Obnoxious number of crashes to desktop since update 12.1/2

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Hey all.
Just to let you know I'm keeping an eye on this thread for you o7
Stability issues really do remain very important to everyone and investiagations continue on as reports come in.
I wish I could provide anything more at the moment - stability issues are some of the most illusive.
Some of the hardest things to nail down, in fact, but we'll keep going with your continued, amazing efforts with reporting.
As soon as we know more on progress around crashes we'll be there.

Hey all.
Just to let you know I'm keeping an eye on this thread for you o7
Stability issues really do remain very important to everyone and investiagations continue on as reports come in.
I wish I could provide anything more at the moment - stability issues are some of the most illusive.
Some of the hardest things to nail down, in fact, but we'll keep going with your continued, amazing efforts with reporting.
As soon as we know more on progress around crashes we'll be there.
Some anecdata: I noticed that a quick and repeatable way to have the game crash, is to - after having started into the game - return to the main menu then go back into the game. The game crashes not long after.

sallymorganmoore

Some anecdata: I noticed that a quick and repeatable way to have the game crash, is to - after having started into the game - return to the main menu then go back into the game. The game crashes not long after.
Genar is your Forum name your in game Commander name?
I'm regularly, stealthily collecting Commander account names I see around here that have nasty, repeat offender crashes, to aid toward farming specific crash logs to help with find patterns in these things.

Genar is your Forum name your in game Commander name?
I'm regularly, stealthily collecting Commander account names I see around here that have nasty, repeat offender crashes, to aid toward farming specific crash logs to help with find patterns in these things.
Hi, It's Genar_Hofoen - with the understroke.

Also note that every time I try to send a crash report from the crash reporter, the crash reporter crashes :)

Rgds o7

p.s. I haven't played for a week or so. I'll boot into Windows now and do a couple of exits to menu and return into game, see if it still does what I observed - and you should get some record of it. If the crash reporter crashes I'll sling in a screenshot here, for added value.

sallymorganmoore

Hi, It's Genar_Hofoen - with the understroke.
Perfect, thank you!

Also note that every time I try to send a crash report from the crash reporter, the crash reporter crashes :)
I won't lie, this sits at the top (but slightly separate) side of my current known issues list around stability! It's not helping matters for many for sure but we've got this o7

p.s. I haven't played for a week or so. I'll boot into Windows now and do a couple of exits to menu and return into game, see if it still does what I observed - and you should get some record of it. If the crash reporter crashes I'll sling in a screenshot here, for added value.
Truly, please don't feel you have to give up your day to get us something in this way - I've made a note of what you're doing to pass on to QA but also...HUGE thank you for contributing to nailing into these with us o7

Last edited:
For the first time since 2018, Elite has become unplayable for me.
I'm having constant crashes after killing a scout or when approaching AX conflict zones.
The crash takes place right before the scout's explosion.

sallymorganmoore

I'm having constant crashes after killing a scout or when approaching AX conflict zones.
I know they're getting aggressive out there but this is next level unacceptable, Goids...
No, my above aside NR, I'll pass this forward straight away too. I don't suppose the crash reporter popped up following these instances at all did it? So I can get your logs looked at o7

I know they're getting aggressive out there but this is next level unacceptable, Goids...
No, my above aside NR, I'll pass this forward straight away too. I don't suppose the crash reporter popped up following these instances at all did it? So I can get your logs looked at o7
Hey Sally, thanks for the answer!
Yes, the crash reporter popped up and I've submited the logs.
Now, I'm also testing on other systems and with thargoid interceptors, to better understand if the issue relies only with scouts and AXCZs (with capital ships).

This is happening to me all of the time. I do have a support ticket in already (154498 (and 152693 before it)), but my commander name is Aerodeon, if it's helpful in any way.

I haven't been able to send any crash logs; the crash reporter crashes :) .

sallymorganmoore

This is happening to me all of the time. I do have a support ticket in already (154498 (and 152693 before it)), but my commander name is Aerodeon, if it's helpful in any way.
Thank you so much - this is helpful and I'll just have a little poke to see where those tickets are at just to see what more information can be put into the pots on dev side (in case they haven't made it across already).

I haven't been able to send any crash logs; the crash reporter crashes :) .
Oooohhh I can absolutely understand the frustration over this one. A very known issue on our side so will keep this high up too o7

I've been having issues with my ISP, so I thought it was just on my end.
But yesterday I got a couple blue cobra, mauve adder, and 2 other errors, but I only got one crash report pop up, the rest were all CTD and no report even popped up.
I filled out the one I did get.
Seems like it's not just me during this patch.
Thanks for keepin up with all the craziness.

I've been sending at least 5 crash reports a day for the last week lol. Playing "Crash Report" is the new minigame? :p
(mostly occuring while standing around the concourse doing absolutely nothing. bang: ctd. although I did have one while I was in an Apex Shuttle too)

It's interesting hearing others reports. Mine are always the same. Always occur only on planet surface on uninhabited planets. Performance is stable and fine, then micro stutters start, followed by a burrrrrrrrr freeze (sometimes), and then a hard stop and CTD. They are never random or unpredictable.

Solved the issue by deleting the graphics folder.

In the last couple of weeks they have not happened anymore and the steps that caused them earlier no longer do. I used to be able to get one nearly any time I used the SRV or disembarked on foot a few times. It would crash in the fade-to-black on re-entering the ship or SRV. I have not experienced those crashes of late so I guess something outside the client or PC were at play there and has cleared up. I used to crash 3 or so times each night. Now I have not crashed in a couple weeks. So something between the original report time and now has changed other than the .exe or my PC.

Top Bottom