Guide / Tutorial Nutter’s explorers guide to the Galaxy

I know this was written two years ago, but is this still the case? It is my understanding by what I read that deep explorations pretty much require a repair unit or your efforts will be short lived. I have also read that some folks have two so one can repair the other.

It is now recommended (at least by me) to take an AFMU since it can now also repair cracks in the windshield. It could not do that when the guide was written. Note that the AFMU still can not repair damage to your powerplant or your ship hull. But the AFMU is not required, it is still very possible to explore without having an AFMU as long as you are careful and not crash into too many stars.

Also, what if I'm in deep deep into the galaxy but want to log in for a day and hop into my docked vulture two thousand lights years away to do some combat. I can't until I fly back to civilization, can I?
That is correct, you can not switch to your docked vulture to do combat unless you travel to the station that has your vulture. But I think you can still do arena pvp even if you are a long way from civilization.

I do wish Frontier would add functionality to have several commanders tied to an account so you can have an explorer, a trader, a bounty hunter, a pirate etc depending on what you want to role play today.

I just want to ask what money will i get for just "pinging" a star system?
And i think to get my name on new discovered objects i have to surface scan it (and get the data home), right?

I just want to ask what money will i get for just "pinging" a star system?
And i think to get my name on new discovered objects i have to surface scan it (and get the data home), right?

1) a few thousand credits maybe. Depends on the number of objects in the system.
2) Yes

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. Just completed the first mission and netted about 200k credits Going to try the second one later

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm now at the centre of the galaxy mining neutron stars to get to elite. If my calculation is correct, you get about 20K for a neutron star, and you need 160 mill to get to elite, that means scanning 8000 neutron stars. I understand you get 50% extra for a first discovery, but here is the question: If it says "undiscovered" and you scan it first, but you deliver it months later, and someone has already sold the data for the same star, do you still get the +50 or does it go to the other player? Also, is there a current chart for planet "worth"? I want to know if the 20k for neutron stars is accurate...

Not aware of a recent value chart, but remember that showing undiscovered in your nav pane only means you haven't scanned it personally. You need to look for a first discovered tag in the system map to know for sure if you discovered it first before someone else sold the data

Not aware of a recent value chart, but remember that showing undiscovered in your nav pane only means you haven't scanned it personally. You need to look for a first discovered tag in the system map to know for sure if you discovered it first before someone else sold the data
yes I'm aware of that, but my question is: I found a star that was "undiscovered" and scanned it, but i'm planning on scanning stars for at least a month, and I want to know if somebody scans the same star and delivers before I do, that I still get dibs...

yeah, it is. sadly its also very old..
I feel like an entitled [derogatory word] but.. dear nutter, do you think you could maybe look over your initial post and if you have time and motivation maybe give some "modernized" versions where information isnt correct anymore?

pretty please?:eek:

yeah, it is. sadly its also very old..
I feel like an entitled [derogatory word] but.. dear nutter, do you think you could maybe look over your initial post and if you have time and motivation maybe give some "modernized" versions where information isnt correct anymore?

pretty please?:eek:

I do intend to refresh the info, I need to make some fresh videos and such. I did update the body values to the 2.3 rates... Watch this space... see what I did there? :0

Any one still finding the odd planet orbiting through the rocky rings of other planets in 2017 ?

If so don't post location here as FD have a habit of repositioning the planet out side the rings, if they get any hint of where they are.

On an added note, you can't crash into celestial bodies, so don't be afraid to get too close. You even can emergency-stop every supercuise by heading straight for a star or planet. Note that this is likely to cause you heat damage, the only thing to be afraid of when dealing with celestial bodies. An invisible wall will keep you from crashing, and a warning message will tell you that you can't get any closer.

I misused the basic discovery scanner the whole time though. Thanks for that.

I took your advice and investigated a black hole up close. My ship vision started getting distorted and it built up heat to 300%. I couldn't turn modules off before they got destroyed, and finally my ship blew up 1400ly away + 6hrs of finessed planet scans lost. Thanks.

I took your advice and investigated a black hole up close. My ship vision started getting distorted and it built up heat to 300%. I couldn't turn modules off before they got destroyed, and finally my ship blew up 1400ly away + 6hrs of finessed planet scans lost. Thanks.

Congratulations on following advice in a thread started in 2014 that even mentions BETA 1.1 in the first post.....

To paraphrase Larry Niven, I guess this is an example of evolution in action....

Congratulations on following advice in a thread started in 2014 that even mentions BETA 1.1 in the first post.....

To paraphrase Larry Niven, I guess this is an example of evolution in action....

It's still very relevant. I'm not really going to read through 114 pages to find if someone has corrected what people say or if things have changed a bit though. I knew I should have just ignored the posts in here altogether because of that.

Top Bottom