Notice Notice regarding supply and demand of high-end minerals

The question is ... is 0 demand on the most favourable state combination better than non-zero demand on a less favourable (but more commonplace) state combination? That probably depends on how much mining you plan to do, how many other miners are about, what you're mining for, and whether you prefer a guaranteed decent price to the possibility of a much higher or lower one.

I'm not always enamored with this games development. Once you start to dive deeper into understanding how something works, the less "magical" it becomes, and then you begin to find the idiosyncracies -- some you learn to live with, and others you call out in hopes of changing (insert analogy about a long-term relationships here, I guess). A model of an economic system that allows for me to ask and answer those questions above for myself isn't shabby gaming. It might not be everyone's idea of fun, but neither is searching for green gas giants, hauling a Cutter full of biowaste, or working for weeks to change a system's state.

I'm not always enamored, but I'm learning to be more appreciative of the work involved with building this "galaxy" and keeping it running, by both players and FDEV.

I'd say it's a good opportunity to get rid of the V1.x era Bulk Trade Tax entirely, since it hasn't fulfilled any purpose since a very long time now anymore.
  • causes irrational price distortions that really hurt profits from high-end Mining in large Ships (= essentially punishes large Mining Vessels)
  • affects even Station Repairs, where already low to very poor profits for select Commodities in huge Demand can even turn negative, which doesn't make any sense
Demand should matter, since it makes sense.
Cargo size though? Shouldn't affect - let alone reduce - price paid at all.
After all, why would a Damaged Station pay even less for a Commodity in huge Demand with 6-digit numbers required actually punish CMDRs delivering 500t, 600t or even 700t batches - which is exactly what the Damaged Station needs the most?
And where is any harm done if a Station has demand for 10.500t of i.e. Low Temperature Diamonds or Painite and a CMDR docks with 450t in the Cargo hold?

Yep, IMHO the bulk trade tax should be removed entirely.

I agree with post #6. Remove the bulk tax until something that makes sense can be implemented.

I'm not always enamored with this games development. Once you start to dive deeper into understanding how something works, the less "magical" it becomes, and then you begin to find the idiosyncracies -- some you learn to live with, and others you call out in hopes of changing (insert analogy about a long-term relationships here, I guess). A model of an economic system that allows for me to ask and answer those questions above for myself isn't shabby gaming. It might not be everyone's idea of fun, but neither is searching for green gas giants, hauling a Cutter full of biowaste, or working for weeks to change a system's state.

I'm not always enamored, but I'm learning to be more appreciative of the work involved with building this "galaxy" and keeping it running, by both players and FDEV.

I agree with this entirely, even though we at iMU enjoy getting deep into the research of mining... I'd have been happy with 'Thargoid pest control costing a fortune, can't afford to pay for bulk'... Oh right... And been none the wise haha!

I can speak for 99% of the pe 2018 Q4 miners in saying... We're not that bothered by the change and we'll continue to mine. We got 120k at most and 42k at most before that... The year of big money was our boom state that lasted a decent while... The prices are still we worth mining for if you enjoy mining.

EDIT: When I say we're not that bothered, 'tis not entirely true. We are put out by the limited information for the change. The credits themselves are not an issue to us.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Stephen Benedetti,

Since the January Update, with the help of your feedback, we have identified that this process doesn't perform as well as we intended and it's something the team will be looking into improving in a future .

o7
[/QUOTE]

Thank you. While you're at jt can you add something to the buy screen that lets you know how much you need for mission specific commodities based on what you turned in already? This would help us. As it is i have to use a calculator to determine how much more i need to buy.

Thank you. While you're at jt can you add something to the buy screen that lets you know how much you need for mission specific commodities based on what you turned in already? This would help us. As it is i have to use a calculator to determine how much more i need to buy.

Hmm. Mental arithmetic is highly under rated.

Then again so are calculators, a fine addition to your game rig / sim pit.

Thank you so much Stephen Benidetti, Will Flanaagan and Paige Harvey for the Excellent work you and the rest of the Community Team do on a daily basis. I know it can be quite trying at times dealing with a massive load of grumpy space nerds who are far to ready to complain about things. And who once they file a complaint wait exactly 2 seconds before throwing a tantrum that their issue has not been addressed but I would like to acknowledge that you guys have been passing on our thoughts and voicing our concerns to the DEVTEAM on this and many issues. Now we don't always get what we want for many reasons (1. We all want different things; 2. DEVTEAM quite rightly has to balance our requests with their own ideas and development strategies for the best future of the game and 3. You cant have EVERYTHING at once. Even legitimate unquestioned issues have to be handled one or a few at a time so not all things can come instantly) and you guys day in and day out get to take the heat of all of the complaints for anything and everything while trying to keep a smile on your face and a positive attitude. Just wanted to say as someone who has been a complainer myself on this particular issue I actually am in favor of the idea of a "nerf" to mining thru the supply and demand system so well done on that I just didn't agree with the logic behind how the cargo tax was being implemented. That said, you have clearly passed that along and I am confident that it will be addressed in due time. I was also quite happy to hear in a recent Livestream that you passed along to the DEVTEAM the communities desire to have the earning potential of combat buffed to bring it more in line with mining. Keep up the good work and just know that while the lions have been starving for fresh meat that very soon with the additional content coming later this year they should be kinder to you. A special note to Paige: Thank you so much for your time with Elite. You will most definitely be missed and I look forward to seeing you in future endeavors as well as hold hope that in a few years when its time for another move you may once again find yourself "docked" at FDEV. o7

The entire "new system" is almost ubiquitously hated by the ACTUAL player base, though from many comments on these forums, which Dev team seems to listen to it is not so apparent.

Every content creator hates it.

Ever poll of ACTUAL PLAYER BASE hates it.

I hate it.

It is broken full stop, go back to the old system until it is fixed. Prices were OK. People were enjoying mining. People build ships JUST FOR MINING! Which, especially big ships, are now just scrap.

LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY PLAY YOUR GAME!!!

There is a reason this game is being abandoned by people in droves. I was its biggest supporter, now I just dont care, so ed off am I. This is just the straw that breaks the Camel's back.

You have community managers who live stream who dont even know what ship they are flying. You have a Dev team that keep on nerfing features without any good reason or anything else to replace them, no matter how much the community likes, enjoys or finds them useful.

All of this is for 2 reasons :
1. DEVS DO NOT PLAY THEIR OWN GAME! And they don't have anyone who does to tell them they are making mistakes.
2. DEVS DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE WHO DO, RELYING UPON THIS TOXIC MESS OF A FORUM FOR FEED BACK.

This forum is NOT representative of the player community due to its toxicity it drives players away, people just dont like being subtly put down, demeaned, insulted, all in very clever ways that do not quite hit the bar needed for a warning, happens ALL THE TIME. THIS DRIVES PLAYERS AWAY FROM THIS FORUM and leads to a negative feedback loop where only toxic people or the type of people who can suffer a forum like this long-term seem to be heard. There is a reason I hardly post anymore, I am just fed up with it. And most people will post 1 time then wont bother or will look at other threads and realise they dont want to bother being here, and who can blame them.

Best thing to do is just close this forum, and start again, this time with POSITIVE CRITERIA for moderation, not a negative one, that any and all posts MUST positively contribute, be on-topic, relevant, and add something positive to the discussion, with any mean-ness nastiness, or anything else which may offend or upset people disallowed. This kind of schoolyard half-policed method of moderation is NOT WORKING, harming this game, and harming FDev bottom line as it is diminishing the value of the Elite franchise.

And other game forums are NOT LIKE THIS ONE!!! There is no reason it is like this. The famous reputation this forum has needs changing, and a full hard reset is the right way to do it.

And here is another idea: Replace community managers with new hires from the PLAYER BASE who have at least 1000 hours in game. Then you will get people who know what ship they are flying at the very least. They actually do have love for this game, which is critical for that role, not just the pretend love that people have when they are paid to do a job. They will be able to give great feedback to the Devs and filter it through their own experience. There must be many players out there who would be willing, even on a part-time basis if their lives wont allow it.

Then these kind of mistakes, the Dev time needed to fix them, the money that costs, the reputation loss, the ed off players, and all of the money that costs. Someone higher up in FDev than the people who normally look after the forum need to understand this and make a management decision. Bad feedback is hurting your bottom line.

Dont care anymore.

Gavin786 (notice no CMDR Gavin786) Signing Off

OK so I have close on 3,000 hours in the game, have played for over four years and last played last night. Hope that meets your 'ACTUAL PLAYER BASE' test. Note, by 'hope' I mean 'really don't care'.

I've also mined since about 3-4 months into playing the game (so say around Jan/Feb 2016). I'm totally fine with these changes in principle and certainly won't be scrapping any of my three highly engineered mining ships. The one aspect of the changes that I do have an issue with is the way the bulk sales tax impacts price based on the amount of a commodity that you're carrying rather than the quantity you're actually intending to sell (because the effect is so pronounced with relatively low demand) and we've already had a post saying that aspect of it is going to be looked at.

The sheer amount of impotent rage you managed to get into your post is highly impressive though.

Last edited:
I don't mind mineral prices being cut. I don't mind if a new system favours smaller ships.

What I don't want - what I really don't want - is a system which makes it harder for me to find the best price for my minerals than it used to be.

I play this game to fly a spaceship, not do research for a Master's thesis in economics.

LTD price is not being cut its just jumped realy high again 1.4 to 1.6mill...
the magical combo of Boom, Civil Liberty, Expansion, Public Holiday hit the buying station... lol

And here is another idea: Replace community managers with new hires from the PLAYER BASE who have at least 1000 hours in game. Then you will get people who know what ship they are flying at the very least. They actually do have love for this game, which is critical for that role, not just the pretend love that people have when they are paid to do a job. They will be able to give great feedback to the Devs and filter it through their own experience. There must be many players out there who would be willing, even on a part-time basis if their lives wont allow it.
Gavin786 (notice no CMDR Gavin786) Signing Off

I fear you may have misunderstood the job of a Community Manager.

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Greetings Commanders,

We're rolling out a fix for an issue where the incorrect economy types had a demand for Low Temperature Diamonds. This correction should be live by the end of the day.

As stated in-game, Low Temperature Diamonds are consumed by the following economies: Tourism, High Tech, Industrial and Refinery.

We have updated and included this fix in the OP. Thanks for your understanding.

Greetings Commanders,

We're rolling out a fix for an issue where the incorrect economy types had a demand for Low Temperature Diamonds. This correction should be live by the end of the day.

As stated in-game, Low Temperature Diamonds are consumed by the following economies: Tourism, High Tech, Industrial and Refinery.

We have updated and included this fix in the OP. Thanks for your understanding.
So this is server side then ... ok

What were those atrocious new players thinking trying to make enough money to fly interesting ships.
How dare we try to make half what people used to make mining so we can afford things.
Guessing next paid release you'll add arx for credits to "compensate"
Guess you should be glad you didn't start playing a couple of years ago... Oddly enough, mining still an excellent way of making credits - just no longer the imaginary 200 million and hour 🤷‍♂️

What were those atrocious new players thinking trying to make enough money to fly interesting ships.
How dare we try to make half what people used to make mining so we can afford things.
Guessing next paid release you'll add arx for credits to "compensate"

You can still get into anything up to at least a Python in a day. An Anaconda, two days. If that doesn't fit your definition of reasonable, the problem is that you're playing the wrong game (or playing the right one badly) because honestly, that is STILL faster than it's been at pretty much any time since I started playing.

people crying about not being able to make tens to hundreds of millions of credits an hour are a cancer to this game. Hopefully when these methods all dry up due to corrections...they'll leave the game.

If the game is too boring playing it the way it's intended, then argue and make your case surrounding that. There's plenty of improvement that can be made there without making everything else in the game irrelevant.

Top Bottom