General / Off-Topic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is Burning

That sounds to me very much like a historical hangover that bears no real relevance to anything current.

Lol, as if cops never abuse their powers?

You just come off as envious.

:D

It's a civil rights issue too.
That was a platform of the Black Panthers, and represented a turning point in history.
The NRA and Rs were for gun control until fairly recently, but they acquiesced to the Black Panthers essentially.

Sort of opposite of the current narrative, but it's true.

Lol, as if cops never abuse their powers?

You just come off as envious.

:D

That was a platform of the Black Panthers, and represented a turning point in history.
The NRA and Rs were for gun control until fairly recently, but they acquiesced to the Black Panthers essentially.

Sort of opposite of the current narrative, but it's true.

Have the US army ever turned up wanting to move into your or anyone else's house in America in living memory ?. It sounds like a historical civil war statute, I just don't see it as even remotely relevant to modern times.

Have the US army ever turned up wanting to move into your or anyone else's house in America in living memory ?. It sounds like a historical civil war statute, I just don't see it as even remotely relevant to modern times.

Again, it's not about the military or police per se, but the individuals therein.

That is a strawman.

In fact, our former police chief and his wife the former prosecutor, here in peaceful Hawai'i, are currently embroiled in a huge federal case where they are the main defendants.
It runs the gamut from drugs to intimidation, fraud, you name it.

We had a drunk fed, fresh from the girly bars, shoot a guy dead in a fast food restaurant.

So, yeah, it still has merit.

I'm struggling to think of a single American who supports the Second Amendment who actually cares one way or the other what anyone else in the world thinks of their civil rights. If anything, they feel pity for those not as fortunate as they to live in a free society where their liberties and rights are backed up in fact and principle.

Can Europeans even go hunting? Is that even possible anywhere nowadays?

Again, it's not about the military or police per se, but the individuals therein.

That is a strawman.

No the point I'm making is you seem really chuffed that the military are not allowed to park an armoured regiment in your spare room, the question I'm asking is unless you are genuinely worried it might actually happen it seems a little pointless to be so pleased about it. I can't see any reason for believing it to be at all relevant to the 21st century.

We've got old laws that dictate things like everyone must practice the longbow on a Sunday, we just regard them as historical oddities.

Hunting in Europe? Of course, you aren't that uninformed surely?

Nah man, I am totally that uninformed. Please elaborate, because I'm asking a serious question: can you obtain a gun appropriate for hunting, and if yes, what kind? What are the restrictions/limitations to the ownership and use of a hunting firearm, if any? Where do you go to hunt, and what are the "rules" governing the act?

No the point I'm making is you seem really chuffed that the military are not allowed to park an armoured regiment in your spare room,

Don't lie.
Are you drunk again?
I specifically said it's not about the military per se.

the question I'm asking is unless you are genuinely worried it might actually happen it seems a little pointless to be so pleased about it. I can't see any reason for believing it to be at all relevant to the 21st century.

We've got old laws that dictate things like everyone must practice the longbow on a Sunday, we just regard them as historical oddities.

Something something repeating history...

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4vblG6BVQ

Nah man, I am totally that uninformed. Please elaborate, because I'm asking a serious question: can you obtain a gun appropriate for hunting, and if yes, what kind? What are the restrictions/limitations to the ownership and use of a hunting firearm, if any? Where do you go to hunt, and what are the "rules" governing the act?
Rifle license, firearms and ammunition to kept in a locked safe. As to where, it depends on what you were hunting.

Nah man, I am totally that uninformed. Please elaborate, because I'm asking a serious question: can you obtain a gun appropriate for hunting, and if yes, what kind? What are the restrictions/limitations to the ownership and use of a hunting firearm, if any?

Easily providing you comply with firearm and animal welfare legislation. Its not particularly popular though, and there's not much of a market at all for military gear its limited to actual hunting not just fetishizing guns.

Don't lie.
Are you drunk again?
I specifically said it's not about the military per se.

Something something repeating history...

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4vblG6BVQ

It is specifically about the military though according to your post, which I'm assuming you didn't make up :

"No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law."

You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Easily providing you comply with firearm and animal welfare legislation. Its not particularly popular though, and there's not much of a market at all for military gear its limited to actual hunting not just fetishizing guns.

It is specifically about the military though according to your post, which I'm assuming you didn't make up :

You seem to be contradicting yourself.

No that was for context, in that it's not about granting right to the people, but limiting the government.
That's what the whole document is about.
It's responding to the misconstrued portion of the 2nd, which is the topic at hand.

I never suggested I was worrying about anything.
Yes, it's absolutely a historical document.
But it's not an obscure one, lol!

It frames everything going forward.

And your gov't has shot unarmed civilians, pretty recently too, so you don't need to look to me to see the rationale.

No that was for context, in that it's not about granting right to the people, but limiting the government.
That's what the whole document is about.
It's responding to the misconstrued portion of the 2nd, which is the topic at hand.

I never suggested I was worrying about anything.
Yes, it's absolutely a historical document.
But it's not an obscure one, lol!

It frames everything going forward.

And your gov't has shot unarmed civilians, pretty recently too, so you don't need to look to me to see the rationale.

Time for you to lay off the onionhead I think.

Iow
"Since we need to arm some people, that right of the rest of the people must not be infringed."

Amendment 3 goes on to state they can't just move into your house either.

"No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law."

The context seems very clear to me.

lol

From each according to their ability to each according to their needs is arguably the most insidiously evil social concept I've ever heard of.

I feel similarly about concepts such as work ethic and the idea that valuing labor for it's own sake is a path to reward, rather than a carrot dangled in front of slaves to keep them in line while others benefit from their labor.

Most of humanity is dirt poor and most of them will work themselves to death in a losing battle to elevate themselves or their children. It doesn't have to be this way, but as long as enough people think Jeff Bezos somehow single handedly works harder, or is somehow smarter, than the sum of the billion poorest people on Earth, that's the way things will stay.

It's naive to think that you can have that without a club over people's heads. That system is a fantastic definition of over bearing government coercion and regulation, which is why I'm surprised to hear you espouse it as some kind of worthy ideal.

Other people able to lay claim to the fruits of my industry, financial risk taking, hard work and entrepreneurship simply because they don't/haven't exhibited those survival traits is a downright horror.

I help those around me, in those communities I choose to be a part of, free of charge. There is no club over my head, no coercion, and no governance involved in this. I simply share what I am able when I feel I am able. It's basic enlightened self-interest and reciprocity.

If someone doesn't want to behave in a reciprocal manner, that's unfortunate, but entirely their choice. I can and will charge them for what I'd happily give away otherwise.

No one, other than certain governments, presumes to lay claim to anything of mine, and I give them such a runaround for it that I they have to be paying upwards of ten dollars for every one I end up surrendering to them. Indeed, if it weren't for their imposition, I'd have very little use for money.

There are two kinds of people in America who think that's a good idea: the type at the very top who live in exquisite luxury while preaching the social glories and philosophical benefits of breadlines (think Bernie Sanders, or perhaps James Cameron) reaping the benefits of a labor force working under these conditions, and those with their hands out.

Well, I'm certainly neither of these.

No, violent crime rate in my country(USA) was almost double what it is today.

I've always been optimistic about the utility of violence!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

Even if you take that completely literally, every male between the age of majority and 54, if i recall correctly, in the United States is a member of the militia of the United States. And since it's now rightly illegal to discriminate on basis of gender in this regard, any legal challenge to the Militia Acts would certainly result in that applying to everyone.

Gun control is disproportionately applied to minorities and other marginalized groups. Far easier for a well-off white to get through all the red tape and cover all the licensing fees, especially for some classes of weapons. How many Class 3 licenses or NFA Gun Trusts are in the hands of someone who isn't making six or more figures a year? Who other than the rich can afford the pre-1986 grandfathered firearms still on the market?

This is one of the reasons I'm opposed to gun control it in essentially all it's forms. It's intrinsically discriminatory.

European supressor laws are often way better!

My hypothesis is that anti-gun fanatics in the US want to punish firearm owners with premature hearing issues, purely out of spite. It's the only logical reason for limiting access to suppressors.

Gun control is disproportionately applied to minorities and other marginalized groups. Far easier for a well-off white to get through all the red tape and cover all the licensing fees, especially for some classes of weapons. How many Class 3 licenses or NFA Gun Trusts are in the hands of someone who isn't making six or more figures a year? Who other than the rich can afford the pre-1986 grandfathered firearms still on the market?

This is one of the reasons I'm opposed to gun control it in essentially all it's forms. It's intrinsically discriminatory.

I love how David Hogg was touring with armed guards.

I feel similarly about concepts such as work ethic and the idea that valuing labor for it's own sake is a path to reward, rather than a carrot dangled in front of slaves to keep them in line while others benefit from their labor.

Most of humanity is dirt poor and most of them will work themselves to death in a losing battle to elevate themselves or their children. It doesn't have to be this way, but as long as enough people think Jeff Bezos somehow single handedly works harder, or is somehow smarter, than the sum of the billion poorest people on Earth, that's the way things will stay.

I help those around me, in those communities I choose to be a part of, free of charge. There is no club over my head, no coercion, and no governance involved in this. I simply share what I am able when I feel I am able. It's basic enlightened self-interest and reciprocity.

If someone doesn't want to behave in a reciprocal manner, that's unfortunate, but entirely their choice. I can and will charge them for what I'd happily give away otherwise.

No one, other than certain governments, presumes to lay claim to anything of mine, and I give them such a runaround for it that I they have to be paying upwards of ten dollars for every one I end up surrendering to them. Indeed, if it weren't for their imposition, I'd have very little use for money.

Well, I'm certainly neither of these.

What do you mean with your fist point concerning labor? In our capitalistic system you are free to rise from the lowliest slums to the high rises apartments of the billionaires, or not rise at all; it's up to you, completely possible, but not guaranteed.

On your second point: all the dirt poor, uneducated labor in the world didn't create Amazon: Jeff Bezos did. Without Jeff Bezos, we would not have Amazon. Labor can be found anywhere, people who can create such powerful utilities as Amazon cannot. As long as you're just grumbling about how wealthy he is, that's perfectly fine. Jealousy and covetousness are common human traits. But when you endorse Karl Marx's ideology you're implying the use of force to regulate his wealth in order to redistribute his wealth because you personally have deemed him unfit. Which seems incongrous with the rest of your positions. Curiously, how much do you think he should keep and why? And if you have an answer to that, is it okay for people who are lower on the socio economic scale then you are to look at your wealth and lay claim to it? If so, how much and how should your own wealth be redistributed to the less fortunate?

On your third point about your volunteer work: good for you my friend. As long as it's voluntary that's fantastic. Unfortunately the statement "from each according to their ability to each according to their need" had nothing whatsoever to do with voluntary charity, but rather is the Marxist doctrine that allowed the government to take the fruits of your industry, risk management, entrepreneurialship, hard work and creative genius by force and distribute it to the masses who displayed none of these survival attributes or tendencies.

Just in case the mods look at this and start freaking out: please understand that there is nothing political about this post whatsoever; it's purely economical.

Top Bottom