Notoriety

Hello fellow commanders,

the following just happed to me and I would like to hear your thoughts about it:

I played in a private group alone - a friend wanted to join later so I started alone.
I went bounty hunting in a high-res-extraction-zone. While I was fighting with a ship, I accidentially shot (and unfortunately killed) an already nearly dead eagle crossing my path of fire. At the same moment all of the security ships fired at me and I barely managed to escape. I accumulated a fine of 200 Creds and a bounty of 5000 Creds for murder.
I flew to a low-securtiy system to pay off my bounty. I could pay the fine, but not the bounty because I had accumulated 1 point of notoriety.
I did a bit of research and found out, that this deteriorates at a rate of 1 point per 2 hours game time. Well here is my problem: Sure I was a bit uncareful but having to wait for 2 hours before being able to enter my home system (all reputations maxed) again because of such a small slip is a bit to harsh in my opinion. I didn't kill another player... and the eagle was wanted anyway - the security was already blasting at him...
What do you think?

safe flying, commanders

Did you got Eagle targeted? But be careful of your surroundings when firing, especially in place where are many ships.

As for 2 hours - you can jump into different ship. Bounty is on ship.

This might be some corner case which I would say FD should void your 'non-scanning' accidental fire - if you didn't get it targeted of course.

Last edited:
Hello fellow commanders,

the following just happed to me and I would like to hear your thoughts about it:

I played in a private group alone - a friend wanted to join later so I started alone.
I went bounty hunting in a high-res-extraction-zone. While I was fighting with a ship, I accidentially shot (and unfortunately killed) an already nearly dead eagle crossing my path of fire. At the same moment all of the security ships fired at me and I barely managed to escape. I accumulated a fine of 200 Creds and a bounty of 5000 Creds for murder.
I flew to a low-securtiy system to pay off my bounty. I could pay the fine, but not the bounty because I had accumulated 1 point of notoriety.
I did a bit of research and found out, that this deteriorates at a rate of 1 point per 2 hours game time. Well here is my problem: Sure I was a bit uncareful but having to wait for 2 hours before being able to enter my home system (all reputations maxed) again because of such a small slip is a bit to harsh in my opinion. I didn't kill another player... and the eagle was wanted anyway - the security was already blasting at him...
What do you think?

safe flying, commanders

Yeah... this system is very short-sighted and invites A-Hole behavior. Same happened to me and now i have to spend 4 hours in open? Know what, i will pick a high traffic starport, land my large ship there and go out shopping for a few hours until this nonsense wears off.
Come on fdev, idea was good but no, you didn't think a lot about it! You really think anyone who usually avoids open play is now playing hours in open to get rid of that stupid notoriety?
It is a good idea against people who love to engage other players with their annoying piracy or ganking playstyle. But everyone else? Just annoying and a waste of energy while the pc/mac is running the game and we don't do anything.

Fix this please, come up with something better - at least separate notoriety of player and npc kills. Player = open, NPC = any game mode.

I mean.... its not like i really care, i fly a heavily armed shield tank. And since you don't do anything against combat logging... as i said, this invites unaesthetic behavior rather than bringing balance of some kind.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: Imo
Frankly this system is broken. I won't even play the game right now until this is fixed. Here's what happened to me...

I was in Niu Hsing (my home system) doing bounties in a hazres when I accidentally collided with a mining NPC that was being attacked. I was trying to save said NPC but inadvertently killed him, getting a 5k credit bounty on my head. Ok fine, my mistake. I accept the consequences of that. I went to pay my bounty and it wouldn't let me. That's when I learned about Notoriety. So I waited over 2 hours, bashing on pirates and passing the time. Went back to pay my bounty... still couldn't. Why? Because I usually play in private or solo. Notoriety doesn't tick down there, only in open.

So here I am in a busted up ship with no fuel, no fuel scoop, practically out of ammo, and can't access any of my other ships because of the anonymous protocol. I can't even fly off to another system and pay (and wait) to have a ship transported over because I am out of fuel. So I decide, forget it. I've got a bunch of bounties ready to claim, probably a couple mill in data, and it's going to cost another 4m rebuy, but if I can get on with my game, so be it. So I launch and suicide, knowing that I will wind up in the Citadel and will just have to fly back anyway. Except my notoriety STILL didn't go down. I STILL have a bounty. I STILL can't pay it off. And I STILL can't access my other ships or do anything else. All because I accidentally collided with an NPC ship that I was trying to save.

Not having fun here guys.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: Imo
Killing an npc or player doesn't matter, same rules.
I think the features work quite well. And I'm saying this as a player that has an anarchy PMF and more or less always have notoriety and bounties on my head

@Shinku Rei
Notoriety falls in all modes, not just open

Yeah, notoriety is bulshavik at the moment. If FD wants to apply it to NPC's as well, then make it 5 npc's per point, not one. That's just silly.

I thought notoriety was to punish and dissuade griefers and gankers, but instead it's punishing other players for simple mistakes.

Frankly this system is broken
Ok fine, my mistake. I accept the consequences of that. I went to pay my bounty and it wouldn't let me. That's when I learned about Notoriety. So I waited over 2 hours, bashing on pirates and passing the time. Went back to pay my bounty... still couldn't. Why? Because I usually play in private or solo. Notoriety doesn't tick down there, only in open.

Have you put a ticket in? may be a bug or something, because, if notoriety doesn't tick down in solo / private then you shouldn't be able to attain it in those modes, surely.

My main issue with notoriety is that it is the most "ungreen" mechanic that FDev have invented.

I get notoriety? I leave my box on all night, until it expires in the morning. I have to leave it on, as notoriety is not in the game world time, but in the real world playing time. That is not good for my electricity bill or the environment.

I'd prefer a longer notoriety tick-down, but it ticks down even if your not playing. More green.

BTW I also killed an NPC by accident that I was ironically trying to save from a pirate. Clearly - in the game rules - this is currently murder, there is no concept of manslaughter, or accidental killing, or mitigating circumstances [i.e. the NPC certainly lived at least 5 minutes longer than he would have done if I hadn't tried to help]. I am OK with this. C&P has always been annoying in ED, and it will continue to be - in a different way.

It seems justice isn't as easy as everyone would like to believe...

I though that accidental shooting that didn't kill something would only result in a fine and not aggro everyone?

I kind of find the new system to be a bit odd... Not that the old one was anything that made any sense. I did a surface scan mission last night and got a bounty... Flew to a low sec on my way to collect my reward. So it was nothing more than an inconvenience. Go to a planet, scan data point, get a bounty, fly to the interstellar feller, pay bounty, fly to station, get paid 1,000,000 - 500 cr. No real gameplay here, no real value. Just an annoyance.

It's not like you can avoid the bounty either, that would add gameplay... But no, if you want the money, you have waste time to fly over and pay the interstellar feller.

Last edited:
Where do you have to go to pay off powerplay bounties? For example if you have an Edmund Mahon bounty, can you pay it off at any Interstellar Faction or does it have to be a specific one?

Sandro Sammarco

Lead Designer
Frontier
Hello Commander Shinku Rei!

Frankly this system is broken. I won't even play the game right now until this is fixed. Here's what happened to me...

I was in Niu Hsing (my home system) doing bounties in a hazres when I accidentally collided with a mining NPC that was being attacked. I was trying to save said NPC but inadvertently killed him, getting a 5k credit bounty on my head. Ok fine, my mistake. I accept the consequences of that. I went to pay my bounty and it wouldn't let me. That's when I learned about Notoriety. So I waited over 2 hours, bashing on pirates and passing the time. Went back to pay my bounty... still couldn't. Why? Because I usually play in private or solo. Notoriety doesn't tick down there, only in open.

So here I am in a busted up ship with no fuel, no fuel scoop, practically out of ammo, and can't access any of my other ships because of the anonymous protocol. I can't even fly off to another system and pay (and wait) to have a ship transported over because I am out of fuel. So I decide, forget it. I've got a bunch of bounties ready to claim, probably a couple mill in data, and it's going to cost another 4m rebuy, but if I can get on with my game, so be it. So I launch and suicide, knowing that I will wind up in the Citadel and will just have to fly back anyway. Except my notoriety STILL didn't go down. I STILL have a bounty. I STILL can't pay it off. And I STILL can't access my other ships or do anything else. All because I accidentally collided with an NPC ship that I was trying to save.

Not having fun here guys.

Notoriety should decay during game play time regardless of which game mode you are in. If you find that Notoriety does not decay even though you are playing the game, please submit a ticket.

Hello Commander Shinku Rei!

Notoriety should decay during game play time regardless of which game mode you are in. If you find that Notoriety does not decay even though you are playing the game, please submit a ticket.

It's still an ungreen game mechanic. Bad for the environment. There should be a better solution. And - I actually quite like the idea of notoriety!

It's still an ungreen game mechanic. Bad for the environment. There should be a better solution. And - I actually quite like the idea of notoriety!

Not at all, It's only "ungreen" if you want to reduce notoriety by not playing the game. You do have the option to be responsible for your actions/mistakes by only running the game when you are actually playing it, instead of trying to game the system. Even if you insist on gaming the system, (and you actually do care about being green) you might have the option to source your electricity through more green friendly channels.

Ultimately it's not an ungreen mechanic, it's you that dictate that outcome via your choices & actions, in how you deal with it. Other people have the same choices and you can't control their actions, if you actually are worried about the other people aspect, there are more relevant organizations to approach than FD with regard to helping the environment.

Top Bottom