OA and Dj truthsayer discuss update news

The discussion between DJ and Ant was interesting, actually. The takeaway, which I agree with, is the messaging (and lack of info) rather than the content of the news was a problem. More information would have people talking about that, rather than the 18 month wait for the 'new era'.

The discussion between DJ and Ant was interesting, actually. The takeaway, which I agree with, is the messaging (and lack of info) rather than the content of the news was a problem. More information would have people talking about that, rather than the 18 month wait for the 'new era'.

Frontier has always had a messaging problem.

I was kinda hoping that once biscuit boy left that the CM team might approach things in a slightly more professional manner but this latest messaging problem indicates its just gonna be more of the same.

I listened to five seconds of it at random, by accident.

Someone was complaining that they will never find Raxxla because they can't be bothered to grind for combat Elite.

Like, that's the real problem right now.

So much nonsense to unpick there.

Hi :D

So i was talking about my theory on Raxxla, and that, despite thinking I know where it is, that if i'm right, I can't go there without combat elite, something which, despite 3000 hours of gameplay doing everything I can within the game, i'm nowhere near. I was talking about the fact that, as things stand, it's my only remaining in game goal, and it's not something I would want to grind.

Context is amazing. I also stated quite openly that i'm taking a break from the game atm, and that's what lead to the conversation on Raxxla and my theories about it. Total time spent on that is about 5 minutes, most of the rest of it is talking about the messaging from fdev, and how we feel it's failing them as a company and us as a community.

But hey, you get salty over 5 seconds of out of context conversation. You do you boo ;)

So i was talking about my theory on Raxxla, and that, despite thinking I know where it is, that if i'm right, I can't go there without combat elite, something which, despite 3000 hours of gameplay doing everything I can within the game, i'm nowhere near. I was talking about the fact that, as things stand, it's my only remaining in game goal, and it's not something I would want to grind

Sounds like my summary was fairly accurate. Thanks for the clarification.

I hope you find Herobrine too.

So i was talking about my theory on Raxxla, and that, despite thinking I know where it is, that if i'm right, I can't go there without combat elite, something which, despite 3000 hours of gameplay doing everything I can within the game, i'm nowhere near. I was talking about the fact that, as things stand, it's my only remaining in game goal, and it's not something I would want to grind.

Context is amazing. I also stated quite openly that i'm taking a break from the game atm, and that's what lead to the conversation on Raxxla and my theories about it. Total time spent on that is about 5 minutes, most of the rest of it is talking about the messaging from fdev, and how we feel it's failing them as a company and us as a community.

But hey, you get salty over 5 seconds of out of context conversation. You do you boo ;)

Forgive my interruption but what you're saying is a bit contradictory.

You claim to have spent 3000 hours doing everything you can within the game. If that is the case then what prevented you from getting to Elite?

Sounds like my summary was fairly accurate. Thanks for the clarification.

I hope you find Herobrine too.

Holy wow, you can't even read a whole comment to get context. just to recclarify "I also stated quite openly that i'm taking a break from the game atm, and that's what lead to the conversation on Raxxla and my theories about it. Total time spent on that is about 5 minutes, most of the rest of it is talking about the messaging from fdev, and how we feel it's failing them as a company and us as a community."

So, no, combat grind isn't the biggest issue facing Elite by a long way, and my personal goal of finding Raxxla has literally nothing to do with the overall conversation - it was me clarifying an issue I personally had in response to someone in chats question.

So again, no, your summary is so far from accurate it's silly.

Well, I'd love to trawl through the solid two hours of blow-by-blow commentary to find it, but strangely enough, I can't be bothered. Maybe you could point out the context for us.
Don't worry Deadlock, there's nothing anyone can say that will change anything, your comment did its job and we all came away thinking that we're glad you're here because you'll talk about the big issues when others avoid them.

[haha][haha][haha][haha][haha]

Last edited:
Frontier has always had a messaging problem.

I was kinda hoping that once biscuit boy left that the CM team might approach things in a slightly more professional manner but this latest messaging problem indicates its just gonna be more of the same.
The messaging doesn't come from the CM team, they are the conduit for the message. Don't shoot the ... etc.

Forgive my interruption but what you're saying is a bit contradictory.

You claim to have spent 3000 hours doing everything you can within the game. If that is the case then what prevented you from getting to Elite?

The fact that while I enjoy combat, it's only one of the things i do in game - I never grind, I only recently unlocked the cutter because i've simply earned it naturally rather than going out of my way for it - as I say to Ant in the video, I will eventually get combat elite - same way I got my cutter, it'll simply be a long time until then. So I guess the answer to your question is simply my play style, and an extreme aversion to grinding :D

What William needs to do now:

Find the devs who did:

Nebulas
New alien life
New lighting
New BGS

Discovery Scanner them in depth. These are interesting off the bat. Do them once a fortnight. Keep Frontier Extra for fluffy planet pictures and inevitable DW. Put these on in the weeks inbetween.

Talk to the devs on slim updates. Release a TBC shedule for them, and ask for realistic suggestions for later ones that can change.

For each slim update involve the community a bit with KISS rules (change one variable type thing, not omagerd the DSS is chrap like changes).

For example, FD ask about experimental effects for weapons that are underachieving or have been made obsolete. What do you want to change? Put it to us. Make Thermal Conduit act like Death Blossom? Nice idea Cmdr. Have a short Discovery Scanner with the finalists being fired. Whats that Timmy? PP modules a bit pants? Lets look at them, discuss and change! Toads cooking laser ineffective? Lets play and change it.

Keep this going. Find small isolated issues and involve us. Engineering has tons of them that can be fixed with a single stat change. Make it two way, we say, they fix and talk us through the changes.

The bottom line is that 'Maintenance Mode' can be an opportunity to engage with us. Mix in pic of the week for the new stuff, interviews for other staff, work those beans. Rather than make us wait x amount of time, be proactive and seed these streams, pictures and opportunities and keep us going.

What I fear is that FD view Frontier Extra as enough plus announcements. They are not, they are the bare minimum dry bones.

Holy wow, you can't even read a whole comment to get context. just to recclarify "I also stated quite openly that i'm taking a break from the game atm, and that's what lead to the conversation on Raxxla and my theories about it. Total time spent on that is about 5 minutes, most of the rest of it is talking about the messaging from fdev, and how we feel it's failing them as a company and us as a community."

So, no, combat grind isn't the biggest issue facing Elite by a long way, and my personal goal of finding Raxxla has literally nothing to do with the overall conversation - it was me clarifying an issue I personally had in response to someone in chats question.

So again, no, your summary is so far from accurate it's silly.

DJ, with all due respect, chill. I heard the part in question, as I actually bothered to listen to more than 5 minutes. You have nothing to justify. Some people (on this forum and in this community) simply can't grasp the idea that they are wrong ... which ironically, is the root of why Frontier stay silent 99% of the time. Just look at Will's last update. A medium length post with (even by my own admission) some positive info in it, and some members of this community (me included) focused only on "2020".

If I had the power, I'd love to make this community chill and calm down, because we do act like children (yes, even me) and for that, I don't blame Frontier for staying silent (but it's still bloody annoying).

Last edited by a moderator:
What William needs to do now:

Find the devs who did:

Nebulas
New alien life
New lighting
New BGS

Discovery Scanner them in depth. These are interesting off the bat. Do them once a fortnight. Keep Frontier Extra for fluffy planet pictures and inevitable DW. Put these on in the weeks inbetween.

Talk to the devs on slim updates. Release a TBC shedule for them, and ask for realistic suggestions for later ones that can change.

For each slim update involve the community a bit with KISS rules (change one variable type thing, not omagerd the DSS is chrap like changes).

For example, FD ask about experimental effects for weapons that are underachieving or have been made obsolete. What do you want to change? Put it to us. Make Thermal Conduit act like Death Blossom? Nice idea Cmdr. Have a short Discovery Scanner with the finalists being fired. Whats that Timmy? PP modules a bit pants? Lets look at them, discuss and change! Toads cooking laser ineffective? Lets play and change it.

Keep this going. Find small isolated issues and involve us. Engineering has tons of them that can be fixed with a single stat change. Make it two way, we say, they fix and talk us through the changes.

The bottom line is that 'Maintenance Mode' can be an opportunity to engage with us. Mix in pic of the week for the new stuff, interviews for other staff, work those beans. Rather than make us wait x amount of time, be proactive and seed these streams, pictures and opportunities and keep us going.

What I fear is that FD view Frontier Extra as enough plus announcements. They are not, they are the bare minimum dry bones.
Good suggestions.

I'd like to see stuff like this.

What I think's worth bearing in mind though as that what's being asked for aren't zero cost activities. They take time and resource. That means diverting that time and resource away from other activities.

Is everyone going to be happy with that?

Good suggestions.

I'd like to see stuff like this.

What I think's worth bearing in mind though as that what's being asked for aren't zero cost activities. They take time and resource. That means diverting that time and resource away from other activities.

Is everyone going to be happy with that?

If everything is organised properly, it won't be a massive drain, it becomes a win-win. Devs make stuff that matters to us, and we get a hand in that and are entertained along the way.

Bear in mind a lot of these changes are single variables, the only issue would be getting our clients updated with them. With correct scheduling it would have minimal impact.

Nice stream, starts to get going around 1:02:00 I think.

I hadn't heard that fdev spent much time/effort on the Emperor's Dawn storyline before now - it always seemed very throw-away so I basically ignored it. Points to the issues around doing more events in-game - half the community will ignore it as they jump repeatedly between Ceos and Sothis while shouting over their shoulder about how grindy the game is, the other 50% will try and de-rail and storyline 'in order to teach fdev a lesson'.

I still look forward to seeing what they put together :)

The basic point of the stream is one I fully agree with - fdev need to tell us more about what they plan for the game over the short/medium and long term.

We should have a good idea about what they plan to fix in 3.3, an overview of what is coming next in 2019, and some vague hints about what the 2020 release is about. I would be happy if they just posted a picture of a boot, or a cloud, or preferably a boot stomping a cloud :D (need to work on that last pic!)

Last edited:
If everything is organised properly, it won't be a massive drain, it becomes a win-win. Devs make stuff that matters to us, and we get a hand in that and are entertained along the way.

Bear in mind a lot of these changes are single variables, the only issue would be getting our clients updated with them. With correct scheduling it would have minimal impact.
Well I agree in principle! I'd have to say though that in practicality things never go as smoothly as they do in principle.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that stuff is all for a particular section of the playerbase. The entire Frontier Forum has 107,276 members. No idea what % of that is for ED, but let's say it's high, maybe 90,000. The ED subreddit has just over 150,000 subscribers. As of 30th Nov '18, ED had sold over 3 Million units. Obviously a comparison of those number is just a very superficial view of things, and there's a lot more factors in play in reality, but it probably still provides a bit of an indicator of something that will play a role in decisions about resource allocation.

It also illustrates a bit of the risk around the principle of 'Devs make stuff that matters to us'. - who's the 'us', how representative are they of the current playerbase as a whole, and how much valid insight do they have into new player experiences and things similar to that?

There's also the issue that some people will get what they want and others won't. There's not going to be no fallout from that.

All that stuff means that everything requires much more planning, preparation, and subsequent management. Again, that all takes resource.

Anyway, that's all got long winded. TL;DR - I like what you're suggesting, suspect that it might not all be as practical as it sounds, but hope that we do get some of it! :)

Top Bottom