there. :x

Last edited:
Exploration has hit a wall in terms of finding anything you haven't already seen a 1,000 times

My thoughts exactly when I consider the DW2 Waypoints Scouting Event. Two years ago, it would have been flooded with submissions in a matter of days. Today, what's left if we discard everything we've seen and seen times and times again?... Things that verge on Stellar Forge glitches more than rare astronomy phenomena. And that are likely to be wiped out by the new stuff in Q4 :p

Good luck on the Bark Mounds, I checked a bunch yesterday and found nothing (2 in witch head, 1 in Cali, 2 in t Tauri) - the only ones I could find were at Mic Turner base.

@op - as you've made it to the core you will have some appreciation of the density of stars there. We need more information to have a good chance.

With respect to the Thargoids, it was suggested in FFE that they are extragalactic, but FFE canon has been bent many times already. If they have a homeworld it could be anywhere. The thargoid probes point to a location inside Col 70 but who knows?

I can't say if the YouTuber is a developer or not.
I can: they aren't. Frontier's developers only appear on the official streams.

With respect to the Thargoids, it was suggested in FFE that they are extragalactic, but FFE canon has been bent many times already. If they have a homeworld it could be anywhere. The thargoid probes point to a location inside Col 70 but who knows?
And then there was this recent GalNet article, which basically says "they could be from absolutely anywhere". Not helpful, guys.

I've always wondered though where the original location of the Thargoids in ED might have been though. FD have said that encountering them would have been possible since launch, although I guess it might have been the little ships instead. They obviously weren't in the Pleiades though, so I wonder if there's a "Thargoid encounter area" or something similar somewhere out there.

As for the Col 70 system, I think the most likely explanation would be a forward outpost or a comms relay. The better question is, given all the clues pointing to Merope as well, why have we found absolutely nothing there?

Last edited:
IIRC he referred to the permit locked regions out there, I remember that video. It's highly hypothetical, nothing actually in the game or the lore support this, afaik.

Yeah, there's a couple of permit locked nebula about 7kly past Sag A*, they're locked for some reason, but assuming thargoids is a bit of a stretch. Once the thargoid storyline is done and dusted (I will be one day) they're going to have to introduce something else, so that's the Ori season of the ED galaxy.

Top Bottom