NPC Interdiction?

When I have a cargo bay, even when empty, it seems I get interdicted by an NPC.

Is this the "Qualifier" for NPC interdiction, just having a cargo bay?

I can see an interdiction if you have something of value in it, but to interdict you just because you have one empty seems a bit extreme.

Anyone think this is a bug?

o7....

Not all NPC's have Manifest scanners I imagine, so they don't know that it's empty.

Put something valuable in it and you'll find yourself interdicted by NPC pirates more frequently, so there's more to their decision making than just having the cargo rack. I can't remember the last time I had an NPC interdict me with empty racks (though I know it has happened)....but with a hold full of gold I got interdicted 3 times just now cruising from the star to the station where I planned to sell.

edit: Come to think of it, doesn't a manifest scanner require you to be in normal space to use? So even if they have one, they need to interdict you in order to scan you to see if you're carrying anything good.

I'm going to vote "not a bug" because it makes total sense.

Last edited:
I'm starting to notice a shift in NPC chat where they're starting to gank me rather than ask for cargo ("I'm not going to scan you, I'll just shoot you and scoop up whats left"), so maybe this is a change in behaviour.

I'm starting to notice a shift in NPC chat where they're starting to gank me rather than ask for cargo ("I'm not going to scan you, I'll just shoot you and scoop up whats left"), so maybe this is a change in behaviour.
I only see that behaviour when I'm running missions. Mission NPC's do take a shoot first, ask questions later approach. I have never been interdicted by just random NPCs who are immidiately hostile for no reason. It's either pirates who scan my cargo hold and only turn hostile if I have goodies or the authorities pulling me over when it's not mission related. Powerplay would add other types of hostilities, I assume, but I don't participate in that yet.

Sometimes NPC pirates just interdict you to check what's inside of your ship. No particular trigger, it's just random.

There are two types of NPCs that will interdict you for cargo. One type knows when you have stuff on board and you can expect to have to fight them or comply with their demands. They have a chance of spawning in any inhabited system whenever you enter a supercruise instance and are scripted to go after you.

The other type is just regular background NPCs that fly aroud in supercruise and do their own thing. They mostly prowl the shipping lanes and will interdict ships at random, looking for cargo. Sometimes it will be you, often it will be other NPCs (there are more NPCs than there are you).

Having no cargo prevents the first type from spawning, whereas having no cargo (or cargo bay) will not have any impact on the likelyhood the second type interdicts you since it's impossible to use a cargo scanner in supercruise.

The other type is just regular background NPCs that fly aroud in supercruise and do their own thing. They mostly prowl the shipping lanes and will interdict ships at random, looking for cargo. Sometimes it will be you, often it will be other NPCs (there are more NPCs than there are you).
Do you know if system security level is a factor for how many of this type of NPC is in a system? I feel like I see them a lot more often in lower security (or anarchy) systems.

Do you know if system security level is a factor for how many of this type of NPC is in a system? I feel like I see them a lot more often in lower security (or anarchy) systems.
Anecdotally I would say yes. But I must stress I can't point to either any specific post by Frontier saying so, or to any test conducted by players. I also couldn't say whether that's a direct function of the security level, or a function of the influence level of the factions and their respective government types in a system impacting the spawn rate (mind you I'm not aware of anybody establishing definitely that spawn rates are directly linked to influence either).
It's actually on my list of things to test, but I'm currently 25k ly from the bubble, with a 30ly jump range. If you want a better and quicker answer, I would recommend you ask Ian Doncaster.

There's basically 5 archetypes of NPCs that'll Interdict you.

1) classic Pirate NPC
- trigger : Cargo hold exceeds threshold in terms of Value, will announce itself "That's the big haul I'm looking for!"; highest chances in LowSec/Anarchy Systems
-> will follow Pirating rules (see below)

2) random Pirate NPC
- trigger : you're not having much or any Reputation in the System and it's LowSec/Anarchy, will not announce itself except for offensive maneuvering in SuperCruise and Wanted Tag
-> will follow Pirating rules (see below)

3) Mission-based Opposition NPC
- trigger : you carry one or more Missions, will typically be announced via Inbox from Mission-giver 10-15sec before the NPC spawns

4) System Authority NPCs
- trigger : you're Wanted and hold no or poor Reputation with the Controlling Faction, higher chances in HighSec Systems (but still a rare occasion overall)

5) System Defence Force NPCs
- trigger : you hold no or poor Reputation with the Controlling Faction, which is at War or Civil War, at establish of tether transmits "This is a Military Intervention"

Note that Pirate NPCs will not open fire after Interdiction, provided :
  • you hold no valuable enough or any Cargo
  • and you do not move more than 1000m from the drop-in point
  • and you do not charge FSD before the Pirate Manifest Scan has completed
  • if holding valuable Cargo, you meet the demand of the Pirate (it'll cease fire once sufficient Cargo is dropped)
If you stick to those rules of the road, you'll basically never get into trouble. If you do, at least you'll know why.

PS.
I >did< have a single event recently where I submitted (after a longer fight) in a T9. The NPC apparently didn't like the long Interdiction fight and immediately started firing with a Message similar to "Ha! No need to scan! You're space dust now.".
Haven't seen that in a very long time though, unsure if that's something new.

I used to treat "empty" interdictions as a bug. Still am but it adds to the flavor when you can be jumped upon even when just transiting. My favorite type of interdictions are thos that happen AFTER you drop to your destination. Happened 3 times yesterday while I was in my T-9.

3 jump trip, 1 jump before target system - pirate. FSD out, align and just fly. Pirate pop on radar. I'm already decelerating, awaiting interdiction. <1Mm, dropping SC, aligning with station, asking for landing, throttle down for auto land (in big ships I recently started using DC).

Pirate bangs in somewhere beside me.
"Now you die"
<disappears>
Huh? Someone say something? <sips tea to Strauss>

I had a particularly nasty PvE "gank" running a mission for the Empire a couple of evenings ago. Interdicted literally as I dropped out of hyperspace next to the star. The escape vector disappeared downward into the corona and two seconds later, interdiction successful. In that location, running a T10 with average shields and minimal weapons no chance of recharging the FSD, hello Rebuy screen.

Oh, there are also bounty hunters when you have a big enough bounty to attract them. Then powerplay enemies can interdict you, though very rarely. And if you defect from your PP faction, you can get followed by killers from your old faction, though last that happened they had no frame shift drive interdictor installed and just followed you around throwing bad words at you.

Any NPC that announced (or just decided without announcement) to try an interdiction will drop in when you low wake after a time. Also, a system pirate ending up with a mission pirate may start attacking the mission pirate first.

Then powerplay enemies can interdict you, though very rarely.
Did that once not be a thing in PP? I left powerplay pretty early on as I was very low rank with my power (had only been in it for maybe 3 weeks and not really aggressively pursuing progress). The thing that drove me out? Had constant interdictions by an NPC wing from an opposing power that was pretty much all Deadly rated (lead antagonist flew an Annie, supported by three Pythons), and they would hound me everywhere. At the time, was not a great combat pilot (who am I kidding, I'm at best passable today) but also was generally flying trade ships. Best way to compare it was like having dedicated mission enemies, except I had no mission and this went on for a straight week while I was mostly just bulk hauling.

At that point, I basically decided PP was crimping my fun, and left my pledged power. The attacks of course immediately ceased, and I haven't bothered with it since.

Following on from my experience related above, I just hauled 448 tonnes of gold across Empire space with a profit margin of nigh on 1 million credits, was expecting several brutal interdictions and got... none!

Top Bottom