OA and Dj truthsayer discuss update news

The fact that while I enjoy combat, it's only one of the things i do in game - I never grind, I only recently unlocked the cutter because i've simply earned it naturally rather than going out of my way for it - as I say to Ant in the video, I will eventually get combat elite - same way I got my cutter, it'll simply be a long time until then. So I guess the answer to your question is simply my play style, and an extreme aversion to grinding :D

I've a similar number of hours logged, and I'm not Elite in anything yet. I did some grinding though. I'm not keen to do any more.

Given how easy it is to get around these days, and that you believe that you know where Raxxla is, would you not be a bit annoyed if:
a) someone else finds it first.

and

b) they weren't triple Elite, and you were wrong about that part?

Why, after 3000 hours of playing, would you not at least go there and see if you were right?

I did watch the entire stream. I didn't agree with all of it, but it was a reasonable attempt to try to decipher what it meant. The main participants speaking are a little too upbeat about some things, but that's their right. Remember that they are trying to field chat questions, and stay on topic, while dealing with audio and some streaming issues.

The conclusion isn't something that many of us would disagree with: Frontier doesn't communicate well.

Also, they need better game masters. :(

It wasn't as a bad as it usually is though. I dont doubt that ultimately they are human and are aware of the situation exactly like the rest of us players. Though the bit seems have flipped, instead of finishing frontiers job and inflating now they're using their relationship with frontier to "get through" their struggles. Poor dj truthsayer.

Anyways, yeah time to get going hey.

Last edited:
I did watch the entire stream. I didn't agree with all of it, but it was a reasonable attempt to try to decipher what it meant. The main participants speaking are a little too upbeat about some things, but that's their right. Remember that they are trying to field chat questions, and stay on topic, while dealing with audio and some streaming issues.

The conclusion isn't something that many of us would disagree with: Frontier doesn't communicate well.

Also, they need better game masters. :(

They should hire the guys from White Wolf.or Wizards of the Coast. Even on a short term basis.

Though I don't believe they're designing the next Update *specifically* for the next Generation of Consoles, I do believe there is a possibility that the delay might be partly aimed at tapping into that particular market. What I feel is more likely though, is a theory put forward by someone who is an actual programmer by trade-namely that they have decided to do a complete overhaul of the Cobra Engine (or even replace it) & that this is what caused the delay to the release date).

As for "Games as a Service", I really don't think Elite Dangerous is anywhere near fitting into that model......certainly nowhere to the degree that we see with studios like Activision, EA......& now Bethesda.

Though I don't believe they're designing the next Update *specifically* for the next Generation of Consoles, I do believe there is a possibility that the delay might be partly aimed at tapping into that particular market. What I feel is more likely though, is a theory put forward by someone who is an actual programmer by trade-namely that they have decided to do a complete overhaul of the Cobra Engine (or even replace it) & that this is what caused the delay to the release date).

As for "Games as a Service", I really don't think Elite Dangerous is anywhere near fitting into that model......certainly nowhere to the degree that we see with studios like Activision, EA......& now Bethesda.

Whaaa, cant you code? Its easy :) I still disagree with that because every software shop imaginable takes the exact opposite approach. Change as little as possible to maintain stability. Corporate middleware is in the same league of complexity as a game im sure, hundreds of thousands, if not millions of lines of code, and its simply is not a subjective option to go and rewrite 200000?? lines? Its quite a scrutinised effort, anyway. From a cost perspective its also technically a waste as you spend those man hours on features not already done. Yes, there's a valid scope to write wrongs of the past, or even needing to for advancement, but my gut feeling is no for cobra. What makes me say that its is actively being fielded in 4? 5? games right now? Probably heaps more. Especially considering its multiplatform. That's my take anyway. Its something you don't *want* to do as a developer.

Don't say that as you'll upset lots of people. Planet coaster and jwe were both released under games as a service, so if you're telling them now that what they're doing doesn't count thats not very nice :)

Last edited:
I don't think waiting for next-gen consoles would be slowing anything down. Frankly, if the Elite content coming won't work on an Xbox One X, there's a lot of low-end PC players who are about to have a pretty bad time...

Edit: I also doubt that there's a replacement for the Cobra engine coming any time soon... and if there was, it's not an Elite-specific team that will be on it. As has been mentioned, they're not going the rip the back-end out of the engine that's supporting all their games. Companies don't fitz about with an engine if they don't have to.

Last edited:
The next gen consoles? , the ED has generated significant amount of money for last three years by keeping the player base in dark, thus raising the expectations and keeping us hooked to the game. Why should they put more money for development if they can earn money by doing cheap QoL Improvements? They just made a long shot putting the next milestone 2 years in future to raise the expectations even more.

Edit: Sometime in the middle of 2020 they will decide what to do: to assemble something in the very last moment or to shut down the servers. Meanwhile you can dream for any feature, how big and full with content the next DLC could be and keep visiting the frontier store.

Last edited:
While I respectfully disagree with OA's and DJ's light critiques , overall they emphasized repeatedly that the 2020 goal for a major upgrade was a good indication of Frontier's commitment and a positive future for the game. ED is that much of a harder game and simworld to majorly change or update. They were understandingly worried about the interim with little details revealed. I think it'll be fine because FD will likely announce the quarterly interim updates as they get close and are ready to be implemented as they've often done before. I agree with DJ where like him I would buy an LEP for ED if Frontier offered it again at this point.

Absolutely. Since Horizons, there has been no further requirement to purchase anything extra to play the entire functionality of the game and no mmo type subscription. The free upgrade of Beyond was a great sign of Frontier's goodwill and support to ED customers (who had at least Horizons) and the playerbase as well as continued commitment to the game. New players are discovering the game and how special it is continuously. It's a shame and frankly ludicrous there are nonsensical vocal minority attempts to equate Frontier and FD to the worst shenanigans of other studios (and cig-arrette ponzis) that have made "games as a service" into a black mark of the industry.

Last edited:
The fact that while I enjoy combat, it's only one of the things i do in game - I never grind, I only recently unlocked the cutter because i've simply earned it naturally rather than going out of my way for it - as I say to Ant in the video, I will eventually get combat elite - same way I got my cutter, it'll simply be a long time until then. So I guess the answer to your question is simply my play style, and an extreme aversion to grinding :D

Greetings can you give a direction what to investigate to find raxla in the bubble, I doing now DW2 and after that it will not take long to become triple elite and we can see of you are right were it is.

Last edited:
Greetings can you give a direction what to investigate to find raxla in the bubble, I doing now DW2 and after that it will not take long to become triple elite and we can see of you are right were it is.

I wonder if perhaps the very need to be Triple Elite is a clue? I can't imagine djtruthsayer dishing out any hints and surrendering the glory!

Top Bottom