Obsidian Ant video - ARX: Thoughts On The New Currency And What It Means

Curious are you aware of the average age of your viewers?

I do think that the arxe credits is probably a more generational issue between those who played games well before such things existed and younger players brought up on games that have them.

I was born in 85 so im somewhere in the middle but I dont view arxe being added as a bad thing but I think we'll only see how good or bad it becomes when and if legs and co is added and the store is full of space suits and gun skins.
That, and also the fact that players on consoles are already accustomed to Frontier points. I don't know what the player base split is between PC and consoles, but PC players definitely getting a raw deal here, so would be surprised if the majority are a-ok with the implementation of a parallel currency.

The option to earn these in-game was implemented for no other reason than what it's being used as (edit - I should say this is my opinion, not necessarily fact of course) - an argument for Arx. Once FDev publishes further details on how easy/hard it will be to earn them, we will know whether this QoL change was that, or just a cynical move to make it easier getting the player base on side.

Will Flanagan

Community Manager
Frontier
I was in the PS4 Frontier store today and noticed that you can use your Frontier points to by ARX (incorrectly called ARC points).
Hello Hedgehobbit,

The 'Arc' product that was visible on the PS4 Frontier Store was a test product that should not have been live and has now been removed. To clarify, this is not indicative of any products coming, nor is it reflective of upcoming Arx prices, which we'll detail in the near future.

Hello Hedgehobbit,

The 'Arc' product that was visible on the PS4 Frontier Store was a test product that should not have been live and has now been removed. To clarify, this is not indicative of any products coming, nor is it reflective of upcoming Arx prices, which we'll detail in the near future.
Testing in production? Someone surely flies dangerous 😬

Arx? Still think "space wonga" would have been better. Although, reading TJ/Obsidians exchange "pints" would be a good currency... "You can't drink your pint and spend it!"

Hello Hedgehobbit,

There seems to be a bit of lather over the quantities that points will be available to buy in, and the quantities of points the cosmetics will be available for sale in.

I appreciate that the numbers are almost certainly not tied down yet but I think some clarity of intent would go down well sooner rather than later.

Personally I plan to just earn the points in-game & anything I can get is just a bonus, I don't have a horse in this race.

In aligning the store front and payment methods across all platforms, would this not be a required step to enable cross platform play ? Perhaps there's a longer term strategic goal here than just scamming the player base into paying more for an item than is absolutely necessary by packaging Arx in to oddly mismatched bundle sizes vis a vis store prices.

I am a consol user, with an odd unusable balance of Frontier Points, which is irksome.

If they were to take the {unprecedented afaia} step of allowing purchase of user determined amounts of Arx rather that set packages only, then I would have nothing to object to, and would welcome the change whole heartedly. As it stands as a console commander it will be a net benefit, due to the ability to acrue Arx via gameplay. For PC this is currently looking like a retrograde step. I await further details of the Arx ecosystem before I can form a definitive opinion, but if it is a technical preface to cross play would PC be more willing to accept it ?

Personally I plan to just earn the points in-game & anything I can get is just a bonus, I don't have a horse in this race.
It's kind of weird, and I'm not meaning this as a veiled threat or anything like that at all, but being able to change ship cosmetics anywhere will seem like less a part of the game and more a tacked on micro transaction scheme. If I can just change them around whenever, they'll mean less to me, so I'll likely be less inclined to want them.

It's kind of like when I got the Elite Explorer rank in the game. Ranking up in it had been changed around so much and made so much easier that by the time I actually got it, it was very underwhelming, to the extent that I didn't even want to be listed on the Elite Explorer roster in the Exploration section of the forums.

Maybe that's just me, and sorry for the tangent. Your post made me think of that for some reason.

Cheers.

Last edited:
It's kind of weird, and I'm not meaning this as a veiled threat or anything like that at all, but being able to change ship cosmetics anywhere will seem like less a part of the game and more a tacked on micro transaction scheme. If I can just change them around whenever, they'll mean less to me, so I'll likely be less inclined to want them.
I'd say the idea is that it'll lure more players to the liveries section, with a view to make more purchases.

Sometimes when I change paintjobs, I come across new ones, and that might tempt one to go shopping - it all makes sense if you think about it - making it easier to review a paintjob in-game, the need to improve the quality of them as a result, purchasing them directly in-game via Arx.

I don't mind any of it though (Arx concerns notwithstanding), and I do hope many of the paintjobs I already own will get a makeover as some have some shocking issues, which I only noticed after I purchased them.

As I've said before I don't really care about cosmetics, I've bought one decal pack at £2.50 (I think). They just don't really interest me.

That said I sincerely hope it's reasonably done and not more convoluted machinations by gaming companies to game their customers gaming habits. It might be ok for other games but this for (like many) is a part of my childhood and whilst I've no issues with deviation from the original, the introduction of modern gaming practices, however optional, might be something to make me consider my participation.

Just personal opinion, your mileage may vary.

Edit: The original wheel of fortune in the Engineers was a little bit like this for me. Turned it into far too much like a slot machine. Im glad they changed it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom