nVidia 3D Vision Setup

Hi,
So I'm using an Asus 27" 3D 120Mhz monitor with the NVidia 3D Vision glasses. I managed to get it configured so that the 3D works on start up of the game, but the HUD details on the Python are "sheared" across the cockpit instruments and the outside view, ie. the HUD info that is displayed across the window appears to be set further back than the HUD info over the console. Is this a bug or is there a way to reposition so that's it's all on the same plane?
As it is it's quite hard to read the info displayed on the HUD.

ps. I've installed the Helix mod as well.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Hi,
So I'm using an Asus 27" 3D 120Mhz monitor with the NVidia 3D Vision glasses. I managed to get it configured so that the 3D works on start up of the game, but the HUD details on the Python are "sheared" across the cockpit instruments and the outside view, ie. the HUD info that is displayed across the window appears to be set further back than the HUD info over the console. Is this a bug or is there a way to reposition so that's it's all on the same plane?
As it is it's quite hard to read the info displayed on the HUD.

ps. I've installed the Helix mod as well.

It has been like that since I first tried it during the Beta before release. To me it looks like a 1960/70s 3D arcade game, with objects on different levels placed further away.
I was quite disappointed.

• Like (+1)
It has been like that since I first tried it during the Beta before release. To me it looks like a 1960/70s 3D arcade game, with objects on different levels placed further away.
I was quite disappointed.

Such a pity, hopefully it's something they can resolve. I was hoping to play it in 3D.

Such a pity, hopefully it's something they can resolve. I was hoping to play it in 3D.
You can. It takes a 3rd party mod called Helix. I used to use it, but my 3D monitor is no longer my main monitor and the hassle of swapping monitors and re-enabling the mod every time FD releases an update got old.

I'll go find the details and post them in this thread.

[update 2] fixed some of the links...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/341008-Just-got-a-Nvidia-3D-Vision-Monitor-Help

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/882500/3d-vision/elite-dangerous-fix/

Here's a link to the actual mod: http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2016/09/elite-dangerous-sept-6-2016-update-by.html There are 2 entries in the list for Elite Dangerous, you should read them both, earlier post first. You may need to adjust the NVidia "compatibility mode" until the cockpit is at the right depth and not stretched or sheared.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/364116-Latest-patch-seems-to-have-broken-the-Helix-mod

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/373710-Solution-to-borked-Helix-Mod-install

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/341008-Just-got-a-Nvidia-3D-Vision-Monitor-Help

I felt that the skybox was "too close" and the galaxy had a strange warping (not at the same depth as the stars), so I tweaked some of the files, to improve it. If you're interested, I've posted those files to OneDrive. Save the files you downloaded above and put the whole Helix Mod folder (including the ShaderFixes and Removed subfolders) in C:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments

Here's the link: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aj2gdTGJyh_31VS8C7M3UCzNTQYb

Last edited:
One other note: The galaxy and system maps aren't really usable with a mouse in 3D. Read the discussions on using a HOTAS (if you own one) and the maps. Or you could do what I did, I used the 2D/3D button on the NVidia IR puck, to switch to 2D for the maps. There's also a key command to toggle it.

Last edited:
One other note: The galaxy and system maps aren't really usable with a mouse in 3D. Read the discussions on using a HOTAS (if you own one) and the maps. Or you could do what I did, I used the 2D/3D button on the NVidia IR puck, to switch to 2D for the maps. There's also a key command to toggle it.

Thanks for the Helix info, I'll check it out!

Does anyone still use 3d vision?

The other night on impulse i dug up the kit.. its so close...

• On the normal mode the hud is screwed if you want to add any decent amount of convergence to it (and fundamentally bugged).
  • On compatibility mode, which claims to have excellent support, all lights seem broken / floating / escaping the rest of the scene, but the hud is perfect.

If there are any tips to get something working, would be great. Also the helix mods seems to have removed the page for elite.

Any tips appreciated.

Well which fix did you use? I am not remembering any issues with adding connvergance?

Still experimenting. First let me say, if you just switch to compatibility mode with zero depth and the lowest convergence, it works perfectly. Its the lowest possible / non existent 3d effect, all it really does is make the hud pop off the rest of everything else. Its a good effect, but not very impressive.

As soon as you start turning up the 3d dial though, ive found that both modes have compromises:

For normal mode:

• The hud is generally broken which you have to live with. But it becomes unreadable with minimal increases because it seems to be drawn behind the cockpit in some odd manner.
  • The lights, system map, stars in game, nebulas etc are drawn perfectly.

For compatibility mode:

• The hud is flawless whatever the depth / convergence.
  • Light sources get screwed up as you increase.
  • The galactic plane, nebulas, stars up close (black outline) are drawn incorrectly and are very distracting.

So doesn't matter which way you choose you can't have nice things.. unless you leave the 3d settings at the lowest possible.

Still trying to find the perfect balance of depth + convergence for the normal mode (the broken galactic plane and nebulas are too much).

... Or i could just get into Subnautica. With the injected fixes its insanely good.... pretty much what it is in vr (i had a go at it with trinus) without the motion sickness.

Well I don't ever remember the HUD being an issue with convergence.. Perhaps something changed since it was last updated in the game..

VR it looks really good tho ;)

Still experimenting...
For compatibility mode:
  • The hud is flawless whatever the depth / convergence.
  • Light sources get screwed up as you increase.
  • The galactic plane, nebulas, stars up close (black outline) are drawn incorrectly and are very distracting.
I gave up on nVidia 3D Vision, since I had to reconfigure it every time there was a new ED update. Compatibility mode is best. You need to use the Helix mod. https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2016/09/elite-dangerous-sept-6-2016-update-by.html Also, nVidia has stopped supporting 3D Vision, so you will need to use an older driver version.

Even that is not perfect. I customized my scripts, to move the stars much further away (they seemed to only be about 30 ft / 10 m away). I could never get the galaxy fully behind the stars. It was far away in the middle of the screen, but appeared as an arc and was nearer than the stars on my left and right (even before my change to the star distance) and I also moved the galaxy as far back as I could.

PM me if you want my customized files, but be warned: they are ~2 years out-of-date.

My advice is to do what I did: Buy a VR headset. I got a Pimax 8K, but it requires a bit of DIY tweaking for an optimum experience. I really like the wide FOV (field of view), but another brand would probably be simpler to set up. If you do consider the Pimax, it might be best to wait for their upcoming 8KX model, which is supposed to be released later this year. (I plan to upgrade to that model.)

Last edited:
I gave up on nVidia 3D Vision, since I had to reconfigure it every time there was a new ED update. Compatibility mode is best. You need to use the Helix mod. https://helixmod.blogspot.com/2016/09/elite-dangerous-sept-6-2016-update-by.html Also, nVidia has stopped supporting 3D Vision, so you will need to use an older driver version.

Even that is not perfect. I customized my scripts, to move the stars much further away (they seemed to only be about 30 ft / 10 m away). I could never get the galaxy fully behind the stars. It was far away in the middle of the screen, but appeared as an arc and was nearer than the stars on my left and right (even before my change to the star distance) and I also moved the galaxy as far back as I could.

PM me if you want my customized files, but be warned: they are ~2 years out-of-date.

My advice is to do what I did: Buy a VR headset. I got a Pimax 8K, but it requires a bit of DIY tweaking for an optimum experience. I really like the wide FOV (field of view), but another brand would probably be simpler to set up. If you do consider the Pimax, it might be best to wait for their upcoming 8KX model, which is supposed to be released later this year. (I plan to upgrade to that model.)

Thanks for the correct link.. the rest of the internet links to a helixmod page for elite that's been removed.

That looks like a fierce amount of work, and im running reshade so can you have more than one thing injected into directx?

I disagree about 3d vision. Its the same stereoscopic 3d as vr but without the motion sickness. I bought it back in 2010 and dug all the kit up on a whim a few weeks ago.. really happy i did because this time around im loving it. Im not sure about elite.. but there is a gem that works brilliantly with the fixes.. subnautica.. im really compelled by it in stereo 3d.. then psvr no mans sky came out too so....

For elite without any fixes.. im definitely going with non compatibility mode.. i made the the decision that not having to undo do fundamental problems with the skybox and lights is worth it for a distorted hud. Just slowly making it through the various depth + corresponding convergence fixes that maximises the 3d effect in the cockpit and leaves the hud at least readable. Also just in case.. if you turn 3d and convergence to zero, it does work.. its basically no 3d effect in anything else but the hud, it pops off the screen, and you also you get the distinction between your ship being separate from the star background that you don't in normal.

... in all honesty though, there are other games that are amazing me without having to deal with some sort of compromise, i think im finally going to fall for them this time. Add another thing to elite where its just a bad show compared to the others :)

• Like (+1)
Well I think you guys are doing something wrong.. The stars are set at Infinity they can not go further back and the Milky way is a combination of a lot of stars and is not outside the stars but within just grouped together in the center..

I had a few guys test this and they never said the stars looked wrong. but like I was saying ED could have changed something recently and made them break again in which casy you would just need to find the broken shader and reapply the fix to it..

AS to the the guy handing out scripts for fixes, what did you do to change the stars that is not done in the fix??

and Compatiblity mode is a standalone thing it does NOT require the fix at Helixmod blog to work..

Top Bottom