General / Off-Topic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is Burning

Renovation was under way, so an accident is more likely than arson.

York Minster was repaired well after the fire there as the buildings shell was OK, here's hoping the damage isn't too bad.

Its not just the structure, which might end up ok.

Tho a tower collapsed.

But the paintings, the frescoes, the stained glass, the wooden frame.

All gone. I'm literally crying while typing this. :cry:

Last edited:

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
That's quite a blow to lose something with such historical and cultural significance.
I hope no one was hurt or injured, at least.

Really awful this. Loss of the building is probably recoverable with enough money and time. The antiquities inside are a different story.

Seemed like a plodding response from the fire dept though.

Here they were, doing some light engineering on the place, and griefers... or thargoids... No respect...

Seriously though, this is just... there're just no words, and just before Easter too. It's going to take some time for Paris to recover from this.

Renovation was under way, so an accident is more likely than arson.

York Minster was repaired well after the fire there as the buildings shell was OK, here's hoping the damage isn't too bad.
Sure accidents do happen, however in a building with this historic value, i'm sure they just don't let any Joe nobody work unsupervised, and when I see how hysterical they are enforcing safety regulation at construction sites I find it very peculiar, but I digress.

Sure accidents do happen, however in a building with this historic value, i'm sure they just don't let any Joe nobody work unsupervised, and when I see how hysterical they are enforcing safety regulation at construction sites I find it very peculiar, but I digress.
You have no idea how government contracts work, do you. They are required by law to hire the cheapest contractor, not the best.

You have no idea how government contracts work, do you. They are required by law to hire the cheapest contractor, not the best.
Still there are safety regulations the need to be in place, we are often the cheapest solution, still we as the contractor are responsible for any damage that will occur during the construction, hence the hysterical control, I really cant imagine a company would just do any hot work without strict control and countermeasures in place before doing anything that could cause a fire.

We were in Paris a few years back and missed it for some reason...probably already saw too many things and I could barely walk with my stick at the time... Shame, it's too late now.

Still there are safety regulations the need to be in place, we are often the cheapest solution, still we as the contractor are responsible for any damage that will occur during the construction, hence the hysterical control, I really cant imagine a company would just do any hot work without strict control and countermeasures in place before doing anything that could cause a fire.

A firm of contractors were burning rubbish and left it smoldering at an Army base I was at, the smoldering went under their oxy-acetylene tanks that night and blew the windows in on half the building. The work they were doing was blast proofing.

A firm of contractors were burning rubbish and left it smoldering at an Army base I was at, the smoldering went under their oxy-acetylene tanks that night and blew the windows in on half the building. The work they were doing was blast proofing.
LOL, yeah I know, the world is full of idiots....still, maybe i'm just used to all the control I forgot how it is out there :D

Top Bottom