Number of Players

Hello everyone, once again trying to keep the hype at bay by discussing things here.

So I have a question: the most common criticism made to ED usually involves something about the number of players in the galaxy you actually get to meet/interact with. Personally, I think this is mostly from people that are used to very different kinds of MMORPGs, and I am not bothered by this. But I do have one curiosity: is there some place where one can find some reliable stats for the total number of players on PC and on XBOX at the moment? I would expect the former number to be higher than the latter, but how much? And how obvious is this difference while playing (for people that played on both platforms). Thanks!

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Hello everyone, once again trying to keep the hype at bay by discussing things here.

So I have a question: the most common criticism made to ED usually involves something about the number of players in the galaxy you actually get to meet/interact with. Personally, I think this is mostly from people that are used to very different kinds of MMORPGs, and I am not bothered by this. But I do have one curiosity: is there some place where one can find some reliable stats for the total number of players on PC and on XBOX at the moment? I would expect the former number to be higher than the latter, but how much? And how obvious is this difference while playing (for people that played on both platforms). Thanks!

I don't think there is, some people try to extrapolate numbers from Steam (~9000 peak today) but who knows the real number. Maybe FDev do but they don't publish it. Does Xbox have stats for players of certain games? I guess unlike MMOs traditionally (Like EVE Online which has server stats) its difficult for anyone on the outside to know exactly.

Last edited:
I don't think there is, some people try to extrapolate numbers from Steam (~9000 peak today) but who knows the real number. Maybe FDev do but they don't publish it. Does Xbox have stats for players of certain games? I guess unlike MMOs traditionally (Like EVE Online which has server stats) its difficult for anyone on the outside to know exactly.

Oh well, not a bitg deal. As far as I understand the XBOX community is still large enough to have fun, so considering that PS4 has actually got a larger base, it'll be as good or better :)

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I am going to meet and see random players on PS4 though, right?

If you have access to the multi-player game modes - on the XB1, as an example of how it's handled on the other console version, Xbox Live Gold membership is required to access them - Silver membership only grants access to Solo.

If you have access to the multi-player game modes - on the XB1, as an example of how it's handled on the other console version, Xbox Live Gold membership is required to access them - Silver membership only grants access to Solo.

Thank you.

Yes I have PSN Plus being the equivalent to Xbox Gold, so that is good to hear.

If the multi-player is run P2P and everything else is on frontier's servers, isn't that a slight mickeytake by Microsoft and Sony?
Not a moan, although this bus was late so I'm surely allowed a little one ;)

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I was impressed to see over 7.1k people watching the live stream today. Awesome [up]

If the multi-player is run P2P and everything else is on frontier's servers, isn't that a slight mickeytake by Microsoft and Sony?
Not a moan, although this bus was late so I'm surely allowed a little one ;)

To be honest all of my friends have PS+. Its like ~£33 a year if you can find a good discounted source (usually CDKeys is very good. Currently £33.15 with Facebook link). Not a big deal in my opinion and LittleBigPlanet 3 was one of the games this month. Anyone who plays any online games already on the PS4 has PS+.

Last edited:
PS+ Is worth it just for the free games you can stock up on as well, I always get more value in freebies over the year then the cost plus.

Ok so you don't always get titles you will play but all it takes is 1-2 that you do and there you have your value.

I was impressed to see over 7.1k people watching the live stream today. Awesome [up]

To be honest all of my friends have PS+. Its like ~£33 a year if you can find a good discounted source (usually CDKeys is very good. Currently £33.15 with Facebook link). Not a big deal in my opinion and LittleBigPlanet 3 was one of the games this month. Anyone who plays any online games already on the PS4 has PS+.

PS+ Is worth it just for the free games you can stock up on as well, I always get more value in freebies over the year then the cost plus.

Ok so you don't always get titles you will play but all it takes is 1-2 that you do and there you have your value.

Don't get me wrong, I have had ps+ for years and been on gold since the real xbox one live beta days. Both are well worth it for the 'free' games.

I just think it's a little bit of a cheek when they force players to have gold or ps+ to play a multi-player game that they don't host on their controlled servers.

Some other publishers who have more financial clout than FD have managed to negotiate (pay?) out of that requirement for some multiplayer games because they know it can bring in a larger playerbase.

Anyway, little moan over, this morning's bus is on time :)

And buy ps+/gold if you can, it's worth it.

Top Bottom