General / Off-Topic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is Burning

there go about 800 years of a symbol of repression. i'll get over it. wait a sec, i think i just found a tiny little tear ...

nope, false alarm. i must have shed all my empathy for the poor souls who lost their lives building that atrocity in the first place. oh well ...

Maybe it's a sign...

Last edited:
York Minster, Windsor Castle, Glasgow School of Art (Rennie Macintosh).. latter burnt twice! Now Notre Dame.. ALL fires caused by 'contractors' supposed to reclaim and save not destroy!

This makes me very sad. The one silver lining / ray of hope I can think of is that we live in an age of digital marvels, so someday it will likely be possible to reproduce both the building and the art with amazing detail in a future high-definition virtual reality. Obviously not the same as the real thing, but it's something.

York Minster, Windsor Castle, Glasgow School of Art (Rennie Macintosh).. latter burnt twice! Now Notre Dame.. ALL fires caused by 'contractors' supposed to reclaim and save not destroy!
Now if that was Westminster Palace; there would not be, any tears there.

This makes me very sad. The one silver lining / ray of hope I can think of is that we live in an age of digital marvels, so someday it will likely be possible to reproduce both the building and the art with amazing detail in a future high-definition virtual reality. Obviously not the same as the real thing, but it's something.
i would say that alot of the stuff, below ground level; should be OK. Maybe water damaged.

Good news !
Just now it was reported on TV that the main structure of the building was saved !

It means that the stone walls and the bell towers wont collapse.

They also said that starting tomorrow a public fund will be collected to rebuild the church.

I tip my hat to the firefighters, tonight they acted heroically.
Saving most of the art work, and controlling the fire that was starting to eat the eastern bell tower.

One of the wealthiest organisations, on the planet: Needs funds, to rebuild; one of its, most profitable assets?
So much easier to get teary-eyed and appeal to base emotions with your hand out.
Then the next set of contractors screw it up...

Top Bottom